ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

Mk1 F4R
Few pics from Oulton Park on the 28.04.2010

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4365.jpg

IMG_4511.jpg

IMG_4513.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4652.jpg

IMG_4654.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4734.jpg

IMG_4757.jpg

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Car looks ace, must make all the effort feel worthwhile!

How did you find the RS2's on track?

BMW M5 & E36
Nice pics, how was the handling?

Good, I played about with the front damper settings a bit, could do with possibly stiffening the rears up before the next outing too, it's a bit of a ballache trackside. It could do with a few wheel bearings too, so the tracking and camber's now a fair way out because of it! Promising on the whole though and certainly an improvement :)

Car looks ace, must make all the effort feel worthwhile!

How did you find the RS2's on track?

I thought they were good, but not particularly amazing. I played with the pressures a bit and ended up on 29/27 when warm which seemed about right. Certainly better than T1R that I usually use (and ran on the back), but not enough better to warrant twice the cost IMO. They've worn a fair amount too. I'd guess that I'll get another day out of them and they'll about be on the legal limit after that, so not great on that front.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I thought they were good, but not particularly amazing. I played with the pressures a bit and ended up on 29/27 when warm which seemed about right. Certainly better than T1R that I usually use (and ran on the back), but not enough better to warrant twice the cost IMO. They've worn a fair amount too. I'd guess that I'll get another day out of them and they'll about be on the legal limit after that, so not great on that front.

Cool useful to hear feedback as I would of used them for pretty much track only and the price was massively appealing..

So you going to be going back to T1R's all round then?

I was trying to get part worn 888's or equivilent but might just end up settling with T1R's at this rate then

BMW M5 & E36
If I don't find anything else suitable then yeah probably. I know there are people on here who don't rate T1R, but on the other hand I know plenty who do. I ran them exclusively all of last year without any probs and will happily run them again for the sake of £28 a corner.

I've a pair of Dunlop slicks I need to give a try too :D

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
If I don't find anything else suitable then yeah probably. I know there are people on here who don't rate T1R, but on the other hand I know plenty who do. I ran them exclusively all of last year without any probs and will happily run them again for the sake of £28 a corner.

I've a pair of Dunlop slicks I need to give a try too :D

Yeah I dont mind them when you look at them for cost versus how much time you can save with "proper" tyres.. is only track days afterall

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
I use T1-R's on my civic on the road, and on the clio for road rallys and i wont use anything else, as i find them superb,especialy in the wet, and the cost of them for how they grip i regard them as free lol.

I use a mixture of dunlop and hankook slicks/inters/wets on stage rallys which are obviously hugely better, but they are a proper competition tyre and priced accordingly...,unfortunatly.

BMW M5 & E36
A slight issue which I found at Oulton the other week:

To run the 172 front hubs, the (Williams fitment) coilover holes need enlarging from 12 to 14mm to accept the 172 shock>hub bolts as the Mk1's use a smaller bolt. f0xy has been running his like this for over a year now without fault, so he had my holes machined by the same chap that did his. Fitted perfectly when I originally fitted them so thought no more of it.

Throughout the day at Oulton I seemed to gain more camber on one side. Now I knew my bearing on that corner was about shot, so I thought this might have had something to do with it. Anyway, not wanting to waste the day I carried on regardless, lol.

When i went to take the hubs off to change bearings, the problem became obvious. The holes in the coilover had enlarged and ovalled. Whether this is down to FK using monkey metal, the holes now being too big (as above, EXACTLY the same as Jord has run for a year), or the mega grip my Mk1 produces (;)), I don't know.

Anyway, I set about rectifying this and strengthening the mounting plates. I have about 6/7mm spare thread on the 172 bolts so I can get away with adding 3mm thickness to each side. Found a fair size offcut at work and set about making something suitable. So far I've managed the following, just 1 out of 4 done so far. Only one shock seems to have enlarged, the other is as I put it on...? Anyway, I'll do both shocks to hopefully eliminate any problems in the future.

As you'll be able to see also, the ABS sensor thing at the top of the shock (with tapped hole in) isn't welded to the side plates as standard. Why this is I'm not sure, as it'd strengthen them up no end. So i tied that in too while I was at it.

IMG_3852-1024.jpg

IMG_3855-1024.jpg

IMG_3860-1024.jpg

IMG_3859-1024.jpg

IMG_3857-1024.jpg

Comments/suggestions welcome as ever

ValverInBits
My first thought is that it would have something to do with how tight you've done the bolts up. Really tight>lots of friction>less direct shear load or looser>bit of movement allowed>excessive force concentrated on the hole circumference

What material is that coilover tube made from? Is it just a zinc coating or something?

Yeah they are just plated/coated, eventually comes off and goes crusty (over the past year on mine)...

I have always ran the coilovers, so I just measured the width of the coilover and machined the hub down to that which is a very tight fit on mine just how I wanted it...

Chris originally ground his shocks down to the width of the Billies he had on last year, so there may be a different dimension somewhere - so as its been tightened the sides have squashed inwards

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
They are just made from zinc plated steel. The zinc plating corrodes off after a while so might be worth sealing them with something if you want them to last longer.

I think this has happened because you tried to field mod them and use them for something their not designed to do, it wont be because of the spec of the metal.

Will 172 coil overs not fit now you have 172 running gear?

They are just made from zinc plated steel. The zinc plating corrodes off after a while so might be worth sealing them with something if you want them to last longer.

I think this has happened because you tried to field mod them and use them for something their not designed to do, it wont be because of the spec of the metal.

Will 172 coil overs not fit now you have 172 running gear?

They're too tall IIRC

I modded mine (machined hubs down and made the holes 0.5mm larger) in October 2008, covered 20k and alot of trackdays and they are still as they were - same coilovers, same setup, never had an issue like this...

The only difference is - I milled my hubs down on a milling machine, to an accurate figure (.5mm) so it was a perfect match for my coilover - whereas Chris used a grinder and matched it to his old 'standard style' Billies...which could well be different to the FK's, or his hubs are just not accurate enough. It would explain the sides squashing in under tightening (i.e. the hub being too narrow)

M

mini-valver

LF??

The only problem you may have now is by welding on the shock tube, you're getting the actual damper internals SUPER hot and could have cooked the oil, melted a seal/O-ring etc etc. May be ok but you never know!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm confused...

How would the bub beng too narrow cause the shocks bolt holes to elongate??

I'm a pussy and didn't want to take a milling machine to my brand new shocks so i'm using a collar over the original valver hub bolts! lol.

BMW M5 & E36
Right front.

The heat did cross my mind, and I was going to remove the insert from the tube all before welding, but all the welding I did was additions to the mounting points and not directly onto the tube itself. Also let it completely cool between each weld so I didn't generate too much heat.

BMW M5 & E36
I'm confused...

I don't think it would. It's a minimal amount, so I'm fairly sure it's got to be down to enlarging the holes and leaving a very small amount of material to the outside of the holes.

I'm confused...

I'm a pussy and didn't want to take a milling machine to my brand new shocks so i'm using a collar over the original valver hub bolts! lol.

I wasnt on about the holes enlarging, i was on about the deformation of the mounts - i.e. closing/squashing together