ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1997/8 Clio 1.4 Maxim - Timing Belt

Clio Maxim 1.4
My dad and I have had the head skimmed and have put most of the engine back together...

But have came across an issue... The Timing Belt

We have lined up the bottom mark and pull it in line with the top mark, when we tighten the tensioner, the front part of the belt is still not tight... How can we rectify this?

Any ideas and experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

David

LY 182
you need to get the un tensioned side tight first ie all the slack on the tensioner side, otherwise you'll never tension it up

Clio Maxim 1.4
I understand that, but even though they are both at the right markers shouldn't it be tight? Had heard from somewhere we might need to wind the engine on a couple of times?!?

LY 182
it wont be automatically no.

get the two pulleys on the timing marks and put the belt on.
if its not tight on the side with no tensioner.. put a spanner on the cam pulley and gently turnt it anticlockwise to take the slack out of the un tensioned side.
check they are both lined up still, if its gone a tooth out move the cam clockwise 1 tooth and do the same thing again you will find its now lined up.
hold the anticlockwise pressure on the cam whilst tensioning the belt if need me, that will keep it tight all the way round.

the tensioner itself will never have the leverage to pull the pulleys round itself..

after the belt feels tight on all sides. turn the engine over twice (crank pulley twice, cam pulley once) and check marks are alligned