ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3 WEEKS OF OWNERSHIP.... 182

Right so its just over 3 weeks now of owning the car, I have to say ive loved it, the cars movement and looks are just brilliant. I suddenly find myself cleaning the car twice a week too, I really have re discovered my passion for motoring with this car and no doubt this will continue and grow during ownership.

I have to say my most memorable moment (and also very trivial) was on day one of ownership, the road i was on turned into a dual carriage way and i was doing 50mph... in 3rd. I booted it past the other cars and thought "arrrr thats a satisfying way to get to 70" I looked down and was doing 90 LOL!

However it hasnt been faultless, a week ago the exhaust snapped ( a common fault area of the oem exhaust). It was made worse by being away at familys in kent, I knew of a garage there and the next morn got up early and took the car to them, they were really helpful straight away had my clio up and made a temporary weld so i could drive the car back to london. When i bought the car I noticed the standard item and knew they didnt last long and would prob need replacing but i was thinking 6 months maybe, not 3 weeks!...... I thought it would be ok though as i bought the car from the dealer and it came with 3 months warranty...

The dealer said they will have to see the exhaust before any work is to be done and also the work will be done by them, 60 miles away and they do not do a collection service. Fine ok I can understand that they dont no if im lying or something so they can see for themselves.... So I go to leave to drive the car to them, barely get out of my drive the the weld goes and the exhaust comes apart again!! I call the dealers to say what has happened and they bascily tell me you need to get the car to us so we can see the exhaust, i explain i dont wat to drive the car with the exhaust snapped and they basicly tell me that thy will do the wrk but its my problem getting the car to them.!!!!

I get another temporary fix for the exhaust this time from rac (so its not so noisy.... and safer) and take the car to their garage in berkshire. And then make my way back on a 2 hr train journey.

The next day they call to say it is all done. i make the same journey by train back to them and get there about 30 mins b4 they close, they are very friendly to me ( thy were quite rude and blunt on the phone) i thank them for getting the car done so quickly and they tell me, "the garage has loads of systems in stock, if you cant find the one u want there.....etc." I think wow that must be some garage while not entirely buying the statement. the guy tells me it was a quick job and they replaced the broken middle box, i have a quik glance under the car and see a slightly dirty middle box, but i see some new clamps and assume that all is well. YAY!

unfortunately they weren't very honest. The next day i took the car to have its wheels aligned at quik fit, they put the car up and straight away comment on the exhaust, it hasnt been replaced, its been bodged. An exhaust that has rusted and snapped in half has been welded and bolted back together. I cannot believe this s**t
I didnt drive the car 120 miles to get a bodge done as a sollution, this is the third f*****g bodge job done except the difference is this one is "supposed" to be a permanent sollution. the mechanic then put his hands over the twin exhausts and it is blowing so much and from several places!

As you can imagine im vexxed and ring the garage up and tell them what i have found, they casually tell me that the warrenty does not cover the exhaust and that i was lucky they fixxed it (if you can call it that) at all. So i said" its ok for you to lie an tell me you would be replacing it?" the guy says he didnt say they would replace it..... i said the warrnty says nothing bout any exclusions so thats not true, I told them i was aware the exhaust wouldnt last forever but after 3 weeks come on!
So after arguing the dealer tells me they will put 50% towards a new exhaust system, even an aftermarket one.... Theres only one catch.... I HAVE TO TAKE THE CAR BACK TO THEM!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

(rant/ essay over)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Most dealers lie - nowhere I know holds a 182 exhaust spare, & as i think i pointed out a in a thread - original centre sections are Pisch- you cant clamp rust -
I try & hold & 182 exhaust in my garage & a 182 steering wheel as back up...

He should really honour the whole repair- Max it will be is around £220 with a used 182 exhaust-
You will need a full system in good nick ideally- hard to find - ~£100
new gasket set from the stealers IIRC ~ £40
+ fitting-

or of course bite the bullet & fit an aftermarket one- theres always ones going in the classifieds....

S

Why would it need new head gasket?
im getting a second opinion 2moz before i contact the dealer tomorrow, more than anything its all just so inconveniant
its such a wasted of time and money taking back to them when they should have done it propery in the first place.

I will be aiming for an aftermarket one as the oem just doesnt last, as my receipt for the car states a 3 months warranty do i have any
legal rights to them carry out this work, I mean what is the point of the warranty if it can be ignored to suit their needs.?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
exhaust gasket set...

Warranty- Exhaust may come into wear & tear items-

S

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
tbh mate ur at much risk buying from a dealer as much as you are a private sale, only difference being its easier to contact a dealer as they have to answer and you feel you have a better chance of complaint as its a company and not a person
the only way ur going to be gauranteed everything is spot on is basically by finding a seller who is spot on and who wants to sell you a genuine car and not just make money
unless you are knowlegable with cars and know exactly everything to look for, your never going to be sure what ur buying is decent

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I bought my 182 from a main dealer and they had to replace the whole exhaust from the standard item, 2 months later the baffle failed in the baffle box.

After many an argument i got them to sort it under "warranty" i will never again in my life buy another car from a dealer, they can sucketh my hairless nuts

Silver 182
I doubt you can get anything back from the dealer.. although steve as an advisor your best bet to get something out of them ;)

Mine snapped too very quickly, i knew it would as i had rac report on it.. didnt expect it to happen in 2 weeks either) Dont bother buying new system.. it will blow again. Personal experience. Wasted 300 quid though stock system is any good. Useless. Now just driving carefully, going back to uni next week and will do some major changes to the car next summer when i am back. Guess my baby will have to wait under the cover :(

Well like i said if i can get a second opinion on the exhaust and as i know the mechanic and get him to speak to the dealer himself

Just not exactly keen on shelling money out after buying the car and insurance as nobody would be..

Silver 182
Its perfectly understandable! Its not your usual 1.2 shite but its still french. :)

But if you keep it tidy than exhaust problems should be the worst and the last.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I had an exhaust snap on a customer on a 182 on the say they bought it-

I had it replaced the next day & put them both up in a hotel at my expense-
S

Clio Sport 182
Most warranties aren't worth the paper their written on. The warranty company who underwirtes it doesn't want to pay out if they can help it. I'd be surprised if you get any satisfaction from the garage. Its only honest dealers who will see you right. Not many of those about these days unfortuntely. A happy customer is a returning customer! Doesn't seem to matter in this day and age though. Customer service? yeh right.

Stick an aftermarket decent system on it and tell the garage to pay half. that would be a good result I reckon.

Most warranties aren't worth the paper their written on. The warranty company who underwirtes it doesn't want to pay out if they can help it. I'd be surprised if you get any satisfaction from the garage. Its only honest dealers who will see you right. Not many of those about these days unfortuntely. A happy customer is a returning customer! Doesn't seem to matter in this day and age though. Customer service? yeh right.

Stick an aftermarket decent system on it and tell the garage to pay half. that would be a good result I reckon.

Yer i think thats what im gonna settle for 50% makes it fairly reasonable i guess, and a bonus is we dont have to take the car back to them!