ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"79 Mk1 Scirocco".. 1272cc Carburetor Turbo Project

Re: My 79 Mk1 Scirocco.... Got low

The specs not really that special Tom.. But with the below I hope to be pushing 200bhp once ive sorced some G60 injectors and its been mapped etc

G40 PY Engine
G40 ATV 5 Speed gearbox
Custom turbo manifold
Garret TB036 Turbo

Cheers folks .. I already have a fair few mates with dibs on the rocco if I ever sell it

Mk1 16v brooklands

U know how I feel about mist of your cars dude! This is no exception... Lushh

Cheers Dave :cool:

Few updates...

The turbos far to big so I need to sell that and find a T2/25 hybrid.. Shame as the T3 looks awesome lol

Im missing the G40 ECU from the setup and few other bits.. So rather than spending the money on buying parts to get it running short term im chasing ignition solutions so I can run it on the 5 GT turbo carb. The options are listed below..

1. 5 GT Turbo renix ignition
2. Early Saab 900 Turbo dizzy that advances on vacuum but also retards on boost
3. Megajolt standlone ignition ECU

Each has its up and downsides.. The guys on the G40 forum are great and are helping me through my problems as its all very new to me :eek:

Last edited:

Im going with an early Mk2 Golf dizzy with the vacuum r****d canister to control the ignition and Im sticking with the T3...

My mate welded my engine mount in for me in its new location so it would be rude not trial fit the engine.. It all very tight at the front end and on the bonnet

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.

i havent read the whole threa but your putting a g40 engine in it? so 1.3 supercharged and then its gonna be turboed aswell??

Cheers Mat.. Its from a 2WD Sapphire Cosworth LOL.. Bit big yes but thats what came with the engine and the lag will make traveling to shows cheaper ;)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I was thinking the turbo looked a bit big in the first pic. It's probably bigger than my k03s. Infact I'd say it is. But who cares about lag? It's hardly Gunna be a point to point racer! Haha

Its more like K04 size lol... Boost for duel carriage ways, motorways and very flat roads only lol

After reading up on Kjet turbos on VWVortex I found out I can use an early VW Rabbit dizzy vacuum canister and this will also r****d the ignition on boost.. I manged to sorce a NOS canister from a very friendly chap on Vortex.. So I intend to fit this to a mk2 Golf 1.3 dizzy.. wish me luck lol

IMG_0074.jpg

PS.. My mates dad has put a 2" notch in my O/S chassis leg but I have not got round to taking pictures yet.. I will wait till the other leg is done ;)

It won't be winning any shows this year but it will hopefully turn some heads... It will need some paint work to be a true show stopper which is on the cards for next year all being well..

Ive just sold the BMW.. So sinking the money into the rocco to get the engine finished :cool:

My car is said to have never been welded since it has left the factory and the first welding to take place is a chassis notch :cool::eek:... I still need to tidy it up but very pleased so far with glenns welding.. He's still got the other side to do :cool:

IMG_1149.jpg

After

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

Good job on the G40 turbo! My friends done about 5+ turbo conversions to the G40 engine, he's currently building a rather nice conversion with a rare german tubular manfiold and K04/s turbo. :) Bloody quick even on basic conversions!

I want to come down and hump your leg like a dog tbqfh!

Down boy!!!! ;)

Good job on the G40 turbo! My friends done about 5+ turbo conversions to the G40 engine, he's currently building a rather nice conversion with a rare german tubular manfiold and K04/s turbo. :) Bloody quick even on basic conversions!

Any pictures or a link to some builds?.. Any Idea what cam he is using and what rpm he intends to rev the engine too.. cheers dude

Ive cleaned up the notch... Glenns going to do some filling with the welder at weekend so I can get them fully smooth :approve:

Ive collected a 5 GTT carb at weekend and lots of other bits came in the post... Plenty to keep me busy.

IMG_1203.jpg

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

don't want to sound retarded but what use is the chassis notch? i know its so you can go lower, but is it cos the drive shafts would rub otherwise without it on winston style lows

Few people have asked so far from retarded

Yes.. They are to stop the driveshafts knocking on the chassis legs. The pictures on the first page are with no driveshafts fitted because when I first wound the coilovers down they stopped me from getting it sat right.

After many hours of grinding and sanding I'd had enough! I wasn't 100% happy with the way the notches blended in but I thought they looked ok for a first atempt.. This was ment to be quick job until I got carried away.. I will get them perfect when the full bay and car gets painted next year.. I now have so much respect for people with smooth engine bays. lol

IMG_1230.jpg

4 coats of zinc primmer

IMG_1245.jpg

4 coats of paint and 4 layers of laquer

IMG_1277.jpg

Cheers Folks :cool:

Vacuum canister fitted.. It was easy once I worked out I didn't have to strip the dizzy apart to fit it. lol

IMG_1239.jpg

Mk1 solex manifold.. Mk1 Solex carb.. 5 GTT Solex carb... Nice and simple, no adaptors needed.

IMG_1240.jpg

Ive bought the camcover on the left to polish up.

IMG_1247.jpg

A new cam seal is holding me up. I need it to change the G40 cam to a Polo GT cam, fit a cambelt and water pump... Then the engine can go back in :approve:

Not this year.. Im trying to make it look as much like an old original 1300cc Mk1 Golf engine as I can.. Once I know the engine is good etc I will make it shine.. i.e polish the turbo, gearbox and head:approve:

Genuine GTi... Nice!!

Right the engine is in after fitting a new cambelt, waterpump and Polo GT camshaft....

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

With the new engine being alot lighter than the 1.8 8V.. its not sitting as low as before.. This is an issue that needs some attention lol

IMG_1332.jpg

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

Looking very smart indeed, well done! Love the colour.