ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A noobish question!

MINI Cooper S
Sorry but its that time again for another noob question. Basically i want an induction kit for my mk2 ph1 1.2 8v, but i see it as being more complex than other cars. By this i mean there is a large black box behind the engine(with the green clip on it), i assume to control the incoming air temp etc, and the pipe leading to this does not have anything on the end of it, now do i simply put the induction kit on the end of this pipe? Or do i have to fiddle with the black box to make the induction kit effective. Ive seen a BMC universal closed induction kit i like, so may go for this one. To explain this muddle of what ive just said is a pic below of my engine bay, hope it makes sense.Thanks!...phew...
IMG_3779.jpg

Thats thing with the green clip is the MAP sensor its a GM part ironically. It looks like the pipes pluged in though else the engine would run funny.

Least that whats my tired mind thinks.

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
that bay needs a good clean!

wouldnt the new kit replace that long furry pipe?

FOR SALE!!!
hmmm the long furry pipe is just ya air feed my 1.2 8v engine does not look like that all my sensor are plugged on to to the tb meening i could just take the black box out and the pipe work and run what ever i wanted did not need anyhink speacil i have unversail filter from halfords to start then got a cheap piper cross and just joined these on to the orgnail pipe soz for spelling hate been thick lol

MINI Cooper S
its a second hand one off Ebay and is just the filter so i would have to buy pipe separate. I would rather not mess around with sensors and stuff tbh, so would it still make a difference if i bought some new pipe and wacked it on the end of that and ran a pipe from the front of the car into the filter? And yes it does need a good clean :)

Same engine as me. D7f engine.

That big box at the bag all comes out and the Induction kit fits in its place. Its a 15 min job.

Please see the before and after photos below. (JeSus - I hope you don't mind using your photos)

DSC00968.jpg

100_0034.jpg

100_0032.jpg

The only differance between the above pics and my car is, I have also put in a cold air feed as the IK is so close to the engine; and was just sucking in all the hot air.

Last edited:
  RenaultSport 197
Yea the big cloth looking pipe going into the engine at the back and running to the grill is the cold air feed pipe. I think you can just take that off and when you order an IK it provide a peice of plastic or rubber tubing which attaches to it.

I'm not taking the piss, but will putting an induction kit on that engine make any noticable difference?

RenaultSport 197
^ ^ :rolleyes: If it's anything like the 16v.. Probably not. IK did nothing for my car really apart from heatsoak and slight torque when I got to 6k revs..

There are no noticable power gains, but you get the induction roar. Plus with a nice clean engine bay, a set of coloured vaccume hoses and maybe some braided steel overs for the coolant hoses, it can look quite smart.

RenaultSport 197
There are no noticable power gains, but you get the induction roar. Plus with a nice clean engine bay, a set of coloured vaccume hoses and maybe some braided steel overs for the coolant hoses, it can look quite smart.

Oh yea, that's another thing. The 'Induction Roar' ... My engine is competely standard and when I fitted the Pipercross Induction kit for my motor I got no 'roar' or 'deep engine tone' as people and what the box said. I revved it at low revs.. nothing.. I revved it at medium revvs.. nothing then I revved it full on..... nothing. The only noise I got was from it quickly sucking in air (which I get from standard set up anyway), but not that deep stainless steel type noise. And my kit was fitted correctly! ;)

Anybody else notice no 'roar'?

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
The engine is to small to make a roar lol you can always put it on the end of a leaf sucker and test it for roarage haha.

RenaultSport 197
The engine is to small to make a roar lol you can always put it on the end of a leaf sucker and test it for roarage haha.

Well that's b*llocks mate i'm sorry!

An old acquaintance of mine had a completely standard 1.0ltr Corsa C with the same induction kit as me and his made a decent noise when he revved his parked up, and he didn't have to rev it hard either.

Oh yea, that's another thing. The 'Induction Roar' ... My engine is competely standard and when I fitted the Pipercross Induction kit for my motor I got no 'roar' or 'deep engine tone' as people and what the box said. I revved it at low revs.. nothing.. I revved it at medium revvs.. nothing then I revved it full on..... nothing. The only noise I got was from it quickly sucking in air (which I get from standard set up anyway), but not that deep stainless steel type noise. And my kit was fitted correctly! ;)

Anybody else notice no 'roar'?

The Pipecross foam ones like yours make a deep boom from 3-4.5k, but to get the really loud inductiony sound you need a stainless steel type K&N one, foam ones always are quieter.

Clio mk1
Same engine as me. D7f engine.

That big box at the bag all comes out and the Induction kit fits in its place. Its a 15 min job.

Please see the before and after photos below. (JeSus - I hope you don't mind using your photos)

View attachment 298120

View attachment 298121
View attachment 298122

The only differance between the above pics and my car is, I have also put in a cold air feed as the IK is so close to the engine; and was just sucking in all the hot air.
Maybe I am a bit late (16 years late) but how did you get rid of the MAP sensor on top of the black air filter box? Because I want to install a cold air intake filter but I want to keep the MAP sensor, and I keep looking at the photo where you have the cone installed and I can't see the sensor and the black air box but still seeing the tube that connects to the front of the car. Thx btw