ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6.5" speakers really are easy to install - proof!

renault clio mk2
how thick is the mdf? i want to go to wickes now and get a sheet had some pioneers that ive had for 2 years and now have a use for them:D

Cheers

172 Cup
Might have persuaded me too :x

What would be good would be to have some ICE advice/installs especially speakers for idiots like me in the guides section :p

alien green rs133
i have done this also in my ph2 i must take pics, it really is super easy, i didnt even take door card off, the kick you can get of 6.5" door speakers is incredible

Old thread i know but did you use the original speaker wires? If so where does the tweeter wire join the mid wire originally? Or did you run seperate wires? Ta

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
On this occassion I think I did. But cant really remember specifically cos I've done it both ways.

If you want to use the original wiring you just splice into it in the door. If you're running comps then you'll no doubt have crossovers which will need to feed directly to the speakers anyway. The original tweeter wiring has never been an issue (or used) by me.

Sorry, forgive my stupidity but did you amp these? I'm thinking i can run speaker wire from the amp to the crossover and then from the crossover into the standard speaker wiring and then a seperate wire to the new tweeters? Would this be ok?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Cant remember if I amped them straight away or not but regardless the order you've written isnt quite right.

Amp>Crossover then woofer>standard speaker wiring (if you dont want to run it throught the door) and crossover>tweeter.

Hmm that's what i meant, basically running speaker wire from the crossover to the original woofer wiring. I'll try and draw a pic in paint lol.

speaker.jpg

Hopefully my crappy pic will how what i mean, run the yellow speaker wire from the crossover into the original woofer wiring and then leave the original tweeter wiring doing nothing and re wire the new tweeters to the crossover.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah thats it mate. But rather than splice into the orginal wiring cut it and use it from the cut. Seen someone just strip back the plastic coating and wrap the new wire around, not so good!

monaco 172
I've recently installed some 13cm speakers ad fully deadened the doors and amped them from my Phoenix gold tantrum but I'm just not happy with the kick so gonna save up for some 6.5's

Did you have to cut the metal on the door aswel or do they fit in the old hole ok aslong as you use mdf spacers?

Yeah thats it mate. But rather than splice into the orginal wiring cut it and use it from the cut. Seen someone just strip back the plastic coating and wrap the new wire around, not so good!

Ah yeah that's what i meant just hard to draw in paint :) Thanks for the reply.

I've recently installed some 13cm speakers ad fully deadened the doors and amped them from my Phoenix gold tantrum but I'm just not happy with the kick so gonna save up for some 6.5's

Did you have to cut the metal on the door aswel or do they fit in the old hole ok aslong as you use mdf spacers?

I believe it's just the plastic you have to cut back a bit not the actual door.

Cheers John, would you say there is space for a speaker 10mm deeper? I'm looking at some Alpine type r's but they are slightly bigger.