ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2011 Clio WONT CRANK

Car has sat outside since April 2023, we are now in June 2024 and i want it running again.

(Excuse my ignorance in this post, i am utterly useless with electrics!)

I have replaced the battery and the starter as it wouldnt start, doesnt even attempt to crank. Theres a click from what i assume is the fusebox under the steering wheel and thats all i hear.

The battery is good at 12.5v.
The starter gets around 14v - 15v when ignition is on, which i believe should be enough to start it?

Fuses all look good, no corrosion anywhere and theres no corrosion on any connections that i can see.

Is it worth changing the alternator at this point?

The ABS module isnt happy either after the last battery draining and dying, it throws a code saying theres low voltage to the module - code: DTC50CC72 (photo attached too) - when i turn the ignition on, the car beeps at me twice, the ABS light is on, service light is on, stop lights is and orange EML is on, but would this lock out my starter circuit?

Please help, i feel like im gonna have to look deeper at the electrics now and i dont have the foggiest about it like i said 😅

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_56dda9f5-eeb3-40c8-9f7a-14c74527316f.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_56dda9f5-eeb3-40c8-9f7a-14c74527316f.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 10

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
I would make sure all the ground points are clean and making contact. Also check the fuses on the battery positive terminal.

I would make sure all the ground points are clean and making contact. Also check the fuses on the battery positive terminal.
I assume theres 1 on the gearbox and 1 on the engine?
And wheres the fuse for the terminal? If its in the fusebox in the engine bay, ive already checked them all and theyre all good, no corrosion, charring or breaks.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Put a jump lead on the battery negative to somewhere on the engine block will tell you if it’s an earth fault.

Immobiliser light flashing at all?

Never mind, the terminal fuse is goosed

1000009649.jpg

Put a jump lead on the battery negative to somewhere on the engine block will tell you if it’s an earth fault.

Immobiliser light flashing at all?

Ive just found a knackered main fuse... which i didnt even know was a fuse! I live and learn...
Immobiliser was flashing, goes off as normal though.

Im gonna get another fuse and HOPEFULLY i have a working car after that!

Cheers for the pointer RSRowe 🤘

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
No problem. Just double check you haven’t got any cables which have rubbed.

I’ve seen it twice now where they’ve rubbed through and arc out on the block.