ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

After 6 years... Time to sell?

Cup 172
I stand at a cross roads.

After 6 years and 50k miles, it may well be time to get rid of my 172 Cup. Weve had highs (some memorable drives) and some lows (a field in the lakes comes to mind) and she has been great. She's been loved and pampered, but having just returned from a service she needs front tyres, discs and pads all round, the backbox is about to drop off again and the gearbox is about to die (whining bearings and worn syncronmesh).

Do I put 2k into a car that only worth 3k (if Im lucky) or chop it in, get 2k for it and move onto something else (Im thinking Twingo 133).

Id love to keep her, but Im worried that Ill put 2k in and after all that, it will continue to cost money...Maybe its gone past the point of hassle free ownership?

Thoughts?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I'm in the same boat. Had my 172 for 5 years now, and done 84,000 miles in that time, the car currently stands on just under 129,000 miles! Still on the original clutch, gearbox, and still running well (fingers crossed)

In standard form it's worthless. TBH though if the gearbox was on it's way out I'd more then likely get rid now.... I also fancy something else now, new FRS of something similar.

Skoda fabia Vrs
Twingo 133 is a great little car m8 but wont be as fast as the cup!

I've had mine a year and its been great fun to drive! Cant afford a 200 now and at the time a 197 was 2 much in insurance (20) so its good to get into the renaultsport world at a early age though:approve:!

Bought my 133 brand new (Pic)

09102010077.jpg

Skoda fabia Vrs
I think the RS twingo looks great.

However I wasn't that impressed with the one I test drove. And would never choose one over a 172/82.

The only reason i choose one over a 172/182 is that the twingo is 5-6 years newer than the newest 182.

I didn't really want a 2nd hand car. What let you down on the test drive mate?

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
i drove a friends twingo cup, really slow, but handled really well.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
The only reason i choose one over a 172/182 is that the twingo is 5-6 years newer than the newest 182.

I didn't really want a 2nd hand car. What let you down on the test drive mate?

TBH I was expecting more poke from a light car with a 1.6 engine, and a 131bhp.. great handling and good fun mind.

The car in question...

3867631519_59f2488c52_z.jpg

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
would people still go with a renault after so long, think id be more inclined to go somwere else ? i can only see myself going for a ford rs of some description aafter the clio.

Cup 172
I know the Twingo is slower, but Ive got a bike so I can get my speed fix there... I only do 5k a year so would be hard to justify haviong a 200 sitting there....

Its already had new springs and shocks this year and my worry is that its now at a point where things are just going to keep going wrong...

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I wouldnt buy a twingo B*tch to sell on-

Looking at what sort of mileage you do & how often you drive it- if you have the disposable income it would be either an R27- pref LY or a 197 cup with recaros / AC + speedlines

both great cars-

S

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Have you paid to have the belts changed yet? If you have I would be really tempted to keep the cup. Say the box plus fitting sets you back £600 (majority labour) good discs and pads £250-300, a stainless steel BTB stealth will be £375 and two very good tyres at £80-100 each

If my calculations are right thats about £1500 and will give you a good few years of trouble free motoring. You will have paid for the 'common' things you have to pay for. Suspension, belts and box. Brakes will be covered for atleast 20-25k depending how you use them, tyres around the same given you dont drive it like a hooligan. The only other things I can imagine failing are the bushes and engine mounts

Cup 172
Have you paid to have the belts changed yet? If you have I would be really tempted to keep the cup. Say the box plus fitting sets you back £600 (majority labour) good discs and pads £250-300, a stainless steel BTB stealth will be £375 and two very good tyres at £80-100 each

If my calculations are right thats about £1500 and will give you a good few years of trouble free motoring. You will have paid for the 'common' things you have to pay for. Suspension, belts and box. Brakes will be covered for atleast 20-25k depending how you use them, tyres around the same given you dont drive it like a hooligan. The only other things I can imagine failing are the bushes and engine mounts

£600 for the box? Any ideas where? Spoke to Fred and he reckons about 1k for the box + clutch. Bearings need doing + the synconmesh is failing on 4th and 5th, so it will probably be a full refurb...

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
£600 for the box? Any ideas where? Spoke to Fred and he reckons about 1k for the box + clutch. Bearings need doing + the synconmesh is failing on 4th and 5th, so it will probably be a full refurb...
Ah surely it would just be easier to buy another box on here wouldnt it? I was just guessing as to the labour charges really as its a subframe out job

Golf GTD Mk7
fcuk that. £600 for a box is rediculous. you wouldn't end up paying 2k for the work you're on about mate. Brakes are easy to fit, not that expensive if you get OE ones. Say £200 for all round roughly. As said, BTB is cheap and the quality is great. GB you could get a second hand one for £250, then just getting someone to fit it for you. Say 2 hours labour. 1K max for all this for me really.

Westy. MX5
I stand at a cross roads.

After 6 years and 50k miles, it may well be time to get rid of my 172 Cup. Weve had highs (some memorable drives) and some lows (a field in the lakes comes to mind) and she has been great. She's been loved and pampered, but having just returned from a service she needs front tyres, discs and pads all round, the backbox is about to drop off again and the gearbox is about to die (whining bearings and worn syncronmesh).

Do I put 2k into a car that only worth 3k (if Im lucky) or chop it in, get 2k for it and move onto something else (Im thinking Twingo 133).

Id love to keep her, but Im worried that Ill put 2k in and after all that, it will continue to cost money...Maybe its gone past the point of hassle free ownership?

Thoughts?
Your Cup in it's present state will be worth next to nothing if you P/X it. Just go and buy a new car and think of the Cup as a 2nd. car project. Fix it diy and track it.

Cup 172
I wouldnt have a second hand gearbox. Given how weak they are, I could spend the money and it could go pop. Given that mins only on 50k and Im not a hard driver, Id want a new one (way too expensive), or a recon.

Best price Ive had for a recon is 780 (including VAT and labour). May as well chuck a new clutch in as well (say £100)

So...

880 + 250 discs and pads (Ill fit myself), 200 for tyres, 350 for exhaust is 1680.... Thats a lot to spend with no guarantee it will continue to be reliable.

Cambelt was done in January this year, aux belt is good until January 2012. Always run on Optimax and Pro S.

Would I sell how it is? Depends on how much youd give... If I chopped it in Id get about 2k in its current state (theres no way the monkeys at my local dealer would notice the transmission problems or the brakes)

Clio 172 Phase II
thats twice that Ive seen on this forum the fact that people would be happy in selling on their car knowing that it's a bit fcuked and not tell or worry about it. Is that par for the course these days?

172 Clio Cup
Its already had new springs and shocks this year and my worry is that its now at a point where things are just going to keep going wrong...

Out of interest - how much was the above?

Past 2 years I have spent £1800 on mine. Cam & Aux belts, Service, 2x MOTs, Discs and Pads all round and Ktech exhaust.

I love my car but I feel your pain, they cost a few quid to keep running. (my mileage is 32k / Oct 2003 reg)

Cheers

Cup 172
thats twice that Ive seen on this forum the fact that people would be happy in selling on their car knowing that it's a bit fcuked and not tell or worry about it. Is that par for the course these days?

You're right. I should definately detail all known faults to my local dealer. After all, Im sure that when I buy my next car the seller will be completely honest. Wont he? In fact Ill take him at his word. No inspection or test drive needed...

TBH I wouldnt sell the car privately or particularly on here without telling them everything I know but to my local dealer? No chance. Its up to them to check it.

Cup 172
Out of interest - how much was the above?

Past 2 years I have spent £1800 on mine. Cam & Aux belts, Service, 2x MOTs, Discs and Pads all round and Ktech exhaust.

I love my car but I feel your pain, they cost a few quid to keep running. (my mileage is 32k / Oct 2003 reg)

Cheers

The shocks were from Ktech. renault originals for just over 100 notes. Dead easy to do, dont even need to take the wheels off. Springs were second hand for about 50 quid.

Evo 8 MR
This thread provides lols, I've spent about 3 grand on my cup in 6 months of ownership but theres no chance I'm even considering selling the old girl.

My opinion, man the f**k up and fix what needs to be fixed and enjoy.

If you really want a new car then get a new car ffs, this discussion is utterly pointless.

Clio 172 Phase II
You're right. I should definately detail all known faults to my local dealer. After all, Im sure that when I buy my next car the seller will be completely honest. Wont he? In fact Ill take him at his word. No inspection or test drive needed...

TBH I wouldnt sell the car privately or particularly on here without telling them everything I know but to my local dealer? No chance. Its up to them to check it.[/QUOTE

Yes, fair point.

ITB BG 182
quite a few people im seeing with the 172/182 cars looking to sell.
Im currently looking at the Golf GTtdi ranges although the polo BM's look good with a mpg rate of 91.9 on motorway runs.

Its just a hard decision to get rid of some thing that has been so much fun for me in the past 5 years.

260% JCW
This thread provides lols, I've spent about 3 grand on my cup in 6 months of ownership but theres no chance I'm even considering selling the old girl.

My opinion, man the f**k up and fix what needs to be fixed and enjoy.

If you really want a new car then get a new car ffs, this discussion is utterly pointless.

This, Your cars worth c**k all as a part ex.

260% JCW

This is utter tosh too, Your stood in a stealership trying to get top dollar for your car when you trade it in for something else, and then you decide to wheel off a list of faults, snags and general problems with the car. At which point the dealer will admire your honesty (think your an idiot) and then give you even less.

Fair enough when you sell the car privately you should list any faults or probs and reflect that in the price, but the world is'nt such a nice place. Whilst looking for my RS Clio i looked at 5 or so private sales, thought id HPI check to make sure. Glad i did, 3 were Insurance write offs and 1 had finance still outstanding, each one the owner swore that there was nothing wrong with the car. Trust no one.

Clio 172 Phase II
This is utter tosh too, Your stood in a stealership trying to get top dollar for your car when you trade it in for something else, and then you decide to wheel off a list of faults, snags and general problems with the car. At which point the dealer will admire your honesty (think your an idiot) and then give you even less.

Fair enough when you sell the car privately you should list any faults or probs and reflect that in the price, but the world is'nt such a nice place. Whilst looking for my RS Clio i looked at 5 or so private sales, thought id HPI check to make sure. Glad i did, 3 were Insurance write offs and 1 had finance still outstanding, each one the owner swore that there was nothing wrong with the car. Trust no one.

yes, I know. It's just a shame that's all. Maybe I'm just too idealistic.