ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 v 182 v 172

clio 182 cup
me and my 2 mates were on our way back home the other day i have a 182 my 2 mates had a bit of a mess about and the 172 beat the 197? is this right? i thort the 197 should win?

It would be close but depends on the conditions. The 197 looks a little lardy looking at the figures.

197 (1250kg)- 161.42 bhp per ton
172 (1050kg)- 166.44 bhp per ton

clio 182 cup
both good drivers and both on same fuel, both standard apart from induction kits and the 197 is the f1 and has a full miltek he did turn his traction off though and spun alot when leaving the lights. which is quicker asstandard 197 or 182?

White clique
i think the standard 182 and 197 are the same (0-62 in 6.9??) but the 197 has different gearing so you need to chuck it through the gears a little more. I felt that my 182 had a bit more torque lower down in the rev range though.

the 182 has a higher top speed than the 197.

Turbo LY R27
both good drivers and both on same fuel, both standard apart from induction kits and the 197 is the f1 and has a full miltek he did turn his traction off though and spun alot when leaving the lights. which is quicker asstandard 197 or 182?

That might of been why mate. also the 172 is well worn in and the 197 might not be. Mine feels like a different car now mine has 20k on the clock. Agreed with the factors side. My mate had a 182 and off the lights my R27 beat him. Its just the driver. Power wise there pretty equal, my R27 pulls harder than my old 182 did. I personally think the R27 is quicker by a fraction and the speed you can carry is greater and more stable through corners. Power delivery seems quicker. Some will dissagree tho. Thats my 2 pence worth any way

Both good cars tho, i might of kept the 182 a bit longer if it didnt rattle like a marraca!!:mad:

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Do 197's make their power or are they pushing out low 180's, high 170's like the equivalent loss on the 18 and 172's?

That may make a bit of a difference as a 'good' one in Renault terms can be a fair bit quicker than a poor one as it may almost be what they claim came from the factory as standard.

Renault are really cheeky f*****s for that imo, I don't know how they justify their claims.

White clique
Do 197's make their power or are they pushing out low 180's, high 170's like the equivalent loss on the 18 and 172's?

That may make a bit of a difference as a 'good' one in Renault terms can be a fair bit quicker than a poor one as it may almost be what they claim came from the factory as standard.

Renault are really cheeky f**kers for that imo, I don't know how they justify their claims.

my 197 was rolling roaded last week - heres the graph...standard other than a software upgrade from Renault to sort out some cold start issues... 9k miles... 57 plate. My engine is still tight, i feel i have more power to come when it loosens up. The published BHP is 194, so i wasnt far off...

P1000249.gif

I can imagine some 182s and 172 cups just about pipping the post though if they have been well looked after and serviced etc. JUST.

a turbo'd yellow car

Renault are really cheeky f**kers for that imo, I don't know how they justify their claims.

my 197 was rolling roaded last week - heres the graph...standard other than a software upgrade from Renault to sort out some cold start issues... 9k miles... 57 plate. My engine is still tight, i feel i have more power to come when it loosens up. The published BHP is 194, so i wasnt far off...

P1000249.gif

I can imagine some 182s and 172 cups just about pipping the post though if they have been well looked after and serviced etc. JUST.

the 182's/ 172 cups's have a slite edge bottom and top end but nothing in it really!

when they hit 5000revs they just fly!

the 197's have a much smoother rev range and don't have such a kick!

most mrk2's make their bhp if as you say they have been driven rite!

i know the 182's come to life after 20k on the clock! so i would say the 197's would be the same!

197 Cup (JAWS)
When I had my 182 FF, I noticed it wasnt as potent after 100 as my 197. The 197 seems to get to the top line quicker than my 182 definately. But thats just me :) I love both cars, thought I wanted a 5* N Cap plus superb handling, and the 197 is all that. Speed isn't everything anyway, UK roads have limits so no matter how fast the car goes your only allowed to stick at a certain limit >< ! As for the cars in a race like mentioned all down to the driver, weight in car plus gear changing.

clio sport 172, 2002
i've got a 172 ph2, and was racing a 197 f1 back from skeg, b roads and also some a roads, and they were the same, my 172 seemed to be alot faster top end though,

a turbo'd yellow car
When I had my 182 FF, I noticed it wasnt as potent after 100 as my 197. The 197 seems to get to the top line quicker than my 182 definately. But thats just me :) I love both cars, thought I wanted a 5* N Cap plus superb handling, and the 197 is all that. Speed isn't everything anyway, UK roads have limits so no matter how fast the car goes your only allowed to stick at a certain limit >< ! As for the cars in a race like mentioned all down to the driver, weight in car plus gear changing.

when me and my mate in his 197 had a little play it was bottom and top that made my 182cup pull ahead! quite alot infact and i have a higher top speed! but yep all down to weight driver and gear change!

the 197 over all the cars is the best all round! but if you want to be apart of the car and have great fun the 182-172cup hands down!

all comes down to what you want out of the car!

ow and the gti and vxr inc astra dont tuch any of the sports for handling and speed! tryed and tested all of them before i bought mine!

yay for clios :D

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
5th gear did a Corsa and 197 around the track.. the clio won

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjL_AyuhJnc

job done!

my 5p's worth!!

Yes on 5th gear the clio went around the track faster. It was small track (Anglesea I believe, at a length of 1.1miles) with a 1:15 lap time with a straight not even big enough to hold a grid before it curves! I feel if you were to put a 197 against a Corsa VXR on a track like Silverstone the VXR would edge it as its got greater straight-line speed. As noted in the Autocar video below, which has a decent length straight and is that bit longer than the 5th gear track. And also why the VXR has the Nurburgring lap record for its class.

Corsa V’s Cup (the lighter faster more track based one) V’s swift. –
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EhCIzu21A8Q

so job... not so much done!:cool:

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Can of worms, really not much in it. At Bedford I was catching the 197 R27, but I'm on AST coilovers and Toyo R888's so I'd be dissapointed if I wasn't a little bit quicker. The 197 owner refused to believe that an older car could be quicker, so I didn't go near that conversation! 197's far better under braking though.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
And also why the VXR has the Nurburgring lap record for its class

There's never been an official time from Renault for the 197.
There is a topic over on renaultsport.co.uk discussing it though.
Auteg Motorsports who rent out 197s at the ring say a stock 197 will do 8min30s BTG with a pro driver. The VXR did 8min54s BTG.

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/community/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29922
Not another V’s.

Not going to get into it but --Why hasn’t Renault made an attempt at an official record?

Anyway …I know the 197 is a great car I just when for the Vaux.

Back to 172/182/197 please

MillerLight;4463107[FONT=Verdana said:
Not another V’s.[/FONT]

Not going to get into it but --Why hasn’t Renault made an attempt at an official record?

Anyway …I know the 197 is a great car I just when for the Vaux.

Back to 172/182/197 please

I didn't bring the nurburgring times up! Just added what I know!

german
If the world ended today at least we wouldn't have to suffer any more of these "which is faster" threads
FFS, they're all about the same.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
if you own a chavchariot, that is fastest.

if you own the vxr, that is fastest.

if you own a 197, that is fastest.

continue into oblivion ...

MCS R56
If the world ended today at least we wouldn't have to suffer any more of these "which is faster" threads
FFS, they're all about the same.

This may happen, if the Swiss c**k up today!

And then we will all have to start all over again in another dimension, where Renaults are Ferraris and Vauxhalls are Vauxhalls.

Is this not a Clio comparison thread?