ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aaah failed MOT valver. Advice needed

Hello all

My valver has failed its MOT surprise, surprise.

The Off Side Front, lower ball joint is knackered and there is play in the steering because of it. So needs replacing at a cost of £95.00 plus they say tracking needs to be redone so extra £25.

Is this about right?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
If you can do the ball joint yourself do it, they are pretty easy if you can use a socket set and read a haynes manual, A ball joint will cost about £25-£40 from a motor factors

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
Ball joint is IRO £10 from GSF. I was told tehy are not available and had to get lower arm including the balljoint for £25. After getting it was advised you can get ball joint seperate but thought good idea to do whole lower arm.

Fitting was about 1 hour at £30 an hour. Got steering column welded at same time to sort out my steering at that was another £30.

changing the ball joint is a mssion, I did mine myself (my dad helped me with it) when I did it I ended up with the whole lot moving towards me (the bolts etc were seized up & it gradually moved towards me with me trying to remove it) so by the end the whole lot was about an inch & half out !
It was a mission to put back together !

Tbh I wish, i'd just got a garage to do it !!
The tracking price is about rigght & I got the new ball joint from gsf car parts.

OK thanks for the responses. According to the garage under the new MOT rules if you fail an MOT and take the car out to do the work yourself then when you take it back they have to do a whole noew MOT and charge you again!!! MADNESS

So I am biting the bullet and having the work done, no other choice really

1996 Valver
sleepy said:
OK thanks for the responses. According to the garage under the new MOT rules if you fail an MOT and take the car out to do the work yourself then when you take it back they have to do a whole noew MOT and charge you again!!! MADNESS

So I am biting the bullet and having the work done, no other choice really

You may want to check that out.......i always thought you where allowed a week to do the work before getting re-charged!!!!

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
If the vehicle is taken away from the Testing Station and returns for re-examination on other than one or more of the items listed below, the vehicle must be fully inspected on all Testable items, for which the Testing Station may charge (up to) the full Test fee.

“NO FEE” RE-TEST ITEMS
Free re-test* items which do not require the full Test to be conducted if the vehicle is brought back to the station and re-Tested before the end of the next working day:

*Only one free re-test is permissible per MOT

ANTI LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) WARNING
BODY CONDITION
(WHERE THE EXAMINATION OF THE BODY IS CARRIED OUT SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF ASCERTAINING WHETHER THERE ARE ANY SHARP EDGES OR PROJECTIONS LIKELY TO CAUSE INJURY)
BOOT LID
BRAKE PEDAL ANTI-SLIP DEVICES
DIRECTION INDICATORS/ HAZARD WARNING
DOORS
DROPSIDES
EXHAUST EMISSIONS
FUEL FILLER CAP
HEADLAMP AIM
HORN
LAMPS
LOADING DOOR
MIRRORS
REAR REFLECTORS
REGISTRATION PLATES
SEAT BELTS (BUT NOT ANCHORAGES)
SEATS
STEERING WHEEL
TAILBOARD
TAILGATE
V. I. N.
WINDSCREEN
WINDSCREEN WIPERS/ WASHERS
WHEELS AND TYRES (Class III, IV and VII only)

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
Would ask them what they are doing and break down the cost. If you advise them that a new lower arm including ball joint in 25 quid from GSF (50 quid from renault) and 1 hour to fit I'd get them to do that. Or its a tenner for GSF for ball joint on its own and probably a bit quicker.

So should be IRO £65 to sort plus whatever they think will sort steering play if its not ball joint. Then tracking is up to you as it sounds like they are wanting to make as much from you as possible. If you think the same and tracking not part of MOT would take it elsewhere for that on principle.