ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2002 CLIO 172 Vs 1998 GOLF VR6

What do you's guys think would win here, as i've a college mate with a vr6 with cat back exhaust and ram air filter.
And i'm standard :dapprove: :dapprove: , he said "he'd eat me for breakfast" and i said he's probably right.

What do you's guys think ?

K20 EG Hatch
My mate has a very good example of one. It does feel very quick but in all honesty not my 182 pace....

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Yep,definately wouldn't muller you, remember its 8 yrs old now!

Give it a bash and play the 'oh wow,thats surprising' when its over and done.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
im in a 172 cup 03 and i can easily pull away from my sisters 97 vr6, mines stock hers has full zorst. and the cup just carries on pulling away with an indicated 140+mph b4 i back off and let her catch up

BMW E46 330i Touring
I was tempted by one of these before I got the 172, general consensus seemed to be that they're heavy cars and engines to get going, but once they're rolling then they're pretty rapid.

Ph1 V6
My mate has a '97 VR and mine pulls away from his. Its not far behind. I did hear that they tend to lose a fair bit of power once they get on to this kind of age. The VR has more torque but they are very heavy.

Turbos.
im in a 172 cup 03 and i can easily pull away from my sisters 97 vr6, mines stock hers has full zorst. and the cup just carries on pulling away with an indicated 140+mph b4 i back off and let her catch up

A Cup is a lot faster than a standard 172 though...probably a full couple of secs faster to 100mph.

I think the Golf is only Mini Cooper S fast.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
yeah ive had a go with a slighty modded VR6 Golf .... was good fun and pretty evens so i think a standard one would be just edged by the cup

Evo 8 Jap Crap
I have just come from a 1996 Golf VR6 to a clio 172.

The clio 172 will have the golf off the line easy.

However from a rolling start say 30mph and above the Golf will pull away easy, you just dont realise how torquey the VR6 lump is, it comes in very low in the rev range.

Mine was standard apart from a Cat back exhaust and panel filter and was 192bhp and 178lbs torque.

The VR6 will do 130 in 4th ;)

MINI JCW

However from a rolling start say 30mph and above the Golf will pull away easy, you just dont realise how torquey the VR6 lump is, it comes in very low in the rev range.

Mine was standard apart from a Cat back exhaust and panel filter and was 192bhp and 178lbs torque.

No way will a VR6 easily pull away from a 172 even when rolling, ive been behind impreza wrx, meg 225 in my 182 and they have more torque than the vr6 and they havent been able to pull away

Last edited:
  Turbos.
Take it with a pinch of salt but i've looked on letstorquebhp.com and taken some 0-100mph times.

Golf VR6 - 19.20
Clio 172 - 18.52
Clio 182 Cup - 16.54

A Cup is a lot faster than a standard 172 though...probably a full couple of secs faster to 100mph.

I think the Golf is only Mini Cooper S fast.

So what about the cooper s ?

Would i piss over one ?

And outta interest what others cars woul the 172 beat ?
:cool:

Leon Cupra R 225
You could beat a VR6 let him think he is going to have you for breakfast though... because he won't.

my old hybrid used to eat 172/182s for breakfast but i raced a VR6 up a hill, i had a car full and he was alone, i was away he was way way behind but by the top of the hill he was going past me.... my brakes were lots better though :) From a standing start clio all day, but on a long bit of road the golf will sail past most 172s

Evo 8 Jap Crap

No way will a VR6 easily pull away from a 172 even when rolling, ive been behind impreza wrx, meg 225 in my 182 and they have more torque than the vr6 and they havent been able to pull away

Impreza WRX has AWD losses :nono:

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
had a tango with one of these in my 172 ff

this was from a rolling start and i gained on him very easily and very quickly..

i had to back off pumpin the throttle or i was gona hit his rear...
crappy vr6s.. go home.

From a standing start 172 should win. The VR6 is a bit of a tank. Rolling may be more even; torquey, less peaky delivery would help the Golf I reckon

M

M7CUO_V6

My mate has an old j reg vr6, they are quick. Not much in it realy tho.

His is lowered 40mm and handles surprisingly well too! He just throws it into corners, boots it and it just pulls out the other side(so much grip).

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Eh?

Standard for standard a 172 will beat a VR6 no question. Similar power, but the Clio is much lighter. Simple laws of physics.

Similar power?
Does the clio have anywhere near 173lb of torque?

Last edited:

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Mate had a j reg pre cat model which was very nippy :)

We did some Gtech timed 0-60 runs in my mk1 172 and his vr6, the Clio should win to 60 (although being a mk2 you might not :p ) but the way the VR6 pulls top end omg, as soon as you get into license losing speeds the Golf pulled loads better.

What do you's guys think would win here, as i've a college mate with a vr6 with cat back exhaust and ram air filter.
And i'm standard :dapprove: :dapprove: , he said "he'd eat me for breakfast" and i said he's probably right.

What do you's guys think ?

Come on get a grip, You should know the answer to that..................A Clio172/182 cup beats most things on the road:rolleyes:

Iceberge cup,mito tb
had a blast against a 96 reg one, pulled away no probs at all and put a distance between us, only when above 120 did he start closing the gap a bit and thats was with a rolling start

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
once it gets going it ok after 80 its better after 100 its very very good...but by this time il be in the pub half way through my pint when he walks in.

Independent test figures show the following:

VR6
0 - 60 = 7.1 secs
0 - 100 = 18.7 secs
30 - 70 (through gears) = 6.4 secs
Max Speed = 147mph

Clio 172
0 - 60 = 7.1 secs
0 - 100 = 17.9
30 - 70 (through gears) = 7.0 secs
Max Speed = 137mph

It's no walkover whichever one you're driving.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I have a slightly fettled vr6 highline and also a standard highline.
The standard one is not quite as fast as my mates 05 182 but once doing 80+ on the motorway he cant pull away in any gear.
My modded one which has a proven 195bhp.I have a ram-air forced induction and a boxter full system on it.It pulls away after 50+ and just keeps pulling.It pulls a big gap by 120mph.
Never under estimate the power of the Vr6.
There quite lumpy engines to use but once moving and in the revs they will pull really well.
My mates 182 has 27k on the clock by the way.
A standard one will loose out round town and islands but once moving it wont be far away at all.

ian

Nissan 350Z
Eh?

Standard for standard a 172 will beat a VR6 no question. Similar power, but the Clio is much lighter. Simple laws of physics.

Similar power?
Does the clio have anywhere near 173lb of torque?

Not sure whether that comment was a genuine query or a sarcastic reply, but yes similar power... the 172 has 170 bhp and the VR6 174 bhp. The Golf weighs a lot more though. Therefore, clio is faster.

Clio doesnt have that much torque, but it doesnt need it, torque is not what defines overall straight line performance, power is. A VAG TDI 130 has twice the amount of torque of a standard clio 172 but is no faster.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Power and torque take over after a bit though
Try racing a mondeo ST220 on the motorway,they weigh about 1500kg,but i know which would win

ian

Nissan 350Z
Power and torque take over after a bit though
Try racing a mondeo ST220 on the motorway,they weigh about 1500kg,but i know which would win

ian

Obviosly though :D

They have 40 bhp more than a clio and superior aerodynamics, which matters more at high speeds.

But between 0-100 i'd fancy a something such as a ph1 172 / cup / 182 to beat an ST220 though.

Why do you need more than 100 mph anyway? Speaking personally i am potentially facing the prospect of being banned after inadvertently going past a speed camera and an unknown, but quite possibly substantially higher than the speed limit speed in my clio, so why i would need to go faster above a ton than i already do, i'll never know!