ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2.0 turbo

Lionel Richie
the biggest restriction on the 225 engine is the throttle body and inlet manifold, other than that, decent rods and pistons, decent intercooler and a custom exhaust manifold and bigger turbo = happy days

Now.. Someone will have happy days if you get to fit the Megane Sport Engine and gearbox in a Clio. That would be Awesome!!!!

Someone do it NOW!!!! heheh

Renault Clio 1.6 Dyn
Hey Fred. My name is Ryan and i am from South Africa. I have a 2002 Clio 1.6 Dynamique. Do you have any more info on the F4RT conversion in the clio? Any pics, etc? Cool site!

Tangoed Works
I remember a company that used to put cossie lumps into pretty much any car you wanted. DJ Motorsport or something like that, used to appear a lot in Revs back in the day.

They did a R5 GTT with 4x4 cossie power 360bhp. They had also done it to a 205 gti. I'm sure if they are still about, they may be able to custom make you mounts for the 225 lump, or even shoehorn you in a cossie lump.

That would be mental!

would the 5 speed box from a clio not fit
Nope not directly you could dapter plate it but for simplicity plus the 5 speeds at its limits with 200NM so 300NM stock out of a 225 would kill it.
If its the same bottom end, couldnt you simply slap the head on and all the other bits?

Infact how can it be the same bottom end? I cant imagine a clio running boost on standard internals lasting long. :S
Its not the same its all new realy just similar in some ways the whole engine built for turboing biger and stronger etc.

Why stick the head on a 172 B/E though you want low CR pistons etc might as well make the whole engine fit then you've got the liner for the turbo the bigger bottom bearing etc and a bottom end built for more torque etc even stock and a lower cr etc sorted for 300hp out the box mapped wheras a 172 B/E is about 220hp limited with stock fuels.

Clio Sport 172 ph1
Bit old topic but I think worth refreshing :)

If I were to get something like this:

full set fot a straight swap, engine running and well
reasonable price, about 2,5k in British Pounds

Will I extract everything I need, from that piece of the car, to do the job ?
I mean engine and gearbox mounts and other bits and pieces to fit it right.
Or will it be a long manufacturing process anyway ?

Evora, C-HR & A180
id like to see this done with pics too, id imagine a megane engine and gearbox in a 182 to make very quick (even quicker) little car

ValverInBits
that seems quite a lot to pay for it tbh. Not sure what you'd make back selling parts you don't need ie wheels

I thought the issue with fitting these is the gearboxes? The 225 6 speed is too long to get in the clio bay. Not sure if you'd get a 1*2 box on, probably i'd imagine.

See if you can barter down the price a bit.

2003 Clio 172
I did search and can find plenty of threads with Megane 225 motors, turbos, etc, but have not found a completed Megane 225 to Clio 172 conversion including the 6 speed gearbox. Certainly I don't know of anyone in Australia who has yet done this. A mate of mine in Oz is doing a similar project and is well advance but his build involves a lot of engine and turbo modifications which I am trying to avoid, I am playing a bit of catch up here but steaming ahead at the moment, my aim is to keep the motor build as stock as possible and maybe do some improvements down the track.

I have a Clio 172 2003 model which I blew the engine in last year, I also just bought a Megane 225 from the salvage auction with a 100k engine and gearbox. A quaife has been ordered to go with the gearbox.

There will be a large number of challenges to overcome though.
1. No Hydraulic power steering with the Megane engine
2. Chassis modifications and custom engine mount need to be made
3. Dump pipe from the turbo will hit the brake lines and boil the fluid on the brake lines on the firewall and in the reservoir
4. The Megane uses a hydraulic clutch with the master cylinder mounted onto the back of the clutch pedal and hooked up to the brake reservoir and the gearbox.
5. I don't want to use a small intercooler
6. There may be issues closing the bonnet as it looks like it may hit the Megane inlet manifold
7. Custom drive shafts need to be manufactured
8. Custom alternator bracket needs to be manufactured

There are some solutions to the above issues:
1. I want to try and retain the Clio brake booster and master cylinder
2. I want to try to retain the stock 225 turbo, turbo manifold and inlet manifold
3. I want to use a large stage 2 intercooler
4. I want to retain 100% of the stock 225 motor
5. I want to retain the stock 225 ECU, wiring, ignition key and instrument cluster
6. I want Henk to tune it with an RS Tuner

My mission is to retain as much as possible from a stock 225 as possible.

So, let me outline some of my thoughts.

1. No Hydraulic power steering with the Megane engine
The 172 has Hydraulic power steering, but the Megane uses electric power steering ePAS. There is a CS thread and guide with details on this mod. Essentially I need to install ePAS from a standard Clio II. This involves buying the steering rack, steering column complete with ePAS motor and steering ECU, and a ebay controller for the assistance level. There are others who reused the 172 steering rack by blocking off the hydraulic lines but I decided to go with replacing the rack. Note that the stock Clio rack is also slightly less turns from lock to lock, and can be removed in the future without removing/lowering the subframe. If using the non sport rack you will need to fit the inner tie rods from the 172 as they are longer than the stock Clio ones.

I hunted down the rack and the column with ePAS motor and ECU at the wreckers for $250!!

Old column (172)
13483706384_324cb4afe0.jpg

New column from 1.4L Clio - note ePAS motor on the column. If you think you're going to reduce weight with this mod think again, the ePAS column is easily as heavy as the Hydraulic system
13483466953_e1c1ec3dfa.jpg

New ePAS rack from Clio 1.4L mounted to the subframe
13483728794_bd9bdc3d71.jpg

The Clio 1.4L steering column installed, the only thing missing now is to install the steering ECU and the ebay controller
13481981683_292bbba29c.jpg

2. Chassis modifications and custom engine mount need to be made

My mate has already built a mount for the front and rear of the engine which I am getting copied this week. The top engine mount is done by taking one off of the Clio engine and replacing the Megane one with it, plug and play.
13483134704_86fe1af7c4.jpg

The gearbox mount uses the lower half from the Megane and the top half (battery tray) from the Clio using the Clio 172 Vibra technics mount. A spacer shim is required to compensate for a slight height difference of around 6-8mm. I don't have the shim made yet, but it does bolt into place so I'd say that's right. Note that its currently a little bit out because it is hitting the chassis which requires modification.
13483136474_cdecca0a29.jpg

This pic is looking up at the end of the gearbox to show where it hits the underside lf the chassis rail. This prevents the gearbox mount from raising the gearbox any higher and required the Chassis rail to be checked out.
13482716355_3e1828e5fe.jpg

You can see here that the gearbox is currently sitting on the subframe. This won't be a problem when the chassis is modified, but the tolerances will be close hence why an extra engine mount will be used to tie the front of the gearbox to the front of the subframe.
13482695825_051f2149be.jpg

3. Dump pipe from the turbo will hit the brake lines and boil the fluid on the brake lines on the firewall and in the reservoir

The engine will tilt forward from this position once the chassis mods and mounts are done, but it is clear to see that the dump pipe will hit the brake lines. The options at this stage are (1) relocate the brake reservoir and reroute the brake lines, (2) change the manifold to one like used in the Ktec turbo conversion kit (like on my Ph1), or (3) go for the whole new brake setup with the wilwood pedal box and individual masters with the reservoirs moved onto the black plate on the firewall.
13483098624_4f0ef75f27.jpg

My current thinking is to remove the Clio reservoir and install the Megane reservoir as a remote reservoir housed in the plenum between the firewall and the dash and run pipes to the master cylinder, this is not an uncommon approach in many cars. I will remove the tar crap one day too.
13482731525_66052ec028.jpg

I was then thinking to reroute the brake lines with a sharper 90 degree bend (maybe sharper) coming out of the master and run them up through the plate on the firewall, along the plenum to the other side, then back through the firewall and down to the ABS unit. The only other thing in this space will be the washer bottle, wipers and mini demister hoses.
13483080284_55dd5ef898.jpg

4. The Megane uses a hydraulic clutch with the master cylinder mounted onto the back of the clutch pedal and hooked up to the brake reservoir and the gearbox.

My thinking on this challenge is to remove the clutch pedal from the Clio pedal box and bolt in the Megane pedal with master cylinder in its place. Looks like it will require a bolt or 2 through the firewall so I will put a plate on the engine side. The pedal will also end up a little close to the brake pedal due to a dog leg in the pedal arm. I reckon that can be straightened and create enough clearance. I would then look at running a clutch line up into the plenum where I intend to relocate the megane brake reservoir to which has a feed from the reservoir for the clutch. There would be a T piece which would then run though the plenum with the relocated brakes lines back through the firewall on the passenger side and connect to the megane hydraulic clutch line on top of the gearbox.

Pedal box from the Clio, the existing clutch pedal is closest and would be removed to make way for the megane pedal.
13481852615_6830247bd1.jpg

This is the megane clutch pedal with the clutch master cylinder attached. Some modifications to the pedal mounting will need to be made.
13481959483_3b28fcf860.jpg

Megane clutch line on top of the gearbox
13485953855_5d3f480549.jpg

5. I don't want to use a small intercooler

C'mon, when I have an intercooler like this why not try and use it? The pipes can be routed to fit and the top lip removed from the front chassis rail will need to be removed. The honeycomb from inside the front bumper goes and a big rectangle will need to be cut into the bumper to allow airflow which I will cover with a mesh to provide some protection to the IC. I reckon its do-able.

When I trial fitted the bumper it was about 100mm off fitting on one side, with the other side fitted properly.

13482909753_37cf1698d6.jpg

13483346015_dca5186e55.jpg

13469114925_b1df5c0dd9.jpg

6. There may be issues closing the bonnet as it looks like it may hit the Megane inlet manifold

I will have to wait until the mounts are done and trial fit the bonnet, more to come. I don't think this will be a problem.

7. Custom drive shafts need to be manufactured

This likely to be one of the most difficult challenges. Essentially what is required is to have megane inner drive shafts with Clio outer drive shafts. More to follow on this one.

8. Custom alternator bracket needs to be manufactured

My mate came up with a solution here which includes deleting the AC compressor and using the Clio alternator with a custom bracket, delete the tensioner and use a shorter belt.

If anybody can help fill in some of the blanks it would be much appreciated and let me get this beast onto the track ASAP.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Hi Crusty this thread is years old.. start your own build thread.. Its been done lots of times now and Im sure you will get lots of help and advice. Welcome to CS

i swapped my master cylinder for a peugeot 406 v6 master cylinder as the fittings are on the other side and had new lines made to help stop my down pipe clashing search for 225 clio build youll see in there but cant help you with the gearbox issues tho

2003 Clio 172
Fairy Muff :D share your thread with others but come here when you get stuck ;)

I thought there was a fair amount of sharing in my post. I'll happily update my progress on this process but my build thread on this car is already 20 pages, not to mention my build thread on my Flamer, or my PH1 Ktec turbo build, or my N4-ish Megane RS250. I hope I have provided a really nice summary of the challenges. I know this is all on CS somewhere, but its across dozens of threads without anything I could find really confined to only this topic. I actually read the whole ePAS thread and lost day. In the spirit of giving I also used my first post to put up photos of the control arm differences to confirm the differences between pre and post ESP Ph2 Clios. There is so much on here its pretty hard to find something new to post or share which actually adds value, and I do appreciate any help.

Anyone interested in looking further can always signup to ozrenaultsport.com - there is no charge, we're convicts after all. Whilst there isn't the mass of info like CS, everybody shares well and in detail.
:cheers: