ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adeys F4RT Twingo GT

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
im lucky in that respect, there's a plot of new builds going up next to us with the plant machinery running, all the noise i was making would be pinned on them lot :D

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member

another little vid showing it idling with the cooling system lashed on, the ecu is trying to target 650rpm idle as that's what the stock GT ecu/engine runs at when warmed up.

megane 285 sport
Dont know if the same, but the 197s had lower temp stats. Some folks used swap them out for higher temp 182 stats i think.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Brakes and clutch lines finished off, for now I was able to refit the original reservoirs with a decent amount of clearance so have done that rather than relocate everything. I think the clutch and gearbox are working but without a driveshaft in I guess it would just spin up that sides output. Could check with a camera and mirror I guess (tomorrows job)

Gearbox filled with oil, that pisses out when there's no shaft in there 🤣🤦🏻‍

Borrowed some 172 HT leads and they work fine and allow the length for the coil pack to sit where its needed.

Looked at the boost pipework, the laguna boost pipe lines up lovely with the fmic and should do the job nicely, just need to trim a little of the fan shroud to give it some space.

Piped up the brake servos vacuum, used part laguna joined to the stock GT line and clamped it to the coil bracket.

Briefly I thought I may be able to use the twingos original header tank, would be amazing though the inlet manifold touches it, I'm tempted to see If I can maybe remould it a little to suit as it would be a way neater to have it beside the rad than the Clio one on a bracket above where the battery was.

Still plenty to do but another good day of progress.

20210227_162914.jpg
20210227_163450.jpg
20210227_163438.jpg
20210227_162903.jpg
20210227_162858.jpg
20210227_162647.jpg
20210227_161936.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
It's all getting abit snug in there now. I trimmed the oem header tanks mounting points to shift it back 5mm but really it needs more. I will shave the webbing off that's close by and may try warming it up and reshaping it a little. Would be great if it works as it frees up space elsewhere. I also had a good look over the boost pipe on @Moggy's advice and found a very well hidden but big split. No big issue as if I use the oem header tank I cant fit it in as well so out with some spare pipes to rough out the boost pipe run. Will need one top pipe making but nowt major to overcome on the hot side.

Also started loose fitting the front end on to get a better idea of things. It all need to come back off when I replace the rad but it all fits quite well back there. A lot more cramped than the old 1149cc unit but not actually that bad.

I fitted the driveshaft in the other side and made sure the gearbox gave me some output. Notches into 5th which I'm not too happy about but the clutch also feels like it has some air in there so fingers crossed its not a total shitter 🤞🏻

Anyway have some more pictures, thanks for taking a look 👍🏻

20210228_141232.jpg
20210228_130750.jpg
20210228_151009.jpg
20210228_150928.jpg
20210228_150925.jpg
20210228_150600.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
I won't embarrass myself with pics of my poor welding repair on the down pipe but it's done wrapped and back on, just need a gasket so I can clamp it all up. Wrapped up there's space for me to stuff my fat fingers between it and the heat shield so hopefully its got enough clearance not to cook everything 🤞🏻 if it does we will just have to have a custom one made, or a 2.5 inch version fitting if there is such a thing?

I should have a driveshaft here tomorrow that might be the correct size needed for me to make a usable one, again fingers crossed 🤞🏻

20210302_140121.jpg
20210302_140111.jpg
20210302_140059.jpg
20210302_134204.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So here's a fun PMT fix after my driveshaft issue. Take one £13 clio mk3 dci shaft and strip it down, rebuild it with a 172 outer half shaft but dci spider and voilà one shaft thats looks pretty suitable. It needs bolting up with a 172/na/f4r support bearing as the one for the f4rt/197/bigger gearbox sits too far from the block. I do need to shave the block a touch to miss the inner cv boot and give a little clearance as that's super close. But Renault parts bin special looks to have saved me getting custom shafts made too 👍🏻😎

pics are crap.

First pic is GT shaft, dci shaft and 172 half. Second pic is the GT shaft and the hybrid.

20210304_152737.jpg
20210304_160234.jpg
20210304_170713.jpg
20210304_170717.jpg
20210304_170737.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
I love raiding the parts bin/other Renaults for bits to make things work. Quite entertaining and gives me something to focus on.

Built a few little cars up over the years doing so, I think my first was a 1.2 mk1 clio, ended up with 1.4 drivetrain but mated to a Renault 5 GT Turbo engine, Have had 3 of those. I also built a car I called Clive (the Clio engined r5) Clio 1.8 16v lump into a r5 GTT, took that one round the Nürburgring too lol :D

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Epic work! You can't beat a parts bin special, my old puma had alsorts of Ford bits on it and my Avenger zetec had a sorted Ford and BMW bits in it lol

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't get as far as I wanted today but I did hit that milestone of putting it back on all 4 wheels. Granted its got to go back in the air again but its a big moment for anyone building any car, feels like one huge step towards driving it.

I removed the driveshaft assembly and took a slitting disk to the block, Im pretty sure it's new casting vs the old 172 f4r but serves no purpose for me other than to being too close to my inner cv joint. 30 seconds with a slitting disk followed by 30 with the flap wheel and jobs a goodun 👍🏻

Shaft was built up for the final time and fitted with the 172 intermediate bearing on the block. I had to pop out for a hospital appointment so swung by the local breakers yard on the way home for 2 hub bolts, I cut one off when disassembling and lost the other 🤷🏻‍♂️ but with them that meant both hubs could be nipped up and the main hub nuts cranked up too.

Wheels back on and rolled back on the drive, I did attempt a start as I want to spin it down the road and make sure all is smooth but the battery was flat. Phone also died half way through so didn't get any pics of the space I created on the block.

Still lots to do and though I've got plenty of time I'm seriously lacking funds so I'll just have to wait. On track for some road testing hopefully in April all being well 👍🏻

Thanks for looking in

20210305_153143.jpg
20210305_163043(0).jpg
20210305_163103.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
If you have any of the bits ive already gotten hold of in this conversion pop them aside, might want to build another one soon.....

I can envision it going something like, sell it again for the 3rd time, want it back but cant get it so build another, and repeat lol

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
If you have any of the bits ive already gotten hold of in this conversion pop them aside, might want to build another one soon.....

I can envision it going something like, sell it again for the 3rd time, want it back but cant get it so build another, and repeat lol
Lol! You've not even finished the b*****d and already wanting to part ways😂😂

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Nah not yet :D, looking forward to this, was something I though about doing a long while back and its kind of fallen in my lap. This and the old Dope are a perfect combo for a serial tinkerer.

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
In fairness I have no idea, cant say I've ever seen one for sale, I know there's 2 or 3 RS converted versions about. Ill let you know if i do think of selling up though, cheeky reach around might do it? :ROFLMAO:
I know where there is a lovely mazda-3 sport that would make an ideal swap (y)

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Just while I think on. Did you ever look into a 1.6 turbo Renault /Nissan engine for fitment? Just this would be my next step the way rally classes are going.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't but dekker motorsport (on fb) has recently mapped a clio 4 1.6t engine in a clio 3. That in my mind says its certainly very possible and the engine and gearbox would be an awesome base for something super fruity

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
I was considerate, I didn't rev past 2500rpm............ luckily I do get on with nearly all of them. Well to my face no ones complained about this or the Dope which is currently staining the road :ROFLMAO:

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Not much to report as not much has been going on. I re shaped the header tank a little and took a lip off the inlet manifold to create a touch more clearance, looks like it'll be fine but if not there a dacia/meg header tank that might be usable. The turbo to downpipe gasket turned up so that's now fitted. Next week all being well I should have a new radiator, some more boost pipes and some more of the exhaust to work with. @Brigsy is sorting me with a front pipe from his hoard of parts and @jezer101 had an clio exhaust for sale. Its not ideal at 2.25inch I'd but I'll only be using the back box and running 2.75 up to but it fits nice and the tip reminds me of the old GTT exhausts from back in the day. That said I don't really think it will cause a restriction in this setup.

20210310_112012.jpg
20210310_111256.jpg
20210309_102725.jpg
20210310_114048.jpg
20210310_113927.jpg