ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

allu bonnet? how do i tell

LY R27
i bought a ph1 172 from an owner that knew nothing
but the bonnet feels reely light

how would i tell if it was alluminium? (sp.)

thanks
Ryan

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Put a magnet on it. If it doesn't stick, its ali.

But if its lightweight, its 99% an ali one. They're stupid light.

LY R27
on my old clio i had a carbon one and this 172 one feels pretty light too! soo im guessing!
il have a look tomorrow

Twingo 133 Cup
You'll know straight away by lifting it... The alu is VERY light compared to standard.

Suzuki Ignis
I had one on mine without realising it, unless Jesus pointed it out and I tried lifting his. Massive difference!

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
the ally one is ridiculously light, oh and if you're unsure just don't be a muppet and close it thumbs down you'll dent it. Let it drop

I think that my Clio III bonnet is Al because the only place I can stick the magnet from my Fluke 289 is on the bonnet catch for closing it. The rest does not stick the magnet. Was a pain in the ass when I had done some logging to the alternator output to find a suitable spot for it. If its not Al is probably some lightweight alloy.

Ph 1 172
the second you lift it you will be able to tell, if i remember rightly the ally bonnets are nearly as light if not lighter than the carbon fiber ones (i know the one on my phase 1 feels like paper when lifting it). there was a thread ages ago that a bloke had weighed the 2.