ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6 Hour Megane Detail (pic heavy)

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
A friend of my wife has a black 61 plate Megane and asked me if I could clean it for her.

She brought it round today at lunchtime and it was in a very sorry state. Her husband has been washing it with one of those petrol station jet washes with the brush for the last few years and every panel had fairly bad swirl marks.

I kicked off with ValetPro citrus pre wash rinsed off with jet wash. Then I snow foamed (ValetPro) and jet washed off again.

Next was a 2 bucket method wash with Poorboys slick and suds. I used to use this product but when it ran out I tried Auto Finesse Lather which I was a little dissaponted with. I've received a new bottle of slick and suds this morning and after using it again today in realised that it's a much better product than lather.

Next step I de-tarred using CarPro TarX, rinsed and then IronX and rinsed again before another 2 bucket wash. I'm not sure if I did this step in the correct order?

Dried and then set about attacking the paint with Menzerna heavy cut compound (400) and my trusty Megs DA. I had planned on using a glaze (Prima Amigo) but time was against me and the finish from the Menzerna compound was pretty slick anyway.

So after several hours of polishing I wiped the panels down with CarPro eraser and then gave it another 2 bucket wash before applying CarPro Hydro2 to the wet car. Dried again using drying towels and a quick lick of Megs endurance tyre shine.

Here are some before and after pics. They aren't the best (iPhone pics) but I think you get an idea of how bad the swirls were.

Constructive criticism welcomed

Before

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

After

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 123

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Much better! I bet that was proper satisfying seeing it after.

Black is an awesome colour to work on.

Yeah very much so :up:

What pad did you use baldy?

It was a medium cutting pad. Was a cheap one from iOclean. Won't be using them again though because as much as it did a great job it started to fall to bits at the end. I'll definitely be investing in better pads from now on.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
What's carpro hydro and is it any good? ( off to google it)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Looks interesting. I need to finish off my bottle of Chemical Guys Blitz and I'll get some.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Very nice. Fancy doing a Fiesta? ;-)

I have lost all interest in detailing with this car, not sure why :-(

Yeah I don't mind doing it for you mate. Won't be for a few weeks if that's ok as time is at a premium at the moment :up:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Sorry my notifications are off for some reason Dave! Need to sort it! :(

Brilliant work mate! Black is so rewarding! Very interested by this Menz polish, maybe a bit out the loop. Not sure how you get one step and heavy cut but technology is always moving on!

You've got a nice collection aswell Dave!!!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Looking good! I 'specially liked the before and after of that scuff on the arch.

Did you get bored of beating perps and switch to fondling cars?

Your Decontamination process is fine, as long as you washed off the tardis thoroughly, jobs a good un.

Why did you wash it again after polishing though? Seems like unnecessary contact after correcting the paint.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Sorry my notifications are off for some reason Dave! Need to sort it! 😧

Brilliant work mate! Black is so rewarding! Very interested by this Menz polish, maybe a bit out the loop. Not sure how you get one step and heavy cut but technology is always moving on!

You've got a nice collection aswell Dave!!!

Cheers Gally :wink:

The gloss after using the 400 FG Menzerna really surprised me. To be honest though, if I'd had more time I'd probably of done another stage using a finishing polish. It's coming back to me at some point in the near future so I'll probably look at using some Menzerna final finish.

I got some new 3M pads today. Also bought a 4 inch backing and some 3M spot pads.

Looking good! I 'specially liked the before and after of that scuff on the arch.

Did you get bored of beating perps and switch to fondling cars?

Your Decontamination process is fine, as long as you washed off the tardis thoroughly, jobs a good un.

Why did you wash it again after polishing though? Seems like unnecessary contact after correcting the paint.

I'm just testing the water to see how much interest there is locally for this kind of stuff.

If I'm honest I'm a bit concerned about my job going tits up over the next few years due to all the cuts.

If I have to retrain I think I'd like to get involved in this type of work as I really enjoy it.

As for washing the car after polishing I see your point. I'm guessing a wipe down with Eraser and then just wetting paint before putting on hydro 2 would be a better option?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'm just testing the water to see how much interest there is locally for this kind of stuff.

If I'm honest I'm a bit concerned about my job going tits up over the next few years due to all the cuts.

If I have to retrain I think I'd like to get involved in this type of work as I really enjoy it.

As for washing the car after polishing I see your point. I'm guessing a wipe down with Eraser and then just wetting paint before putting on hydro 2 would be a better option?

Id say sorry to hear but good on you for thinking so far ahead lol! I barely think into the next week haha.

It's rewarding isn't it, fingers crossed that there's a demand down your way for it then :)

Yeah, I'd have said just a misting with the pressure washer followed by hydro 2 would be much safer than Re washing

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Great results! That Meggy doesn't look the most 'friendly' of body-shapes to polish either.

Really need to do mine - and I simply have no excuses. Dry area, well illuminated. Access to water and a electric outlet. Extremely flat floor as well - I could even sit and wheel myself around the car on a stool! :smile: