ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alcahol / water mist induction cooling

Clio Williams2

I was speaking to someone about running cool air to my cone filter and he was saying that you can get a thing that squirts a mist of meths / water onto the induction cone which cools the air but also conserves your engine by preventing carbon deposits and preventing pre-combustion, although i dont know that i would have pre combustion in a non-turbo car. Ive found a company called aquamist that have a thing that squirts water into the pipe between filter and air intake, no mention of meths though.

Theres a system in the latest revs magazine, connects to the vacuum hose and draws meths into the manifold...

Quite interested myself, I always thought that water mist systems were specific to tubocharged cars though.

The meths cools the air as it goes in and helps give a clean burn, but for what looks like a plastic bottle and a few tubes there asking £300.

BMW 320d Sport

You wanna read a book called Forced Induction Performance Tuning, its full of stuff about fuel mixtures, octane, detonation, water injection etc.

350z & 16v Maxi

The only way Ive heard of this is spraying water onto the intercooler on a turbo, it gives about 10bhp extra supposable. The skyline in 2F2F has it!!!

you wont get any benefit from water injection on a NA car.....its pointless.

and carbon buildup, youd be oh so lucky to get anymore than 5-10 thou in buildup, it just burns off.

Water inj is just for turbos really to stop detonation allowing higher boost levels to be run thus generating more power and not blowing up!!!!

(Mines on the way)

Clio Williams2

Id noticed that all the water inj Id read about refered to forced induction but I just thought a colder air supply would mean denser air supply and higher compression. Im wondering if when Im driving at low speed the induction cone is just sucking in warm air from my engine bay which seems to get pretty hot.

What do you reckon to running an induction pipe from the spce next to the fog lamp for some cool air? (the guy that mentioned meths reckoned this would just get full of muck)

I also read somewhere that the race clios used to use the original filter housing to shield from engine heat and force in air with induction pipes running to the fog lamp holes.

Clio Williams2

Might get that revs just need to find out how the jet is powered/controlled, might just be able to get some bits from Maplin or RS catalogue and bodge something cheap :)

Nissan R35 GT-R

As we all know, turbochargers heat the air as they compress it. By injecting a mist of water into the intake this heat can be reduced. The heat causes the mist to evaporate, which in turn lowers the heat (heat transfer).

On a normally aspirated car the air is not hot enough to evaporate the mist, so the fuel mist mixes with the water mist and the flame does not spread as rapidly as it could do.

This is not to be confused with the intercooler sprays that can be found on such cars as the Evos and Imprezas. This system is a little different.

Clio Williams2

OK so cool but not moist is the way to go.

Meths tho is a fuel in its self so shouldnt cause much problem with restricting ignition I wouldve thought? the water is also supposed to conduct heat better than air and so makes the combustion more even, whatever difference that might make..

The meths injection system litterally just allows a small amount into the manifold via the vaccuum hose its not controlled by anything other than the engines vacuum. Looks extremely simple for £300 but the i wouldnt fany buggering around with my vac hoses and meths under the bonnet in any kind of homemade set up.

It works on normal aspiration engines.

Well, if we want to get into detail yes it does work on all engines, but the benefits are minimal.

You can use water to cool the charge, simple. This has the benefit of knock resistence (which you really shouldnt be getting in a non boost applcation, if you are your running too hot and too advanced. Anyway, the water will cool and help you control burn. You can gain economy as you can run a leaner ratio instead of the cooling provided by the richer mix. it can save you if you are on teh brink of detonation or pre ig etc etc etc.

If your a real smartarse you can bring the ratio down to stoich.

It also has an intangiable benefit of cleaning. But it takes time, and just make sure no rust forms or say bye bye. lol

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

the easiest option by far, and pretty much garunteed to work, unlike the water spray. Dont know about the Viper but the BMC is worth every penny.

Clio Williams2

Sounds good, It was someone on this forum somewhere who mentioned the BMC being good. not all that cheap though.

2012 WRX Waggon

The BCM listed for the Clio RS2000 - I take it that will fit my 03 172????

plus the BCMs seem cheaper than the Viper

Clio Williams2

LOL RS2000. Gonna be ages before I save up, last engine mount i changed was on a mini, im sure i only paid about a tenna for it fitted. So I thought I mayaswell get it done at renault - costs £130 for the front mount!!! think i might look elsewhere.