ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

You are using R19 shafts though pepino?

Whiteley was having issues running 172 shafts with those R19 wishbones, as there was not enough 'free' room for the shaft.....so they must be too short

182 bottom arms are the same (apart from castor) as far as I managed to find out

ibiza cupra
you got some skills mate just read most of the thread (as i dont have 3 weeks to read the lot lol) but youve put a load of effort into this mate. got a lot of respect for you.
also it made me laugh that at the start of the tread you were saying that no one was interested in it but now im writting the 1122 reply to it lol.

BMW M5 & E36
Were definitely 19 16v wishbones first time round, bought using a 19's reg at my local factors. As said, the problem came from running 172 shafts with them. With 19 shafts you'd be fine as they're shorter.

Kevin, thanks :)

BMW M5 & E36
A bit of a different post this one, but I thought it to be quite fitting. The picture below is of my Dad, he died of bowel cancer 3 years ago to the day, October 16th 2006. His passion for anything mechanical is how I've ended up being so heavily into cars. I was only 17 at the time he passed away so didn't really know a great deal about anything. I'd like to think I've learnt an awful lot in the past few years and I know for a fact that he'd be incredibly proud. RIP Dad :(

dad.jpg

'10 Clio200
You are using R19 shafts though pepino?

Whiteley was having issues running 172 shafts with those R19 wishbones, as there was not enough 'free' room for the shaft.....so they must be too short

182 bottom arms are the same (apart from castor) as far as I managed to find out
yes, i'm using R19 shafts.
i was just shocked with the difference that made using 182 bottom arms in Whiteleys valver, because i was 100% sure those two types of bottom arms are identical.
learning a lot here btw :)

BMW M5 & E36
Bought the car a year ago today, it's come a fair old way really. New suspension being ordered today as a little present to myself!

BMW M5 & E36
FK Konigsport's, the adjustable damping ones. Wanted KW V2 ideally but couldn't justify the extra, especially as i need to modify them anyway

R27
I've just browsed through most of this thread and all I can say is wow, is there anything you can't do with a car?

I wish i had the the drive you obviously have, i've always wanted to do something like this but i wouldn't know where to start.

You've done an awful lot in the past year. Do you have many more plans for it or will you be looking for another project soon?

BMW M5 & E36
Cheers Mark. Being honest, i didn't really know alot when i got the car so its been a massive learning experience for me more than anything, Daz helped me out alot at the start and over last winter and i'm sure he's noticed how much i've come on too. Now i'm happy to tackle most bits! I've just ordered some suspension as said above, so that's been quite a big spend, no other plans at the moment other than get some use of out it though. It'll be coming off the road after 2x Oulton Park trackdays next month for a winter rebuild so i'll see if any more new bits take my fancy then. If i pull my finger out then i might make the meet on Saturday in it. Apologies for lack of paragraph's- phone doesn't do them!

RB 197
RIP..your Dad would be mega proud of you!

Your an intelligent, clever young man and a minter at that!! I'm glad your my fwend.

ValverInBits
Well done on a years ownership mate. The old man would be proud I'm sure.

I remember the MSN convos I had with you when you were buying this car. You nearly didn't bother after that first insurance quote iirc? So glad you did in the end.

BMW M5 & E36
I can barely remember what went on last week, never mind a year ago. I'm glad I did too though - it'd have been worth it for the knowledge gained alone :)

Now I have two of the damn things to deal with! :D

4 more tyres turned up at work today too:

27102009845.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
IIRC, you have bought this car, fitted 3 engines, done 1001 modifications and about 50 track days.....

Mine is still in bits and I started before you even bought the car! :(

R27
Cheers Mark. Being honest, i didn't really know alot when i got the car so its been a massive learning experience for me more than anything, Daz helped me out alot at the start and over last winter and i'm sure he's noticed how much i've come on too. Now i'm happy to tackle most bits! I've just ordered some suspension as said above, so that's been quite a big spend, no other plans at the moment other than get some use of out it though. It'll be coming off the road after 2x Oulton Park trackdays next month for a winter rebuild so i'll see if any more new bits take my fancy then. If i pull my finger out then i might make the meet on Saturday in it. Apologies for lack of paragraph's- phone doesn't do them!

What suspension you got on the car atm?

With the weight of the car, coilovers and your new toyo's its gonna handle well when you've finished!! Something to match the straight line speed :cool:

BMW M5 & E36
What suspension you got on the car atm?

With the weight of the car, coilovers and your new toyo's its gonna handle well when you've finished!! Something to match the straight line speed :cool:

GAZ adjustable rear shocks, Bilstein front dampers and some cheapo lowering springs. It's the springs letting it down more than anything. And i'll be able to play with spring rates on the new ones should I feel the need. Don't be fooled though, it still handles superbly with the 172 front end as anyone who's been out on track with me will agree! :D

BMW M5 & E36
Sorted my wheels and tyres out for fitting earlier. Having 2 of the new Toyo's on a pair of black wheels to replace a worn out pair and they'll stay as road wheels for the car, then the other pair of new Toyo's are going on 2 silver Cup racer wheels. I'm then having my 2nd Dunlop slick fitted onto a silver wheel to match the one I already have fitted. Slightly confusing, but I'll end up with

4 x Toyo T1R on black Williams wheels
2 x Toyo T1R on silver Cup wheels
2 x Dunlop Slick on silver Cup wheels

Dry track day: Slicks front, T1R back. Wet trackday: T1R all round. Road: T1R.

Ready for swapping about

28102009846.jpg

Temporary stands (yes another set of wheels)

28102009847.jpg

Hero tyre man Squibby collecting the lot to do at his work in the next day or two

28102009852.jpg

And a random engine bay shot from above

28102009849.jpg

BMW M5 & E36
Got all my wheels and tyres back today from being fitted. Thanks again Squibby if you happen to read this.

29102009853.jpg

Pair of slicks ready to go, hopefully at least one of the Oulton Park Trackdays I'm doing next month will stay dry

29102009854.jpg

Fitted a couple of bonnet pins to allow me to take the bonnet off quickly for working on the thing. I plan on pinning it at the back at some point too, as it's just on the (nackered) standard catch for now. Not the nicest pins ever, but function over form wins for me, and cost too!

29102009855.jpg

29102009856.jpg

Car back on wheels and I went for a drive out tonight for the first time in a few weeks. It makes my other Valver seem stupidly slow!

29102009857.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Nice! There is something really satisfying about having brand new rubber fitted to your car.

BMW M5 & E36
Photo's dont show it too well, but my bonnet is a complete and utter STATE. It happened mainly when cutting the inner skin out, and pulling the skin away from the outer part.... then it got kicked around a bit face down on the drive, lol. Because of this it needs some attention. I was thinking of doing it on the cheap as usual, but going satin black to match my wheels, thoughts?

Quick photoshop effort:

blackbonnet.jpg

Last edited:
  BMW M5 & E36
Came to work in it today, and noticed a bloody great scratch along the passenger side rear quarter when i parked up. Meh. Go>show. Must have done it in the garage last night. The thought of getting the whole car painted crossed my mind briefly, but i had to remind myself what the car's used for. I'll have a bash at the bonnet later on, i have a spare blue one if it goes tits up.

BMW M5 & E36
I could have yeah. Either everything to convert from a ph2 engine (inlets/ecu/loom/tb/icv/tps etc etc) if he got hold of one of them, or failing that i may have a complete ph1 engine going spare in a few weeks time.

Like the car mate, hell of a lot of works gone into it. Just been looking thro the thread an seen the pic of your dad. I worked offshore with Spence, he was a great guy, still gets talked about today. Sure he would of been proud of what you've achieved. Keep up the good work.