ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adeys F4RT Twingo GT

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
On the backwards gear shifter thing it looks like I can just unpin the selector off the box and refit a correct on from a Twingo or possibly Clio mk3 dci. As long as it comes from a car with a floor mounted shifter it should be fine where as I think my box came from a car with a dash mounted shifter. The arms are on the opposite side between the 2 boxes.

20210311_090210.jpg

Not much else can be done until the next wave of parts arrive so I've started refitting trim, the above engine/windscreen stuff is back on along with the wipers. I'm collecting the new Rad on Monday so I can fully refit the front slam panel afterwards.

20210311_114301 (1).jpg
20210311_092317.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
A friend sorted me with some more bits today, namely a forge motorsport boost pipe. So made a start on the cold side boost pipework using the chopped up Forge pipe, I'm waiting on getting my Throttle body back which I'm having welded up with a bit of ali. Standard has a plastic pipe bolted to it but it has a 30mm bore so didn't want to use it. Once that's here I can finish that side up. I've extended the wiring for the map and temp sensor to reach the pipe work using the laguna loom. I think I want to try a megane 225 hot side pipe off the turbo if anyone has a cheap one kicking about? might look a little neater if I can get the boost run to swing around the alternator.

20210313_155608.jpg
20210313_134123.jpg
20210313_133011.jpg
20210313_133006.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So the plan this week is to test drive the car for a few miles (with no exhaust) No load and very partial throttle so the ecu can try and target lambda. So new rad fitted up curtesy of @RustyMojo who had a spare in his garage that he will probably need after selling it on :ROFLMAO: So that was fitted, system bled up and slam panel fully refitted, fingers crossed for the final time. I also picked up my throttle body from Zurawski Motorsport where they welded on a ali pipe so I can actually pipe everything up (i used an old R5 GTT dump valve take off) This was abit scary as I had to fully strip down the throttle body so nothing got cooked when welding and then reassemble it today. All seem fine though but ill know more when I run the car up. Nick Kettle is sending me a meg 225 hot side boost pipe which if I can use will free up a little space by the radiator which is needed. Everything is getting tight in there now and there's still more to get in 🤦‍♂️ Thanks for looking in (y)

20210315_135544.jpg
20210315_135541.jpg
20210315_132241.jpg
20210315_131143.jpg
20210315_131133.jpg
20210315_125149.jpg
20210315_122355.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Cold side wrapped up though I need to get an intake temperature sensor to fully complete it. Rigged up with spares as normal but fits nicely now. Also popped down to my mate at forge motorsport and grabbed a blanking plate (for that cho cho cho flutter noise) and hose to use as a turbo intake. All in and the headlights fully fitted. Just the hot side boost pipework to sort once the megane pipe arrives 👍🏻

20210316_121104.jpg
20210316_133616.jpg
20210316_131854.jpg
20210316_125948.jpg
20210316_125942.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Cant wait to see this finished, driveway builds are the best builds!

The older I get the more I hate it lol

I received a miltek front pipe from @Brigsy today, looks just the ticket but it wont fit past the subframe, so I need to create 10mm of space or drop the subframe to fit it. Dropping the subframe would be nicer but i don't want to have to do that if i need to remove the exhaust..... hammer time?.....

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Ten min my ass! lol well loosening the subframe wasn't the issue, the 3 inch front pipe is simply too big to fit over the twingo subframe. Some manipulation to the pipe now has it in place but it's very very close and after swearing loads at fitting it it will probably need some more manipulation or just plain remaking. That said the car now has a full miltek 3inch (just over 2.75id bar where its been smashed lol ) downpipe and front pipe thanks to @Brigsy selling me his cast offs 👍🏻cheers buddy. I also added a support brace from the manifold to try and take some strain and help it not crack or fracture again.

20210320_094912.jpg
20210320_112023.jpg
20210320_112009.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Take one clio exhaust that kind of fits, make up a 2.5inch exhaust to replace it using plenty of scrap bits and bish bash bosh one PMT exhaust that will do for now. The back box does poke out a little too much but for something made from scrap itll do. Also @Nick Kettle came in with a meg 225 boost pipe which fits very well with my fmic, so that, bar a temperature sensor is all done. Big thanks (y) So not much else to do, front end back on and a few hangers for the exhaust and itll be ready to test drive.

Oh and it makes the right noises and the exhaust isnt overly loud (though blowing as it has no clamps on at the moment (y))

20210321_112325.jpg
20210321_192831.jpg
20210322_111423.jpg
20210322_111428.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Kind of big update, First (albeit short) drive done!

So I started the day with a quick trip to the scrap yard, I was in need of an air temp sensor, got 3 so I have some spares (y) I found a nice exhaust rubber so that was also taken along with the fuel level sensor from a Twingo. This was to replace the bodge I did a few years back. Sometimes the tank would give you decent warning of been empty and others not. What I did was plastic weld the Twingo level sensor to the Clio housing at roughly the correct height. Seems to work. 5ltrs in there shows red add 10ltrs on top and it shows a few bars (y) Next was finish off the exhaust. PMT welded the hangers in the correct place, @Flook sorted me out with a few clamps from GSF and bobs your uncle one 2,75 dp/front pipe to 2.5mid to 2.25inch backbox exhaust (y) surprisingly quiet though it sits abit low in the middle for my crappy driveway. The Front pipe also needs revisiting as its tapping the subframe. Any way with that all done I wanted to pump the tires up and add some more fuel so gave it ago. All seems good bar wheels pointing all over the shop and it drives ok considering its on a GT map so should be fine for doing some miles. The clutch release bearing is making a bit of a noise too.... but I'm happy, very happy in fact. Full engine conversion in and drivable in a shave over 2 months built from spare parts, favours and no money (y) BIG BIG thank you to all those who have given advice, spares or cheap parts from their own stash as without you I wouldn't of gotten this far. I have recorded the first drive and will upload it shortly after I figure out how to edit phone videos. I don't have a gopro so used my phone in the passenger headrest :D. Next up is putting some miles on it, fixing everything that goes wrong and then getting back to work so I can fund mapping (y)

20210323_105144.jpg

20210323_133128.jpg

20210323_125713.jpg
20210323_125711.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So I was a little bored this morning and went through my notes of cost so far......

Total outlay (still more to pay for yet) £709.23 of which there was £114 for engine collection/delivery as I couldn't leave the house. I've also sold some some bits off the Twingo along the way totalling £581

So grand total of cost so far stands at £128.23 😲🤯😂😂

Obviously there is no charge for time and labour which would be huge and if you were buying every part I have had from scrap piles the cost would be loads higher but its pretty amazing what you can do when being super frugal. Mapping needs booking and paying for and I want to do a full fluid change and service again (engine, gearbox and brakes). There's probably a few little things I've missed off but have tried to keep account of it all. Again big thanks to those who have raided parts bins and spares for me (y)

The biggest saving was winning the engine on ebay, basically everything bar the gearbox for £100 (y) if I hadn't of bagged that this would still have the little engine in it

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Good shout on a bucko post! Even a little group chat if people wanted in on it?

I was looking at engines and keeping my eye out for a twingo now because I fancy building one of these now :ROFLMAO:

@Adeyspec where are you taking it for a remap?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Mapping booked in for Sat 15th May (y) so ive got some time to road test and fix any issues with it.

Today I did the unthinkable, some thing that made me physically sick. I raised my suspension! I made it ok by tweaking the Dope a little lower though so life is still balanced lol

I kind of decided that rather than just go for the low look, with it now potentially having a decent amount of go I want it to handle a bit better too (wasn't really bad before tbh) Though the wishbone angles were high and it had too much rake. How I've gone about it as a rough starting point is to replicate the front rear difference of a Twingo rs133 cup but lower by 32mm (similar to running with H&R springs). By finding the factory measurements I was able to measure my own car at the same points and go from there. I've ended up with the rear being 9mm higher and the front about 30mm up so it retains the factory front to back difference. This should be, in my mind a very good starting point to tweak from considering the rs133 handles quite well. In the future I want to add a PMS rear arb and get it properly corner weighted. It wont look as good in my opinion but should make a huge difference to how it handles. Kind of a sensible modification/tweak. Not got any pics yet as one wheel is still off, one of the screws rounded off in the spring seat/locking collars.

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Looks ok tbh. I am at EFI 2 weeks before you for my mapping session. If you ever need anything measuring off a 133 let me know as I am more than happy to help you out if you need it.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
😭

Took it for a quick bounce around and the measured up, needed raise the front a touch more to get within the allowable for front to back difference but easily done quickly off a trolley jack. Has some gap now but should actually make it handle better 🤞🏻 its about as close as I can get it on the path and drive. If I had a decent flat floor I think I'd have a go setting it up with a string line just for something to do. Would be a nice skill to learn I think. Anyway here she is.

20210329_094531.jpg
20210329_094526.jpg
20210329_094514.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
A few people have asked me if the cruise control buttons on my meg 250 rs wheel work. Well they didn't, but now they do. Though my car isn't wired for cruise control I do intend to add it and have it working so I set about getting the wheel wired up. Fairly simple to do as I'd already bought a cruise squib so it was a case of just joining some wires and making sure it works. I also added some wiring tails to the cabin side of the squib so I could connect them up at a later date.

20210405_131654.jpg
20210405_133653.jpg
20210405_133658.jpg
20210405_134021.jpg
20210405_140352.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Managed to bag some worn out but still super cool pedals for the Twingo. They were an optional extra in back in the day and I nearly got a set in 2007 (cant remember why I didn't in the end though). Totally forgot about them until someone on FB was saying they didn't want them and wanted to replace them with some normal rubber pedals. Quick swap via post, quick scrub and now I have some. I will call Renault in the week and see if there's any availability still but not hopeful. They have that old PlayStation feel to them :D

20210409_192704.jpg
20210409_192648.jpg
20210409_183034.jpg

Also on previous advice I have whipped the injectors out and sent them off for cleaning and flow matching, should be ready within the week, hopefully ensuring each cylinder is being fed the same amount of fuel and making things run smoother when it comes to mapping.