ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

36k service feedback, advise please!

tiTTy & SV650
36k mile feedback:

Front and Rear Wiper blades req'd (quoted @ £34.50)
N/S Driveshaft (@ £261)
Trackrod ends (@ £246)
Rear Axle Bushes (@ £262)
Power Steering Switch (@ £94)

Yer arse!

Wiper blades forget about it, Eurocarparts ever time.
Driveshaft - possibly but I'm sceptical as the gator was OK recently.
Trackrod ends - something does feel a little slack up there so maybe so. Common?
Rear axle bushes - common failure? I've not noticed any difference in handling. Happened to anyone elses?
Power Steering Switch - apparently mines leaking.

So what you reckon, Arnold Clark at it?

Booked in to a local garage for Friday for a 2nd opinion at a third of the labour cost.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
i would not get any work done at a reno unless it was warranty stuff.

there are many good indis on here all over the place that come highly recomended and at half the cost. use one of them

i aways get mine done by the local indi i have been going to for 8 years.

all over 50 years old. dont mind you standing next to them under the car if you like etc.

dont get it done at reno tho

tiTTy & SV650
I know that, it only went into Renault cause it was a free service as part of my service plan...

I wouldn't dream of paying them £50+ an hour labour, just on here looking for advice on the supposed faults.

Some of these things I don't recall ever reading about people having problems with before e.g. the rear axle bushes.

Vauxhall corsa x2
power steering switch is a common one. if you have a big spanner set (crow feet are ideal) then its a two minute job. just unscrew the old one the slap in the new one.

as far as rear axle bushes, thats extremely rare at that mileage. does the rear end 'Knock' at all over bumps?

tiTTy & SV650
the rear end has a bump more than a knock, I think its the blueflame hitting the rear axle though!

tiTTy & SV650
yeah, not paying £94 for a switch though, especially if it's as easy to change as mentioned above.

Track ends, will get my local garage to check em out see what he reckons.

I was told my rear axle bushes were perishing 2000 miles ago, the car still feels the same as it did at 36k and it's now at 56k, sounds like it could be one of the Dealer cons!

tiTTy & SV650
lol an Arnold Clark in Dundee is it?

My local mechanic said that he'd had 3 customers this week who'd been told by Arnold Clark that their driveshafts needed replaced due to split boots, not one did.

BMW 330d :)
where do i start??

Arnold clark in bearsden is the worst dealer i have ever had the misfortune of using and judging by the number of angry customers in at the same time im not the only one!!

Cup'd Monaco 172
Track rods end seem expensive!!

I have play in my rack, but its the rack end of the track rods. There is a joint just under the gator which has play in it. Looking around the forum other have had this, so check its not that instead of the track rods ends.
My Renault dealing said the play was in the wheel bearings. :mad: Muppets.
I still need to get it done, but due for a big service soon.

tiTTy & SV650
they also told me my rear discs were 60% worn, I put new renault discs and bearings on about 1000miles ago and the previous original ones had lasted 33k no problems! lol

So far it looks like I'll be getting a new driveshaft boot at an independent garage on Friday and will get him to look for the power steering fluid leak too.

Fingers crossed I get the car back ok today...

Meg on pistonheads £6995
Rip-off? never, just check out how close they got this time we had our cars serviced!

54K: Reno Main Dealer £260, local garage £70

37.5K: Citroen Main Dealer £360, local garage £85

Lionel Richie
i've got a PAS switch somewhere i think, you can have it if you need it

whats up with the DS??? seems excessive you have all those damaged parts, i've never seen one that bad ever!

1.6 16v
i need a service done as its long over due! u think renault is a bad idea? anyone know any costs of a service?

tiTTy & SV650
i've got a PAS switch somewhere i think, you can have it if you need it

whats up with the DS??? seems excessive you have all those damaged parts, i've never seen one that bad ever!

Thanks re. the switch, maybe get it from you at FCS?

DS gaitor split, they reckon the 'bearings have play in them' does the shaft have its own bearings? Or is it a bush between the knuckles? I presume where they mount there is a bearing but what does the gaitor actually protect?

It's all made up bullshit I tell thee! My cars not neglected, I'm an engineer ffs. lol

tiTTy & SV650
Nearside, is the inner driveshaft gaitor what most refer to as the driveshaft gaitor and the outer referred to as CV gaitor?

Lionel Richie
there is some play in the bearings/driveshaft anyway (about 1mm left to right if you push/pull the driveshaft)

i smell bullshit

why not just replace the gaitor? i'd love to know how that one gets damaged, i've never seen it!!

tiTTy & SV650
i dont think its damaged, it passed its mot last week elsewhere.

If its damaged now its cause they've taken a screwdriver to it...

New boot going on Friday (if required!)

Cheers

tiTTy & SV650
Lol confidence inspiring!

Well Arnold Shark called me last night "Mr Ingram, your car won't be ready till tomorrow, the alternator belt takes longer than we realise. We've never done one before..."

So they've had my car for 3 days, caused me to be late for one business meeting due to public transport and am now missing an industrial visit.

Chumps! And I bet they've damaged my bumper or done something wrong...

tiTTy & SV650
Once again the mofo's won't even come to the phone... dolly bird at reception (who'd get it...) can I take a number and get someone to call you back?!

arghhh

why did I bother

tiTTy & SV650
car back, no charge

not great service but thats the service plan over and I've saved £540 in service costs altogether (@ renault prices) by getting my 12k, 24k and 36k for £210 when I paid for the car 3 years ago.

7 cars in their workshop for engines inc Fraser's Cup - DOH

Vauxhall corsa x2
aux belts kits on 182s are a pig to do if uve never done one before. You have to work through small casting holes some of the time, which require double wristed arms. the first one i did one, i snapped the new tensioner trying to get it on.

tiTTy & SV650
well i'm fairly happy with the job so far, getting the 'advisorys' checked else where, fairly confident they'll be non issues!