ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200t EDC Fastchip RSTuner Problems

Mk4 200t, A4tdi
So after months of deliberation I decided to go against all common sense and instead of making the 10 mile trip to RS tuning (I live on the outskirts of Leeds) I thought i'd save myself a bit of time and money and get an RSTuner by Fastchip.

I'd read good things about the RSTuner and Fastchip seem to have a good rep on most forums here and abroad. The ability to put the car back to standard was also a big plus for me.

Having double checked all connections I first went about saving the current calibration so I had a backup, this was then saved on my laptop and back up drive and also Google Drive. I'm quite thorough with things like this.

After a few days I had the stage 1 map sent to me by Henk. I then waited a few days before again setting aside a full evening so I wasn't rushing myself to uploading the new calibration file. Once again all connections were checked, battery charger attached, laptop plugged in and power settings disabled.

Now came the time which I'd been gearing upto for a while. I uploaded the .cal file (software version checked out ok) and the green status bar began uploading.

All was going well until the status bar reached the very end and all of a sudden a warning dialog popped up on the laptop screen announcing a write failure and all manner of alarms and warning messages on the dashboard came up. Cue sinking feeling in the pit of gut and sweaty palm time.

Panicking I thought i'd then upload the original calibration which seemed to write ok but all I get now is the warning messages about 'Engine Failure Hazard' and the car refusing to start. I'd basically turned my car into a 4 wheeled paper weight.

I daren't touch the thing now and am enlisting the help of a professional mechanic to hopefully solve the issues. Best case scenario is clearing all the fault codes and off we go again. Dread to think about what could be...

Fastchip are claiming that I didn't have my car in Full Ignition and it went into standby during the .cal write but having spent a lot of time reading and practising the method I'm more than sure it was done properly.

Just thought I'd share my experience so far as it could be food for thought to other would be home tuners. Yes I know i'm mental for not going to a professional in the first place and believe me I feel proper dumb. I just want my car back now, the words of another member on here have been ringing in my ears all week 'Just enjoy the car for what it is'.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
From what I've read, customer relations isn't henks strong point.

If henks doesn't resolve this, I'd get a map from Paul and get it and the oem map saved to the rstuner so you can switch between the two as you please.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea you wound't be the first person to get below-par customer service from Henk.

Chances are your ECU is locked now as well, thats a common trick of his.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
You need to get in touch with Paul at RSTuning. They use the RSTuner to map their cars with (no they don't use the maps henk provides, they just use the box). They are in the best position to try and fix whatever has gone on.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BG Clio 182
You already know this but you should've took it to RS Tuning. The guy has bloody bought one just for development!! Lol get it to Paul!!

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Take it to no other garage but RS tuning, don't think many other mechanics or garages will solve a locked ecu, your 10 miles away !

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
RS tuning used an RS tuner on my twingo but with their own map as it locks it to the ecu so no one can download it and steal it since they put so much work i to the custom twingo maps! Makes sence

Mk4 200t, A4tdi
did you have the key card in the slot and press and gold the start button till the ignition came on?
Yes mate, I did a couple of dry runs to make sure I was getting it right. The car has to be in gear (D) on the autobox to stop it going into standby.

Mk4 200t, A4tdi
Lesson learnt. I'll be getting in touch with Paul at RS Tuning. Cheers all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volvo S60 T5
I expect you will need a new ecu now, I wont touch an RS tuner on a 197/200 once they fail uploading map its game over. Not to say it cant be saved but the 197 I had was fucked doing this and I ended up buying a new ecu. Hopefully RS Tuning can sort.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I've only ever heard bad things about this henk chap...why does everyone keep giving him money??

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I had my issues with a 1.2 tce with henk, constant limp mode, he blamed my leads, plugs, fuel, etc etc I changed them all, no different, I bad mouthed him on here eventually which got me an abusive email and a revised map which worked fine!

Went to rs tuning with my next one, it wasn't without its issues but it was fast and didn't destroy my engine or clutch so all good!

Henks well developed 172 and 182 maps are brilliant but it seems the less common stuff isn't brilliant

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I remember when Paul first mapped kteks 197. That bricked too and it went to renault Leeds for a new ecu on warranty! They did question the ktek racing stickers all over the car, and the brand new ecu they found in the boot!

Mk4 200t, A4tdi
Quick update. I've been in touch with Paul at RS who couldn't have been more helpful. Sent me a new .cal file to try which works although I've not been on a run yet I'm just so pleased the cars starting up again. I could literally kiss him right now.
I'll see how she drives over next few days and be in touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I'm happy for you mate. You should crucify this other guy with a review or something. That's ridiculous service

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Henk used to be really good, back in the day. Wether he just got sick of the same questions or people lending files to each other I don't know.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It's something he does in his spare time tbh. Can't blame him for not providing the kind of service you'd expect from a full time supplier. Not to mention the fact that henk did nothing wrong so it really isn't his problem.

Top marks for Paul though. He's a proper helpful guy

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
It's something he does in his spare time tbh. Can't blame him for not providing the kind of service you'd expect from a full time supplier. Not to mention the fact that henk did nothing wrong so it really isn't his problem.

Top marks for Paul though. He's a proper helpful guy
What a ridiculous reply

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
So you think it's totally acceptable for this guy to sell maps with instructions. Then potentially the ecu is just a brick and he does nothing to even try and help? This ain't no hobby for the guy. He sells s**t loads of them. It's a part time job at best.

It is his problem. He's made a map up that's screwing folks cars up. There should be a fail safe so these sort of things don't happen. I'm sorry but your argument is totally flawed. It is his problem 100%. It's his product. He is providing a flash map which should come with full proof instructions attached. This shouldn't happen

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Henk's RSTuner map is perfect for an off the shelf solution for a stock or slightly modded F4R. (i.e. stock with an exhaust, airfilter, and that's about it)

When you ask him to custom map something from scratch, or map something else, therein lies your problem.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So you think it's totally acceptable for this guy to sell maps with instructions. Then potentially the ecu is just a brick and he does nothing to even try and help? This ain't no hobby for the guy. He sells s**t loads of them. It's a part time job at best.

It is his problem. He's made a map up that's screwing folks cars up. There should be a fail safe so these sort of things don't happen. I'm sorry but your argument is totally flawed. It is his problem 100%. It's his product. He is providing a flash map which should come with full proof instructions attached. This shouldn't happen
What's wrong with the map? Did the OP try loading the henk map again after the first time or just try loading the original cal which it's possible he incorrectly saved?

To me it sounds completely like user error if even the original cal wouldn't work.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
So why didn't this henk chap help out with that? I for one am not a professional mapper and wouldn't have a clue about any of these things. As would most others on here

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So why didn't this henk chap help out with that? I for one am not a professional mapper and wouldn't have a clue about any of these things. As would most others on here
Because his service is s**t. But that's what you have to expect from someone who does this as a hobby (which it is whether you think it is or not) and hasn't done anything wrong himself as far as I can see. I'm not defending him, I'm more saying that if you don't want to risk bricking your car then take it to a professional.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not, I'm just speaking logic. If you own a brand new car you shouldn't be pissing about with the ECU for the sake of a couple of £££. Take it to a professional and not only have it done safely but get a better map out of it.