ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"79 Mk1 Scirocco".. 1272cc Carburetor Turbo Project

Re: My 79 Mk1 Scirocco.... Got low

Cheers folks :cool:

Now the engine is in I have ran into a few problems to deal with....

1. The carb fauls the bonnet on the adaptor plate so ive got to drill and tap the inlet manifold and even then it will be tight.

2. My turbo is upside down so the oil feed and drain wouldn't work.. I can't rotate the housings due to it being seized so Im on the hunt for a new turbo.. wish I had noticed sooner before I had bought lots of parts for the current turbo.. Oh well live you learn.

3. The shocks bottom out due to it being to low.. So I need to purchase some balljoint raisers as I can't raise my turrets like the Mk1 Golf boys because I have no room.. Im just waiting on the company getting back intouch on how to pay.

4. Looms are going to be a nightmare.. Its looking like I need to make the under bonnet looms from scratch.

Once these problems are sorted im sure I will have another list of problems to deal with.. Why do I make things hard for myself LOL

Re: My 79 Mk1 Scirocco.... Got low

Cheers Darren.. Erm.. at a guess under 900kg.

Ive got to be persistent Ali.. I normally just give up and break it when the going gets tuff :eek:;)

Cheers for the kind words guys.. Im into far to give up this time and I have much love for this car.

Ive just bought a Garrett T25 Hybrid from 5 Turbo on ebay today which is much more suited to the 1.3.. So fingers crossed I can make this work and get the project moving again :cool:

^
So do I lol

The new turbo turned up today.. Old on the left.. New on the right

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

The new turbo is quite abit smaller as you can see but its also much much lighter :approve:

Last edited:
Im going up to the car later in a hope that both housing rotate ok might might need a soak in some plus gas.

£80 for the old one... it has no back and forth play but does have side to side play, could do with a rebuild kit for piece of mind imo.. it also comes with a section of down pipe.

IMG_1385.gif

Common a muck these Mk1 roccos lol

Its just got to that stage were there is lots of mocking up to do and making things fit.. Trail and error but Im plodding on :cool:

Ive turned the turbo housings and fitted a standard T3 actuator... leaving me an oil feed and downpipe left to sort out

The inlet is tapped and carb bolted down and ive sorted the throttle mechanism

I worked out the ball joint spacers would not work.. So saving up for AVO coilovers

Slow and steady wins the race ;)

ValverInBits
Awesome project! Why run a G40 engine on carb? they injection as standard are they not? Mate of mine runs polo performance parts, has an emulator to map the standard G40 ECU amongst other tricks. Let me know if you need to get in touch.

Cheers dudes

To keep it old skool and because it makes it easy for home tuning.. Fuel, boost & ignition are all mechanically adjustable.. A guy on the G40 forum already running a similar set up to mine is pushing over 200bhp.

Honda ATR
Lovely motor you have there.

Do you happen to know Pete Strange (Yoof)? he's quite big on the Polo scene. Currently building himself a menace of a G40.

I don't know Yoof personally but I have been following his build on the G40 forum.

I feel like im getting somewhere now.. The bay is starting to fill up :approve:

IMG_1574.jpg

I also pushed it out side on sunday and gave it a wash and polish etc

IMG_1600.jpg

Nothings wrong lol

I bought the caddy dirty, it stayed dirty.. I bought the scirocco clean, it stays clean. ;)

Winter in that damp unit hasn't been the best to it tbh.. Lots of rust creeping in on the under side. :(

Quick update, mainly for Jason

The mount bracket on the left is from a small block Mk1.. The one on right is from a big block Mk1.

IMG_1622.jpg

I didn't know they differed and fitted the big block bracket to my small block and I wondered why my carb hit the bonnet lol.. when I realised and fitted the small block bracket it sat alot lower than my wishbone mounts and became the lowest point on the car.. you can see the difference in height below but i also sit further foward.

IMG_1620.jpg

Im going to enlarge the hole on the big block and get it on the bench grinder :evil:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Sweet! I just took the big air filter assembly off mine to realise it's not a Pierburg, it's a webber. Needs a rebuild and a new fuel filter tbh.