ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

98 ron fuel not at a shell. shock!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

piss off

some youth challenged me the other day about this.

well heres the proof

dk

911 GTS Cab

I paid 89p a litre for ultimate on the m42 last night, nearly collapsed at the pump, if I wasnt out of fuel I would have driven off! Then I got some Shell Optimax this morning for 78p in High Wycombe which I thought was quite reasonable!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Yes total mate. the fuel seems to make no difference to the car (just like optimax) runs the same.

But its cheap.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

No you dont get the trumps but you do get french fuel for your french car at cheap prices.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

.... and its so unlikeyly your going to win the top trumps supercar, you might as well buy a pack of PROPER top trumps at a motorway service garage with the money you save!

79.9 at mine but another sells it for 84 which is a joke. so totals normal fuel is 98 ron? Thats handy it being oposite side of the road to the reno garage.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

might do might not. sounds like youve been sucked in by the hype.

but then they just sell 98 ron fuel they dont make bold claims.

difficult one to call really. I have run Optimax from new, never had a drop of anything else in it. Not to say I wont change and this cheaper 98RON fuel is definately worth looking into and if it has decent detergents in it I would have no hesitation in changing. One thing I will not do is put lesser known brands fuels in my car, I have always stuck to the top 3 brands due to the fuel having less debris / impurities in it. This is important with injection cars as they can clog up quite easily.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

to be honest its all a bit of a lottery isnt it.

you have no idea what thier main tanks are like and what sort of sh*t the fuel has picked up in transit.

Clio 197

Shell has replaced the 98 RON here with 100 RON. It was €1,199 or £0.8168 last time I filled up at the local station.

One thing to consider is that pipelines from refineries can have heating oil running through them in the morning and super u/l running in the same pipe an hour later, so may be you the the super u/l that followed the jet fuel down the pipeline!

Ok i have been reading this and am interested to know, just what difference do these "High RON" unleaded petrols make......?

My clio is a 1.2 and i have always used normal unleaded (95 RON).....so if i start using these Shell 98s - 100s or whatevers...then what difference will i notice....and are Sainsburys a good place to fill up at.... currently 74.5p a litre here.....:D and super unleaded is 78.5p

BMW 320d Sport

No difference whatsoever. Some cars are designed to run on 98 super, mainly quick/new cars. 98 can be a necessity on some older turbo motors if theyve been modded to run higher boost and the extra octane will enable them to run this sort of boost without detonation problems. Essentially, any car that is supposed to run on Super, has to be run on Super otherwise once you start to cane it, it will at best be sluggish and at worst youll knacker the engine (depending on how comprehensive the engine management is).

A car that is designed to run on 95 RON normal unleaded does not need to use 98 RON at all. Many people may feel happy thinking that they are treating their car to a pampered existence feeding it Super when it doesnt need it, but it really makes no difference at all, the car is not designed to use super so it will not advance its timing to use the extra octane, therefore no more power, no more fuel economy. Youre paying extra for basically a few fancy detergents. All petrol has detergents in it anyway. Maybe Shells are better, I dont know but no-ones engine ever knackered up from using Tescos normal unleaded all its life.

Injectors occasionally clog, thats just life, whip em out and get them serviced at a Bosch centre. If running Optimax all the time stops this then great, but its such a minor problem thats its not worth paying for Optimax all the time unless your engine requrires 98. A bit like when you buy a washing machine and they try and get you to pay another £150 for a 5 year warranty which you really dont need - if it ever breaks down itll cost less than that to fix it anyway, or itll be so old by then that youll be getting rid of it.

i was told this some time ago (when i had my uno turbo so a long time ago)

surprised no-one had noticed before

Does a 172 HAVE to run on optimax/super unleaded?

Im just wondering becasue when i got my car i asked the bloke if he used s/u or optimax and he said he just used normal unleaded.Im doing the same at the mo but its due for a fill up soon so i might stick some s/u in.Am i likely to feel much of a difference in performance?

Gav.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

it says to use 98ron so i do. i dont really care who makes it tbh

BMW 320d Sport

AFAIK most modern 98 RON cars will cope with 95 RON without much trouble, after all there is a wide variation in the octane of petrol from different sources even if they all are nominally the 95 or whatever.

All that happens is the ECU will realise that 95 octane is being used and r****d the ignition slightly wherever on its map theres a danger of detonation/knock. All sorts of modern fast cars do this, and if you look at almost any enthusiasts website for a car of this sort, you will find somewhere in an FAQ a bit about how t0 reset the ECU for 98 after a long stint on 95. In some cars it just recalibrates on every start. On others you have to press the accelerator 3 times, the brake 5 times, turn the steering from lock to lock, then get out and do a rain dance before it will reset to make use of 98 fuel.

I have no idea what the 172 does, but Im pretty certain that it does have an adaptive ECU that will register the higher octane fuel if you start to use it consistently, and thus advance the ignition and give you more power. What exactly you have to do to trigger this, Im not sure.

Black 200 Cup

Yes, I heard (in this wilderness of constant sh*te) that if you run an Impreza on 95RON for any length of time, you have to reset the ECU before itll make any use of Super Unleaded/Optimax etc again. Dunno if its true, but Ive run the cup on Optimax or BP Ultimate just in case. I knew that Total did a Super unleaded but I thought it was rated 97RON. Is this what the original argument was?

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Impreza ECUs from 99(or there abouts) onwards were adaptive also. No need to reset the ECU.