ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

51mph in a 30mph Scotland

Mark 1 Clio V6

Sorry to clog up the Clio website (now that I am a Meg owner), but I find this site helpful for advice and peoples opinions.

Got hit by the portable video camera doing 51mph in a 30mph zone.

It was a dual carriage way (not built up area) which I always assumed was a 40mph (I know no excuse I was going 51, but if I had known it was a 30 Id have been knowhere near that speed - I generally stick to a 30mph limit) in Aberdeen at about 5pm.

There are no signs at all to state it is a 30, so I have always assumed (stupidly) that it was a 40.

It has been referred to the Procurator Fiscal.

Any idea what I can expect? Clean licence for 10 years.

Im thinking best case scenario 3 points, worst case 6.

[Edited by CraigV6 on 29 April 2005 at 2:08pm]

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

It will be 3 points and probably a slightly higher than the usual £60 fine (court costs n all that) Dont let it bother you too much, the court, judge and legal people seem intimidating but they are all a bunch of wussy fagots in real life.

Its unlucky though, I got caught doing 80mph over the forth road bridge and just got a producer cause the coppa put it down as 64mph. It was 1.30am in the morning.. what can I say.. ?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

Quote: Originally posted by KDF on 29 April 2005

It will be 3 points and probably a slightly higher than the usual £60 fine (court costs n all that) Dont let it bother you too much, the court, judge and legal people seem intimidating but they are all a bunch of wussy fagots in real life.
yeah, imagine them naked. :confused:

Craig if its a dual carriage and theyre arent any signs Id say thats grounds for a challenge................I know for a fact that if signs are there but obscured by branches or whatever...............when challenged they are very often thrown out..............Id have a blether with the police and the roads department or even a quick visit to a solicitor (the first visit is usually free) :)

Cya Stu

Caddy Maxi

my two friends got caught doing 60 in a 30 last night and both just got the standard 3 points and £60 fine so you should be fine so long as you are apologetic about it ;)

Just to let you know that usually in a 30 they dont often bother putting up the smaller reapeater signs. It is symbolised by the street lights being 180m apart or whatever it is.

Because you were 21mph over the limit, I would expect you to get a FPN of 3 points and £60. Had you been 25mph over that it would have spelled trouble for you.

Good luck

Adam

Adam................180mts..................gee thats a long way I would have expected them to be closer than that in a 30 limit...............I still think theres good cause for a challenge.

Cya Stu

Quote: Originally posted by CraigV6 on 29 April 2005

Sorry to clog up the Clio website (now that I am a Meg owner), but I find this site helpful for advice and peoples opinions.

Got hit by the portable video camera doing 51mph in a 30mph zone.

It was a dual carriage way (not built up area) which I always assumed was a 40mph (I know no excuse I was going 51, but if I had known it was a 30 Id have been knowhere near that speed - I generally stick to a 30mph limit) in Aberdeen at about 5pm.

There are no signs at all to state it is a 30, so I have always assumed (stupidly) that it was a 40.

It has been referred to the Procurator Fiscal.

Any idea what I can expect? Clean licence for 10 years.

Im thinking best case scenario 3 points, worst case 6.

[Edited by CraigV6 on 29 April 2005 at 2:08pm]
wherabouts in aberdeen - its not that bit that runs up from the duthie park is it??

Mark 1 Clio V6

Yeah I was going down from Holburn St (at the Holburn Bar) towards Duthie park.

They were sitting at the bottom of the bit before the turn-off towards Ferryhill. Must of caught a few of us as I was actually one of the slower ones.

Cheers for the opinions guys.

Word of warning; the 225 Megane is dangerously quiet. In the V at least it sounded like you are going fast!!!!!

They were sitting at the bottom of the bit before the turn-off towards Ferryhill. Must of caught a few of us as I was actually one of the slower ones.

Word of warning; the 225 Megane is dangerously quiet. In the V at least it sounded like you are going fast!!!!!
Aye right enough, there no signs up or anything saying its a 30...cant see why it should be either TBH as its not built up. Few bits like that elsewhere in Aberdeen...bit that goes up to altens where ive been caught twice springs to mind!

You may be lucky enough to get off with it tho - i did 40 past some coppers at the same part back in december and have heard nothing about it...thats getting it down to 40 too...

The general rule is if there are no signs the limit is 30….. are there street lights down this dual carriageway? Street lights + no signs = 30mph limit

there is street lights yes but like we said its not built up and its one of those roads where EVERYONE does 40/50...

Mark 1 Clio V6

Being totally honest to say I was shocked when I got the notice through and it said it was a 30mph zone.

Assumption is the mother of all feck ups though!

I dont know enough of the highway code to know that if it is a dual carriage way that is not built up and not signed that lights siginfy its a 30mph zone!!!! How many of us do though????? Easiest thing to stop any misconception/confusion - put up speed limit signs.

I don’t agree with it either because some drivers have never looked at the highway code because theory tests and the like weren’t around when they passed, just another way to make money!!! Wouldn’t be so bad if it was invested back into the road!!

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 29 April 2005

Aye right enough, there no signs up or anything saying its a 30...cant see why it should be either TBH as its not built up. Few bits like that elsewhere in Aberdeen...bit that goes up to altens where ive been caught twice springs to mind!

You may be lucky enough to get off with it tho - i did 40 past some coppers at the same part back in december and have heard nothing about it...thats getting it down to 40 too...
altens is a c**t of an area, aberden has a few of these areas without signs,

but the highway code states that if there are no signs and there are street lights the drivers must assume 30mph.

3 points only i got hit doing 98 in a 60 only got 3 points think i was very lucky and now i stick to our roads speed limits

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

I was in the same situation last year. A long straight road, uphill then downhill, not built up. I was doing 60 on the downhill and get stopped by a bike cop hiding behind a hedge with his radar and told it was a 30. Gobsmacked at speed limit only 30 as EVERYONE goes at least 45 down that hill.

I got 2 points and £300 fine, which I was happy with!! My mitigating letter mustve read well.

Theyve all got it stitched up these days because magistrates are all part of the scamera partnership so they get to keep the money!

Did your ticket arrive after 14 days? If so, its your only get out. Go to pepipoo and get some more advice. Sometimes local authorities change speed limits on a road and dont got through the proper approvals processes and it can be illegal. Its a long shot but may be worth investigating.

Your best bet is to apologise and explain that :

1. Its a dual carriageway and not built up so you assumed it was 40 because...

2. The other traffic was doing 40 - 50 so you were keeping with the flow and in your opinion, doing 30 would have been an obstruction to other road users.

Ignorance is no defence in law but the beak may go easy on you and give you the 3pts + £60. Your clean licence will help hopefully.

I would def give a solicitor a call (should be no charge for a call).

172 Exclusive

Well i got 3 points and £60 fine for doing 50 in a 30 zone (own daft fault)

So id imagine yours will be similar mate.

I got caught in Great Western Road in Glasgow which the part I was in is 3 lanes!!!! I got caught doing 43mph. They were sitting in there car behind a wall. Unfair huh!!

When I questioned the cops about it both in the car at the time and on the phone after, it dont matter how many lanes, if there is no speed sings and lights its a 30. They only have repeter signs on anything over 30.

I got 3 points and £40 in 2003.

ACPO guidelines state that they should be clearly visible...the logic being so that people dont panic and jump on the anchors (especially if someone is pointing a back gun like thing at you!)....like someone did not long back and ploughed into the scamera van. The copper only just managed to get out of the way!

2015 Audi S3 Stage 3

Quote: Originally posted by Gaz2130 on 29 April 2005

would have thought you would get more than 3
3points and £60 fine i got for 52 in a 30 - ashamed!

I got done for doing exactly the same speed in a 30.I got 3 points and 60 quid!1 mph faster(ie 52 mph) and you pass a certain threshold which means you would have had to appear in court!
You got lucky.

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

You dont HAVE to appear in court. As I mentioned on the previous page I got hit doing 60 in a 30 and I pleaded guilty by post.