ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 supercharger, turbo and re map and ecu

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
I say leave him to it. I have know idea why people on this forum do nothing but slate people doing anything out of the ordinary turini's and silvervision's.

I saw get it done mate and enjoy it. Your cars awesome and with SC power will be pretty much perfect.

Thanks mate

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
i've not played enough TBH, BUT the 197/200 has controlled variation so you can adjust cam timing within a range (think it's 45 or 50 degrees) and change that timing throughout the entire engine range, so basically the overlap can be controlled, rather than just a switch point like the 172/182 has. It's only the inlet that's adjustable

I apreciate the fact that with a SC it only produces a positive pressure on the inlet side and therefore works very well on NA cams.

However I can also see that with any overlap the positive pressure being blown straight through the engine and into the exhaust.

Now whilst as you've said you can adjust the inlet by 50 degrees so in theory can reduce the overlap to a more suitable level say zero, surely this will have some form of effect else where in the cycle? Possibly opening to early on the exhaust stroke or even valve piston interface?

Just a few thoughts.

Last edited:
  172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Brett said:
I have know idea why people on this forum do nothing but slate people doing anything out of the ordinary turini's and silvervision's.

Because people on here cannot think for themselves and are scared of being singled out. This is quite evident by the way certain members are bullied, not just by members. His car, his money, why not? Kev did a load of things to his 197, this is no different.

So are you running a SC clio 200 ATM then?

Aah, answer a question with another question if all else fails ;)
To answer you, no, but it's a 2.0 Renault engine, it wont make servicing come about any quicker or magically make all the parts more expensive will it?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yet another forced induction thread for people to come and share their uninformed opinions in. Great.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Yet another forced induction thread for people to come and share their uninformed opinions in. Great.

Come on Darren don't be like that, not everyone can just stroll into Ktec put 10K on the table and tell them "one of your low comp turbo conversions please, and throw in an omex for good measure" ;)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Because people on here cannot think for themselves and are scared of being singled out. This is quite evident by the way certain members are bullied, not just by members. His car, his money, why not? Kev did a load of things to his 197, this is no different.

Aah, answer a question with another question if all else fails ;)
To answer you, no, but it's a 2.0 Renault engine, it wont make servicing come about any quicker or magically make all the parts more expensive will it?

Yes as we all know the evo would need servicing every 6 months- 4.5k, and the parts are more expensive to replace. And not everyone wants/ likes Evos Subaru's etc.

But the car would hold a lot more value then a SC 200 and be a lot easier to sell on.

Now IIRC the 197-200 already returns crap MPG, (I'm guessing) supercharger will only make that figure drop, and make the car more expensive to run-maintain.

At the end of the day, I think supercharging a cheap 172 makes sense, not a expensive Clio 200.

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
Not sure if Id bother mate, not on a new car. would you not have just bought something faster to start with? Fair play to you for giving it a go though, dont think I'd have the cajones to go ripping into a brand new engine lol.

Nice to see you got the right colour though. any pics?

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
go for it mate, will be awesome to see it done,

I can not see why people discourage performance development on clio's, and always try and knock people down, it honestly looks like jealousy

any idea how the chassis will cope through the corners due to the boost? I know i use the throttle to adjust the position of the car (and the steering wheel :rasp:) just wondered how it would be like with more power

Any suspension upgrades in the pipeline for the 200, not that they need it?

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Yes as we all know the evo would need servicing every 6 months- 4.5k, and the parts are more expensive to replace. And not everyone wants/ likes Evos Subaru's etc.

But the car would hold a lot more value then a SC 200 and be a lot easier to sell on.

Now IIRC the 197-200 already returns crap MPG, (I'm guessing) supercharger will only make that figure drop, and make the car more expensive to run-maintain.

At the end of the day, I think supercharging a cheap 172 makes sense, not a expensive Clio 200.

Well it's either turbo, SC or NOS and I want more power through the whole rev range not just at 5k so supercharger is the only one that is realy going to make that happen

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Not sure if Id bother mate, not on a new car. would you not have just bought something faster to start with? Fair play to you for giving it a go though, dont think I'd have the cajones to go ripping into a brand new engine lol.

Nice to see you got the right colour though. any pics?

Yeh I cud of got something faster but they all handle badly an. I had to think of insurance etc, and I can't really think of any hot hatch that is faster than the 200 in the same price bracket

As i said dude, i would rather do it on a car out of warranty however im sure it would be sweet. As fletcher says they avg 23-25 mpg, i have heard that as a general rule sc put around and extra 30% strain on the engine which works out at
16.1-17.5 mpg.

To be honest with you, you dont seem to care what people are saying which is wicked cos it means that you will get completly what you want. Good luck to you son, im sure people will wanna have a little play at any meets :p

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Well it's either turbo, SC or NOS and I want more power through the whole rev range not just at 5k so supercharger is the only one that is realy going to make that happen

Yeah my turbo doesn't even wake up untill 5000rpm. LOL

I cant see a re map change a naturally aspirated engine by much due to how they work or am i wrong?

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
That's way the guys at k tech said, he said a remap in 6 weeks when it's out then SC when it's out

Well I'm very surprised if they did, as the turbo they provide is relatively small and therefore gives great low down boost and spool up.

I'll check my graphs tonight and tell you exactly when it starts boosting and when it hits full boost but it's certainly not 5K+

He reckons it will add about 8bhp and just alot better throttle response

Im not being arsey as i find it all interesting but a NA engine draws air into the fuel mix only on the downwards strokes yes? Thats the reason they rev so high to compensate, i dont know how you can get low down throttle without just making it rev higher.

Again im not being arsey but someone put me straight if im wrong.

M2 Competition
Having read your other thread, dont get a supercharger yet. Wait until you have a few more years driving experience, please!

Power is nothing without control, and with control you will be faster than any supercharged car...

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels

So at least double the amounts of services per year (if you barely drive an Evo), then parts cost more, the service itself costs more, insurance costs more, petrol consumption is far worse on cruise (let alone giving it some stick) and tyres need replacing twice as often. Those are just the obvious bits. Evo will cost more to buy as well unless it's second hand, making resale value a mute point... not that it's even a valid one anyway, as people that modify their cars dont actually care about resale and to people that dont modify cars it will never make sense to them regardless.

Petrol consumption is no worse unless your foot is flat to the floor everywhere, so running costs are completely unaffected... maintenance will be the same, as it's still a Clio lol

DB.

BMW 440i
If it were me id have bought a Megane 225 and tuned that tbh, but fair play to you if you go through with it!

Whats your job?

197 Sport
I may have missed previous threads etc but are you also upgrading stuff like brakes. No point in all this extra power on a car that handles well if you cant stop efficiently. Im no mechanic but I guess all this extra power will require lots of other stuff to be done to ensure you still maintain the handling abilities that this car already pocesses.
I would also advise you invest in the following http://www.laser-interceptoruk.com/

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
If it were me id have bought a Megane 225 and tuned that tbh, but fair play to you if you go through with it!

Whats your job?

My grand got a 225 so I cudny really get one, and I've got a few jobs tbh mate

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I may have missed previous threads etc but are you also upgrading stuff like brakes. No point in all this extra power on a car that handles well if you cant stop efficiently. Im no mechanic but I guess all this extra power will require lots of other stuff to be done to ensure you still maintain the handling abilities that this car already pocesses.
I would also advise you invest in the following http://www.laser-interceptoruk.com/
Can't afford brakes, got 9k a year insurance premium after the SC.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Can't afford brakes, got 9k a year insurance premium after the SC.

U need to read the thread, as I stated earlier my insurance is modified car insurance so I pay an extra 50 quid for every 25bhp I go over 210bhp so shouldn't be too bad

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Tbh £2100 or whatever is quite cheap for a 250bhp SC'd £16000 car in a sh*t postcode.

In fact that's what, actually some people pay nearly £3000 for £3000 worth of 1.2 PMSL.