ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A correctly driven 197 is faster than a standard 172/182!

Lee

BMW M2C
A controversial title...maybe...but having spent as long as I wanted in the car yesterday around Brands, without anyone telling me what I can and can't do I was able to drive the car how I wanted.

Obviously I've had a 172, 182 with Cup packs and currently have the Trophy as well as having driven 172 Cups, valvers and Williams so I'm quite up on my RenaultSport Clios.

Having driven then 197 at Oulton but only for a few laps I was lucky enough yesterday to get my hands on one for as long as I wanted at Brands, and with those new brakes that was a lot longer than I'd go in my car. lol

Thoughts on the car in no real order:

Brakes, they have to get mentioned first as they are truly amazing. They allowed you to brake so much later and harder and resisted fade lap after lap. I drove the car straight after Jeremy had finished in it, with no cool down period and the pedal was solid as a rock.

Handling wise it couldn't be a more surefooted yet adjustable car. The level of grip it has is far more than any previous Clio on road tyres I've driven. It settles into a corner so easily and just goes round. What is amazing is that if you want to adjust your line there's no sawing at the wheel or drama you can just lift and steer and it goes round. The rear end doesn't feel light anymore, and to a degree really feels like it steers from the rear as opposed to just dragging it round.

The steering is light, especially after getting out of the Trophy, but it weights up nicely under hard cornering, and offers decent feedback though not as much as the previous generation of RenaulSport Clios. The older car has the edge in that area for me, though the small chunky wheel is perfection.

The engine in the car I drove had around 2k on it and unlike the new one I drove previously had an obvious 5k kick as well as making a useful noise. When shifting up and getting back on the power there was the usual kick, which the new low mileage car lacked. The gearbox, although a little tight (being new) is excellent and didn't seem flustered when rushed, unlike the old unit which crunches 1st to 2nd when pushed hard! I did on a couple of occasions fail to get it into gear but I suspect that's because it was new and still tight. I had the same with mine for months.

Anyway, enough about the car. On track I had no problems catching and passing numerous 172s and 182 including a couple of Trophy. There was only one car (a Trophy) which I didn't pass as he was lapping at a very similar pace. I'd been out for a good while by then so figured it was probably a good idea to give the poor car a rest. The rest of the day I passed 197s in the Trophy. It's a shame people didn't get the chance to really push on, but then crashing someone elses car isn't a good thing.

Everyone else had to lap with an instructor so had to be a little more careful, as well as having a limited time in the car. Given a free reign you can really so how impressive the car is. It feels more of a precision instrument rather than something you can chuck around by the scruff of the neck.

After I'd done in the 197 I jumped back in the Trophy and it felt so different. I'm confused now as to which I prefer. The 197 will lap quicker without a shadow of doubt, but I fear it's weight disadvantage will hurt it's quick direction changes on B roads, though the excellent damping I'm sure will more smooth out the poor surface enough to still put it ahead of the previous models. If it were to lose a few pounds here and there then I have no doubt it would become the new greatest hot hatch ever. Once back in the Trophy what hits you is that you turn the wheel and it goes straight away, it feels light on it's feet, with minimal contact with the tarmac it skips along light, but surefooted. Into the first corner at Brands, hard on the brakes and the rear end isn't even on the tarmac, making you work hard to keep it in a straight line before chucking it into the fast sweeping right is great fun (hey Iain;)) that's something the 197 doesn't do, it will make it through the turn without any of the drama/fun and come out the other side ahead.

I think that just about covers my thoughts.

Lee

Meg on pistonheads £6995
quote: "without any of the drama/fun"

sounds great, but is it just too blinkin' refined?

I love the fact that my Wife hates my bone-shaker - if I had a 197 she'd borrow it :-(

Maz

LY 200
After drinvng it again at brands yesterday with a few more miles on the clock it felt and sounded alot better imho :)

Good write up Lee

Lee

BMW M2C
It will be to refined for some people. When I say drama/fun to some people being able to do that is drama, to others it's fun.

What I didn't add was that Jeremy was able to put it sideways and play with it a lot more than I could. It's a very forgiving car.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice write up Lee - this one is going to run and run and run.

For the record...I disagree.

It felt good sure, and the "instructor" I had gave me absolute free rein to press on - it did and does move about near/on the limit, and yep, it's quite nicely adjustable mid-corner - but quicker overall with all that extra mass?

I'm not so sure.

Turbos.
Yeah, thanks for the review. The biggest pain about not going was missing out on a drive in the 197 as i am teetering on the brink of getting one next year.

I guess from the perspective of it being your only car, you would have to decide what is more important, road driving or track driving. It is a better car, end of, but for sheer entertainment the old Clios still have it (IMO). Fortunately for me it doesn't need to be an out and out track car.

By biggest dilema though is the thought that i would buy one and then a better Cup model comes out!

Nice review Lee, looks like we should be expectant of future models ie cupped versions etc with some weight loss it sounds like it could be fantastic!

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Nice review mate. Some very interesting points. Just hope this doesn't into a keyboard bashing frenzy! If you aren't bothered about .2 seconds to 60, the 197 sounds like the much better buy for just about everything, bar 0-60/100.

Tyson.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I agree with Tyson and cliobuyer, the 197 is a great car and would be ideal for me.

The thing putting me off buying one is the inevitable wait for the cup/trophy models they bring out. If i keep hanging on and on i may well buy a different car instead. it's a shame really, as i loved the 197, i just want to know what they will actually do qith the cup/trophy model!

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!
I test drove one at the weekend and thought it felt flat through 4k revs, I then relised I missed my turbo and thats what was missing from this car IMHO lol

Other than that a great driving position, wicked (huggy) seats, nice breaks and an altogether good package...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
excellent write up mate, those are my thoughts on the car, down to a tee!!

VaVa
Nice one Lee... the way you describe the handling reminds me of my old 306.

What we're dealing with here is an entirely different kettle of fish compared to previous Clios.

I think Mark Cup has hit the nail on the head - This is the first in a long line of RS's and there's no denying that the Mk2 RS got better with each revision - I see no reason why the same shouldn't be true about the Mk3.

And if the FF version is this good then the Cup model should be an absolute stonker.

Octavia VRS
Enjoyed reading that Lee. Haven't had a test drive of the 197 yet but was in a standard new Clio at the weekend and the handling/ride/acceleration was piss poor imo. Good to see Reanult Sport have sprinkled their magic over the 197

Clio 172 mk2
Good review

I don't doubt at all that the 197 is probably quicker than it's predeccesors...it's the brakes and suspension that probably make all the difference.

Lovely car....just a tad too expensive though:(

172 Cup
Nice write up, Lee.

When I drove one I just didn't like having to adapt to a heavier car and less dramatic acceleration. But it is very composed in the corners, and looks great on track.

Fantastic brakes and nice seats. I loved the steering wheel too, but thought the steering was too light. Loved the gearbox, short, snappy and easier to work with than mine.

Nice balanced write up of your experience there Lee you big geeky hunk of burning love.

It is refreshing to know that , in your opinion at least, the 197 is a 182/172 beating track weapon. I dont personally think that will translate onto the road so well, but you do mention that possiblity :)

It's also nice to hear that the 5k kick does exist on some cars. I will probably have another test drive soon when all the demo cars have been given proper death, and then draw a fresh conclusion that's not clouded by my first drive :)

I cretainly value your thoughts and opinions since you have far more experience of the car than myself. There was never any doubt in my mind though that it's a better drive.

Lee

BMW M2C
Notorious said:
Were you driving a red 197 lee?

Blue one.

I still got owned by all the Mk1s though. I moved out the way for the Nana and one of the others, either a Williams or you.

MY10 R35 GTR
stick 197 brakes on a 182...... sorted. probably stop better because less weight.

good report mate

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Lee said:
Blue one.

I still got owned by all the Mk1s though. I moved out the way for the Nana and one of the others, either a Williams or you.

Ahh well I've just be looking at some footage and there was a red one making very good progress..must have a had a handy wheel man...

al

ST on the way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
On track I had no problems catching and passing numerous 172s and 182 including a couple of Trophy.

Any Meggy 225's?

*cough*

Lee

BMW M2C
Notorious said:
Ahh well I've just be looking at some footage and there was a red one making very good progress..must have a had a handy wheel man...
If the helmet was black with yellow bits on it was Jeremy, he's seriously handy. Other than that I noticed one of the other Renault staffers in one for a bit, as well as the instructors of course.

I'm looking forward to seeing the footage of all the Mk1s going for it.

I don't remember seeing any Meganes during my time out there in the 197. If I did I passed them, but they were probably people on their instructor laps.

I took the Megane out in the afternoon. Lovely car if you need something bigger than the Clio. No real obvious turbo kick just very smooth power delivery.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
i was very impressed with the 197 as well.
Didnt get to drive it but was taken out in a hot lap.
Its was so much better than the meggy 225(i didnt like that at all, it was as dull as a LCR to drive).
The 197 was not as raw as my cup but a much better alround car.
I wouldnt buy 1 tho

Trophy 265/500
I commented on the quality of the brakes in my wee review. With std pads and discs the fade factor will be a factor on track for 182. But how many bods who track regularly have std brakes?

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
I got a session in a 197 as well, I had kind of criticised it in another post for not having enough poke. But on track it was awesome. It seemed to grip and grip even in the wet and the brakes were great. So it might not be good for traffic light grand prix, but I think it will go round a track faster than any equivelent hot hatch right now. The demo cars were running all day as well with no (apparent) breaks so that must say something!

Nissan Pulsar N14 SSS
Congratulation on a fair and honest account of your experience with the 197 at Brands... lucky Dude...:D

I'm in Australia (Oz for short) and waiting patiently for the 197 to be released here - no orders being taken just yet...

I was going to hold out for a Golf GTi, but now I'm totally convinced in the 197.

Nearly all the 197 reviews that I have read so far are in the high positives, and it amazes me how in one article one writer said the brakes were soft and spongey, which totally contradicts your comments and many comments from other writers - we'll always have differences in opinions, whether based on fact or on emotion (people can get a bit nasty if they don't like what they want to read)...

Comments from one review - http://driving.timeonline.co.uk state:

"The 197 is the best affordable driver's small hatch we have seen in at least the past decade. It's place in history is assured"

Comments from other reviews ask the question - 'Should I buy a 197? - No, buy two...'

The car will most likely sell here in Oz for AU$35,000 (a Golf GTi is AU$40,000), and all the 182's are gone...

Come on Renault, load up a few 197's and ship 'em out to Oz ASAP.
:star:

Last edited:
  A red missile
RSCLIO197 said:
Congratulation on a fair and honest account of your experience with the 197 at Brands... lucky Dude...:D

I'm in Australia (Oz for short) and waiting patiently for the 197 to be released here - no orders being taken just yet...

I was going to hold out for a Golf GTi, but now I'm totally convinced in the 197.

Nearly all the 197 reviews that I have read so far are in the high positives, and it amazes me how in one article one writer said the brakes were soft and spongey, which totally contradicts your comments and many comments from other writers - we'll always have differences in opinions, whether based on fact or on emotion (people can get a bit nasty if they don't like what they want to read)...

Comments from one review - http://driving.timeonline.co.uk state:

"The 197 is the best affordable driver's small hatch we have seen in at least the past decade. It's place in history is assured"

Comments from other reviews ask the question - 'Should I buy a 197? - No, buy two...'

The car will most likely sell here in Oz for AU$35,000 (a Golf GTi is AU$40,000), and all the 182's are gone...

Come on Renault, load up a few 197's and ship 'em out to Oz ASAP.
:star:

What an absolute load of f**king b****cks, thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

Nissan Pulsar N14 SSS
63/500 said:
What an absolute load of f**king b****cks, thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

Sorry Dude - don't shoot the messenger - I'm only quoting an account from a 197 reviewer from Times... maybe he should have wrote that the 197 is slower and as useless as a 1948 VW... Happy with that?

If you don't agree, then that's an emotive response (I think)...

Cars are sooo emotional - I wonder if it was like this in the 19th century, when the Dudes would debate about whcih of their horses was better at cornering and pulling up than others... and what typoe of horse shoe was better over another...:clown:

Rock on the 197 or in another time, rock on Dobbin the olde grey mare....

Renault Laguna Coupe
Interesting commentary Lee. Have you tried an RS225? Mine laps quicker than my V6 or 172, and I think I passed all the 197s yesterday (I can see why they're called 197 - there seemed to be about 197 of them to overtake every lap!!).

Still got blitzed by the Willys though. But I guess that's progress :S

i dont see how it can be faster on track than a Trophy its down to the driver at the end of the car when cars are so close.

Lee

BMW M2C
telford_mike said:
Interesting commentary Lee. Have you tried an RS225? Mine laps quicker than my V6 or 172, and I think I passed all the 197s yesterday (I can see why they're called 197 - there seemed to be about 197 of them to overtake every lap!!).

Still got blitzed by the Willys though. But I guess that's progress :S

Yup, I did try the Megane in the afternoon. I love it, especially the instant and smooth power delivery. It's maybe just a little too refined for me, but other than that it feels very similar to a big Clio. I didn't get as long in the Megane so won't write an essay. The instructor was happy to let me get on with things though after a few laps. :approve:

Snotter's
ive been driving the renault Leeds 197 for the past few days and i prefer the 172/182.As you said the brakes are fantastic without a doubt,the car grips very well but does feel a bit cumbersome.The engine !!!! this was the let down,in its defense the car is on 1800 miles and did feel tight but we did a few runs against my brothers ctr and it was a fair way off.It does seem very punchy low down but when revved didnt offer much

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I still can't make myself like the 197. I've seen a few on the road now and I much prefer the appearance of my 182. It looks too high for one, but the real dislike comes from the front view. The lights look bad and the front wings just too high. When I see this.....

imagegallery19.gif

I immediately think of this.....

popup-initia-UK.gif

I am trying so, so hard to like the appearance of the 197. Maybe if I slap myself with a wet fish and repeat "197 is better to look at than a 182" two-thousand times, it may have some effect? :S

D.