ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice please! 182 rear brake squeals!

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Hi all, just wanted some advice or opinions please; my car (04 reg 182 with cup packs) is going in to the dreaded local dealers in a bid to resolve the problem of squealing rear brakes that are binding? hanging on? wotever.Has been doing this since I got the car but only been making noise last two months, made more obvious driving with windows down!
Basically my own opinion from my very limited knowledge is that either the handbrake needs adjusting (car doesnt roll on slight slopes) or that the calipers have seized and wont release fully. Either way I see this as a warranty issue and as long as discs and pads are ok(pads are fine) I shouldnt have to pay a bean coz the warranty is labour inclusive (?). thanks.:S

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Maybe handbrake cable, but 80% of the time it wont be, buy some reconditioned calipers and trade yours in or overhaul the ones on their now and save yourself a few grand from reno. Your lucky not to have cracked your disks already....

Edit: also check the rubber gaitor is covering the piston, sometimes they fall off and cause the piston to seize..

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Your still under warranty , take it in to the dealership . Don't bother messing about with reconditioned calipers , whats the point of shelling out good money on a car so new that " should " be fixed for free . If they try and charge you , or your not happy phone Renault UK .

Tel . 08000 723372

Keep us posted on the outcome .

Last edited:
  Fabia VRS & Yeti
Thanks for the advice. I took it in to renault enfied, they had it for the day, I was told by the service manager that they had to order in some parts to do with the rear calipers because something needed replacing. Later on they phoned to say it was ready so I went to get it, the lady on the service desk told me that they topped up the oil because the warning light was on (it wasn't), they had changed the front shocks (they hadn't) and that they had rectified the squealing noise by replacing some parts which had corroded (still sounds the same) hmmm.All under warranty. I asked for a copy of the report which I'm waiting on before I do anything else, maybe she got the cars mixed up? The cars got to go in for 2yr service before june 30th so whoever does that will have to sort the rear brakes! :mad:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
ben81 said:
Thanks for the advice. I took it in to renault enfied, they had it for the day, I was told by the service manager that they had to order in some parts to do with the rear calipers because something needed replacing. Later on they phoned to say it was ready so I went to get it, the lady on the service desk told me that they topped up the oil because the warning light was on (it wasn't), they had changed the front shocks (they hadn't) and that they had rectified the squealing noise by replacing some parts which had corroded (still sounds the same) hmmm.All under warranty. I asked for a copy of the report which I'm waiting on before I do anything else, maybe she got the cars mixed up? The cars got to go in for 2yr service before june 30th so whoever does that will have to sort the rear brakes! :mad:

Sounds like they have either got your car and another mixed up , lol . Or they are out and out liars . To be honest , if the caliper had a problem they would replace the whole unit , not " some parts " , there's only a few things that are really changeable on a caliper without it being sent away to be refurbed , i.e. dust seals , internal seals and i very much doubt that they would be ordered and arrive the same day tobe fitted .

Wait for the report of the work carried out , then either phone Renault UK and tell them what has happened , or contact enfield and tell them your not happy with the report , the so called jobs done or take it to another Renault garage , get them to check the brakes and ask them to check the front shocks , ask them if they look old or new .
Keep us informed , sounds like it could be interesting ;)

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Thanks again for the info and advice, still waiting for the report although renault enf. called me earlier and I was out so I'll ring them tomorrow and see what they say...

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Thanks again. Renault enf rang me this evening about half seven but I was out so I'll see what they want tomorrow....

Fabia VRS & Yeti
The phone call was just a courtesy call to see how my service went.... I was told they were making a note that I'm waiting for the mechanics report, which I still am....:mad:

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Finally had the chance to get the back wheels off (which is more than renault enfield did) and had a fiddle and I think the pistons have seized because the rear pads are v. low now especially the inside pads. Going to phone renault uk tommorrow because it is now obvious that renault enfield didn't do f all!:mad:

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Taking the car to Darlingtons in theydon bois Essex next wed for 2yr/24k service and brake probs. They seem to be a bit more clued up over the phone but we shall see.