ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4k rattle - not the usual thread.

I'm getting a very loud rattle around 4k revs, doesn't matter if I'm on/off throttle or in gear.
The noise is clearly coming from the timing / aux belt area and not from under the car (so I rule out the mid section). It's been the same for the last 6 months.
It's not the heatshields, cat to manifold springs, loose alternator bar / injectors cover. Maybe some tool or bolt got stuck in that area while working on the car.
Can you suggest what should I check, where could something get stuck?

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
It could be the aux belt tensioner. They are only really designed to last as long as the belt, so if not replaced at the same time, they can go, causing a rattle.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Ideally, you want to check any pulleys the belt goes over for any wobbling while the engine is running, but rattles like this can be a b**ch to trace, as you can't always see the problem, and the pulleys themselves are hard to get a good look at.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Well the other option is to have as much of it apart as possible and feel for play in the bearings, same procedure as feeling for play in wheel bearings. I think the tensioner is the most likely culprit, so I'd start with that. If it's rattling loud enough to be heard over the engine, there should be considerable play. Obviously this assumes it is nothing to do with a heat shield/cable/anything else rattling. If it's a loose bolt or tool dropped when working on the car, no one on here will know where it is.