ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice needed, new rear wheel bearing failure?

Fabia VRS & Yeti
I've recently had new Renault oe rear discs and pads fitted by a local Formula 1 autocentre which I have had no issuse with. The last two days I have noticed a whirring noise that raises and lowers with road speed although I have to switch the ignition off and coast to clearly hear due to my exaust system.
I had the discs/pads/new hub nuts fitted less than six weeks ago so around a thousand miles for me. I got the parts from a friend in the parts trade and the garage agreed to fit them for 50 quid.
Is there anything the garage may have done whilst fitting them that could cause a failure? I cant tell for sure if it is the front or back bearing, just that its pasenger side, as the noise isn't that bad yet but there all the same, it just seems a coincidence that I have had new rear discs fitted recently and the noise was not present before.
Has anyone had new rear oe bearings fail before?
I just want to get my facts straight before I complain to anyone as I don't intend on forking out for new rear disc/pads/hub nuts labour etc. Again!!!
Help/advice would be muchos appreciated!

Lionel Richie
you can f**k the bearings putting them onto the stub if you're a mupet, you'd really have to be stupid to manage that though!

i've have had problems with them, but i only offer warranty on them if i fit them, so not on mail order

you should have 12months parts warranty with renault, but that doesn't cover brakes normally, at the end of the day its only a bearing, not going to cost more than £50 to sort on the rear, annoying though

Westy. MX5
They probably got the spacer at the back of the stub axle the wrong way round or a lack of grease in the bearing.

Fabia VRS & Yeti
I thought that getting bearings pressed in was not good? Thats why the oe rear discs are favoured?
I suppose I'm going to just have to go down there and see what they have to say about it, they've been pretty decent in the past, not charging for stuff they couldn't fix on my gf's 1.4.

Golf GTD Mk7
Strange. They definately fitted ones with bearing yes? Nothing wrong with pressing bearings into discs no, how else would they get in there ;) If the spacer wasn't fitted/fitted wrong you would have heard the ABS ring catching.

Fabia VRS & Yeti
These are oe disks with the bearing pre pressed.
I have spoken to RUK and the 12month warranty is valid on these, but I need to find a Renault garage willing to undertake the work under warranty which may be a PITA as they haven't fitted them...

Fabia VRS & Yeti
I have spoken to my local dealer, Ware garage, who have offered to undertake the warranty work. I've offered to take it to them for 3pm on weds but they said I would have to leave it with them as they need to investigate the problem and diagnose it. It's less than an hour job to change rear discs and pads so I'm not sure of the reasoning behind this but will leave them to it. If it is not a a manufacturing defect I will be liable for parts and labour but the bearing is obviously not right, it drowns out a decatted Milltek system at low rpms ffs!

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Got the car back today as I've been out of the country.
A family member had to get the car out of the Renault garage (Ware) and take it back to the Formula 1 garage as they had not fitted the spacer and not correctly torqued up the rear hub.
All corrected (f.o.c) for now but I'll be running without the parcel shelf for a while and keeping an ear out for any noise!
I am still not happy though as while it was in the Renault garage the 2.0 bullets and one of my oz centre caps went missing :mad: