ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

300bhp 172 with nos ?

A sexy one
just bought a wizards of nos kit, im planning on running 50bhp to begin of with and then get a progressive controller and go upto 75bhp and 100bhp,
i dont want to spend thousands on the engine and with nos at least when its not on the engine isnt under stress

i no a few people on her are running nos but i carnt find anyone thats tried 100bhp on a standard engine???
im guessing 50/75 will be alright as thatl be like havin a low compression turbo fitted, right?

535d / t5 caravelle
i had 50bhp jets (won kit) on my mk1 clio 16v, made a huge difference in performance, had it fitted for a good year or so, was a bit tempermental, due to a mate fitting it, but when it worked it flew! 50 is enough to start with, i started with 25 and felt nothing tbh, 50 transformed my car.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Long time no see Bill. Hope things are well.

Personally I'd speak with Vicky and Ben_R1. To my knowledge Vicky is running a fairly large progressive shot on her F4R and similarly Ben has on his 197.

172 cup, Impreza P1
I would imagine anything over 50 shot you need a good paddle clutch or major slippage will happen.

SG9 Forester STi
Firstly, a 100bhp shot of nitrous is far too ambitious for an F4R unless you go hardcore on it and go down the forged internals route.

I've seen Ben_r1's 197 expel it's airbox after a nitrous burp when using just a 50bhp shot.

Best advice I can give is:

- Make sure you get it setup by a professional experienced company (WON have a list of recommended garages for each area). Otherwise you'll come unstuck when your engine goes bang.

- Don't get it setup before getting the progressive controller. It'll save you the money of having to get the car worked on twice and it's a necessary addition to any setup (IMO). I use a Minimax controller with a 50bhp shot and after 3 seconds when it's getting the full benefit of the 50 shot you really feel it pull so I would strongly advise against putting a straight shot into it unless you want to break it.

- ARP con rod bolts are a good idea and both me and Ben_r1 have them fitted. I think it comes to around £300 with parts and labour and should you want to go up to a 75bhp shot then you've got the added strength to support it.

- Don't prioritise BHP over the car, if you ask any professional they will tell you that the horror stories behind NOS are mainly caused by people trying to squeeze more power out of the bottle and into the car and you'll get over excited and keep upping the injectors until it gives up.

People spend ££££'s getting clios up and above 200bhp and if it was as easy as strapping a bottle to the car and getting a 300bhp animal then everyone would be doing it. After a few drag days with nitrous it's tough to get grip and I know that if I'm serious about getting the best out of the car then I need to get a LSD. This was when the engine was standard and it was a struggle even with the controller. I am yet to give the NOS a go with the ITB's and cams but I know that soon I'll have to make a few more upgrades before I can get the best out of the car.

If you are deadly serious about running a 100bhp shot then ideally you would need to look at forged internals so as not to blow it up, ARP uprated conrod bolts, uprating the clutch and differential and I would go for the more expensive Max Extreme controller too. It's risky business if you don't know what you're doing so I would definitely give WON a call and discuss what your plans are - I'm sure Trevor at WON would be more than happy to give you his advice.

This is just what I would do if I was to consider upping the jets, although in my honest opinion 50bhp is more than capable of putting a grin on your face whilst keeping your car in one piece.

Enjoy.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
NOS always makes me think of F and F.

I wouldn't risk a 100bhp shot no way. Nor a 75bhp,

I think 50bhp is reasonable, sounds it anyway.
I've not got a clue on this stuff but it just sounds like trouble doing a 100bhp shot????

A sexy one
my mates a nos installer so hel be setting it up for me, i was in 2 minds to get a controller for the 50 shot but il deffo get one before i fit the nos then!!
iv been looking at forged rods and pistons, il have them one day its just a matter of finding the money, As for working in a garage and my mate owning a LPG conversion garage its pretty easy for us as the only cost is the parts and our own time, weve just put a LSD in a 2.0Corsa B im gonna see how well that works in that as there half the price of a clio one and just have fun with a 50 shot on the controller till temptation makes me go higher. The lad i got the kit from was running 200hp of nos on a 2.0 nova with no problems then trevor set it as he said it was running to rich or lean, got half way down the strip and his engine went haha, you hear so many stories that you just dont no what to think, which is why i wanted to no if anyone has used 100hp on a F4R :)