ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4wd Cars Eat Tyres More or Less than 2wd

Breaking A 172 Replica
Two vehicles:

A 2wd 200 bhp car

A 4wd 200 bhp car

The exact same car and those outputs are at the wheels.

Which car would get through tyres quickest? (as in sets per 100000 miles say)

Discussing it with a friend and can't decide whether it would be 2 wd as the wheels would spin much more or whether it would be 4wd as of course when the wheels do spin it iwll be all 4 and not just 2.

Sam

depends how its driven.

I can get through a set of rears in an evening if i'm feeling frisky.

TeZ

Non RS : (
hey sam soz for stealing thread check PM's? and about that vid send to me email Ta fella :)

and my mate at work has a Scooby and my boss has a tuned 182 about 200BHP and his scooby nails tyres where as the 182 dosnt seem 2

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
Surely it depends on how the car is driven. My thoughts would be that the 4wd car would have to have all 4 tires replaced at the same time where as the 2wd and I am guessing its a FWD, would only need the fronts replacing.

My 182 is on 21k and I still have around 2k left on the front tires and a little more on the rears which got swapped around after 13k.

If its RWD your talking about then i would say that the 4wd would still get through 4 tires quicker than the rwd would.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Agreed, but with only 200 bhp, surely it would just grip and not so much spin thus eating tyres less?

Tys.

TeZ

Non RS : (
yea but the more grip the more Friciton on the tyres i would think also heat up alot quicker and more stress on sidewalls on corners as all four corners car

Valver
On my clio the rears outlast the fronts maybe 2/3 : 1, and don't spin them that much really... so I would have thought the RWD would go through tyres much quicker

Black Gold with cup packs
I used to work in a tyre workshop generally 4WD cars go through tyres faster, as do rear wheel drive cars.

Depends on the drivers as well as suspension etc my parents have a car with twice the Hp of mine and there tyres last about 4 times longer than my fronts do.

D

dick

ive got thru a set of toyos in 12 months on my 1.2 haha. i wish i didnt love cornering so fast!

D

dick

ye 6k same, but the n/s front is sooooo bald its ridiculous. was running on illegal 4 ages.

might even get a photo 2moro as ive gotta tidy out the shed.

ye 6k same, but the n/s front is sooooo bald its ridiculous. was running on illegal 4 ages.

might even get a photo 2moro as ive gotta tidy out the shed.

I never let them go that low always above the minimum after all its 3 points per tyre so could loose the licnce if caught with 4 illegals.

D

dick

one of mine is literally flat, like a slick.

didnt realise, dont have time 4 weekly checks at uni n stuff.

Breaking A 172 Replica
I was caught with flat (as in no tread at all) on the back two. Luckily I talked them into letting me off. Would have been waving goodbye to my liscence otherwise me thinks!