ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS kicking in at low speed...

S3, Polo
Hi guys,

Just bought my 172 and I've got a bit of a mystery: my ABS kicks in momentarily when I brake from literally any speed (5mph to 70mph).

This evening, I've removed all of the wheels, checked all of the calipers, pads and discs and they all seem fine. Actually, all of the consumables are new and the pistons seem to be in superb condition!

Might I need to bleed the system, perhaps to flush any old fluid and possible bubbles?

Thanks for any pointers.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Most likely issue is a cracked abs ring or a cv has split and covered the abs ring in grease. Hope its the second cos a good clean up and resecure the cv and you're done!

S3, Polo
Thanks fellas.

Sure enough, there was loads of greas all over the ABS ring. Cleaned with brake cleaner and an old toothbrush and it seems to have gone away at high speed but is still present (though massively reduced) at low, low speeds.

The ABS ring was also -apparently- intact, though looked very corroded. Could this have the same effect?

Would the cure be to sand it down a bit or am I looking at a replacement?

S3, Polo
Just been out to the car and popped up the n/s. It appears the disc may be very slightly warped. Could this be the culprit?

I have some spare Brembo HC's in the garage, so could fit them and test it, but would rather not if it's likely to be something else?

Thanks.

S3, Polo
Thanks for the help chaps!

Checked last night again and the fault is being caused by both front ABS reluctor rings having cracked.

Balls.

clio 172 2003
Hi, im experiencing the same thing, when i start up the car the abs light comes on and goes off like it should, however when i drive - more noticably at lower speeds the abs kicks in, however theres still no warnings on the dash or anything. am i right in thinking its probably not gonna be one of the abs wheel sensors? im pretty new to car maintenance so any help would be appriciated, also it was suggested to maybe stick it on a diag. machine to see the fault code, if there is one. do yous think this will help. cheers, kev

2003 flame red clio 172