ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on polishing technique and timing??!

Mini Cooper
Ive decided on the products now, clay followed by AG SRP then EGP!! Im now after advice on the best way of applying them!?? What should I use to apply them?? Does it matter if I use circular motion or str8 lines when apllying?? How long do I leave it on for?? Do I do one panel at a time, apply then remove, then move to next panel?? Do I buff it off it any way, circular motion, etc?? Cheers

For best reflectivity I use the following technique when applying:

Top surfaces (roof, bonnet) front to back motion

Side surfaces (everything else) up down motion. Most people use circular motions but I find this can induce swirls into the paint if any small grit particles get between the paint and applicator pad

E90
I think that was a valid point, you say you do it up and down in a vertical motion, much like the action of w.anking which must feel most comfortuble with your good self, to avoid swirls with grit, but surely if you have grit, it will still scratch in the motion you describe??

106 GTi
SRP - I use circular motions. Panel at a time apply with a foam pad - work it till it is all gone and wipe with a microfiber towel.

EGP - Apply as thin (thinner the better, anything you remove is just waste product) as you can get it in straight lines - again with a foam hand pad, apply to the whole car, allow to cure on for 30 - 60 mins then remove with a microfiber cloth

Mito Sportiva 135
I think that was a valid point, you say you do it up and down in a vertical motion, much like the action of w.anking which must feel most comfortuble with your good self, to avoid swirls with grit, but surely if you have grit, it will still scratch in the motion you describe??

Weeman...someone said you had died. Good to hear from you. Mock away! We are all pretty sad on here, I would be the first to admit!!;)

well swirls are much more noticable than vertical marks, making my technique much safer in my opinion. :approve:

Its also important to measure paint thickness before polishing using a probe then downloading the data onto computer for analysis, so that decisions about polishing can be made

106 GTi
well swirls are much more noticable than vertical marks, making my technique much safer in my opinion. :approve:

Its also important to measure paint thickness before polishing using a probe then downloading the data onto computer for analysis, so that decisions about polishing can be made

Of course as SRP is so abbrassive ;)

Trying to polish to remove marks is so awkward in straight lines.

E90

Weeman...someone said you had died. Good to hear from you. Mock away! We are all pretty sad on here, I would be the first to admit!!;)

LOL Popular myth that i'd died but i'm alive and kicking, I wasn't mocking on this occasion, well maybe lusty, but if that boy had a picnic it would be missing a cheese and pickle and a ham salad.

Of course as SRP is so abbrassive ;)

Trying to polish to remove marks is so awkward in straight lines.

that last comment I made was a joke for weeman. lol

I dont really polish to remove marks which I why I dont use the circular motion technique as much. If I get a scratch then circular motions are used but for general application (wipe on wipe off) i use straight

106 GTi
If I polish I use the PC, I am so lazy!

Selaants and Waxes straight lines though. It does not really matter it is more down to what action you feel most comfortable with.

Mito Sportiva 135
A guy on the Evo (car not mag) forum is advertising PCs with a full set of pads and transformer for £199 delivered... pretty good deal no?

Mini Cooper
great, cheers for the advice!!think il go with you rich, after seeing your finished article on your 182!!so circular motion panel at a time with the SRP til its almost gone, then microfibre of in circular motionwith EGP, up and down in straight lines, leave for 30 mins, then buff off with microfibre

106 GTi
The buffing stages just wipe off however.

The longer you leave the EGP the easier it comes off.

106 GTi
Does not matter - though I am sure lusty will tell you 25 degree angled removal strokes are best for ultimate bling and reflectivity ;)