ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3 Guys 1 Cup

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
So me and two friends for a while ran a 206gti180 as a track and hillclimb car - after an unfortunate incident with a tyre barrier at Croft, we decided to move on from the 206. Broke the 70s barrier at Harewood which for a completely standard 206 i'm pretty pleased with, I previously had a quite modified 306 which never did that.

1629154207115.png
1629154292732.png

Having owned a few clios before, the natural choice was a Clio of some description, initially favoured a 197, but eventually went for a 172 Cup which arrived today. It's an interesting example and has a forum sticker - any previous owners on here? Only 86k miles but had a fair amount of time off-road over the last few years which may not have been kind to perishable bits - has a No-advisory MOT which is alarm bell inducing for an 18 year old car. Has the rear stripped out and Audi S3 front seats which aren't wired in, so are at a fixed small-town gangster lean angle. For our class (1B at Harewood) we'll need some rear interior and for comfort/control of the car we'll go for a race seat in the front, Audi seats to hit ebay shortly..

1629154604148.png
1629154630700.png

Winter plans are to sort a cage, find some lightweight wheels and have a good look over everything, rust management/prevention, bushes etc. This week's plans are to sort the drivers seat, interior and necessary safety bits for it's first event on August 29th at Harewood.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Sounds a good laugh this 👌🏻 Couple of mine mates are doing similar with a saxo.

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
Harewood was this past weekend, trying to see how close we could get to @Tonyclio with a standard car. No surprises that the answer wasn't very near. Both drivers broke PBs though, so a pleasing day - the 206 hauled round to 69.90 and I found a 68.64 on the 4th and final run, the other driver found 4 tenths on his PB and improving all the time. Unfortunately it kept jumping out of gear, so I set my fastest time one-handed whilst holding it in 2nd at key points - hopefully it'll turn out to be drivetrain mount related and not box internals.

IMG_7260.jpg

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Good luck with this. I should imagine the Clio will be quite a bit lighter than the Pug.
Unfortunately the jumping out of gear is almost certainly box related rather than mount.
If you have the budget look to getting a diff fitted during the rebuild. That will be money we’ll spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Good outing on Sunday Alex and we both managed to stay mainly on the tarmac and managed not to damage anything!

I have a few ideas for a few mods over winter to ensure the difference is maintained:)

Attachments

• 119948271_3500028853380445_4587334464997579899_n.jpg
    119948271_3500028853380445_4587334464997579899_n.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 69

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
Good luck with this. I should imagine the Clio will be quite a bit lighter than the Pug.
Unfortunately the jumping out of gear is almost certainly box related rather than mount.
If you have the budget look to getting a diff fitted during the rebuild. That will be money we’ll spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I think it's likely that it is box related too, but the mounts need sorting anyway so will do that and see if it helps.

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
So it's 18 months later and no update, but there's a bit of ground to cover!

I did another round in the Clio but couldn't match the previous PB with the box getting worse and worse - still having to hold it in gear. Went into the winter and I bought a house which suddenly swallowed every penny as houses do, and 3 guys 1 cup become 2 guys 1 cup and the other two owners bought me out.
They sent the box off over winter for internal inspection and found 2nd and 3rd synchros worn, worn 1st/2nd hub and somehting to do with a fork. The box was refreshed and a few other bits tweaked and they competed in the 2022 season with it, PBs tumbled and I gave the odd word of encouragement from the startline, opting to have a season of marshalling.

1682275463302.jpeg

The 2022 season finished and the lads did a bit of tinkering, finding some (legal) weight saving and giving it a service before Steve (known as Incompetent Steve before this ownership) was set to use the Cup for some commuting over winter to save mileage excess on his lease car. What followed in early January was a phone call and a photo..

1682275988906.png

Cup killing season had bitten - Incompetent Steve had chosen a Mini Countryman to help him stop. Some umm'ing and ahh'ing happened over the next few weeks, but eventually the insurance company took the Clio away and paid out a pretty decent sum. Having seen the car before they took it away I was quietly confident it was repairable and kept an eye on the auctions in case it went for a tempting amount. It did go for a tempting amount, but unfortunately someone beat me to it.

A few weeks passed and I had started to do the usual early Spring Facebook marketplace/eBay, nearest first, cheap searches and what came up? The Cup! In as-auctioned condition with a flippers profit margin added. Fourty-five minutes of intense negotations followed and after a phone call to Petrol & Retro (West Yorkshire) to arrange collection I'd agreed to finally buy back the Cup.

Ryan collected and delivered it whilst I was away this weekend and I've managed half an hour on it assessing the "Cat S" damage. Big hammer, touch of welding and a few new bits of plastic needed (and a radiator) and should be good to go. I'm going to put myself under a little bit of time pressure and enter the Harewood rounds on the weekend of 3/4 June.

1682276641337.jpeg