ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alpine H/U Help.

Mercedes SLK350
I have an Alpine CDA 9835R, it is wired taking a direct feed from the battery and also uses a separate earth.

I am running Infinty 5.25" speakers front and rear.

My problem is the sound volume keeps dropping, then rising back to the set level, is this an amp problem?

I do not overdrive the speakers, I use a volume setting of 10 maximum.

Any suggestions please comment.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
When you say the volume is dropping, by how much and is this a sudden drop. ?

Mercedes SLK350
There is a noticeable quietening, cant really say how much the volume drops, but you would notice it. It is sudden aswell.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Thats strange, If its simply loosing output and there is no obvious signs of distortion, it could be the output stage of your H/U shutting down.
If it were me, I would pull it out of the car and run it on the bench to see if the fault occurs. If so...off to the repairers, if not...start checking the speaker wiring for a short or extremely high resistance.

Mercedes SLK350
Thats strange, If its simply loosing output and there is no obvious signs of distortion, it could be the output stage of your H/U shutting down.
If it were me, I would pull it out of the car and run it on the bench to see if the fault occurs. If so...off to the repairers, if not...start checking the speaker wiring for a short or extremely high resistance.

I will most likely take the Alpine out, and replace it with the standard 182 h/u, see what happens then.

Clio 172 Exclusive
What music are you playing is it really bass heavy? Because if you feed to much bass to a full range speaker it cant handle it and will go quiet until the music goes to a less bass heavy piece and it will become louder again.
Flatto

Mercedes SLK350
What music are you playing is it really bass heavy? Because if you feed to much bass to a full range speaker it cant handle it and will go quiet until the music goes to a less bass heavy piece and it will become louder again.
Flatto

I'm not into heavy bass music, I'm too old, as stated previously I don't have music blasting out of my stereo.

My problem has arisen fairly recently.

I have now swapped over the head units, if the problem persists, then I will conclude the speakers are duff.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Clio 172 Exclusive
Sorry to state the obvious but have you checked all the connections at the back of the head unit and the amp.
The other thing to check is to isolate the speakers using the fader and balance on the head unit you may be able to work out if its a single speaker or a channel on the amp. The only other thing I can think of is how have you earthed the amp if the connection is loose it can cause a drop in performance ie good connection=loud poor connection=quiet and as the car as the car is constantly vibrating when moving it can go from good to poor and back
Flatto

Mercedes SLK350
The Alpine h/u is earthed at the bulkhead, there is a bolt earthing something there already. Power feed is taken directly from the battery. Now that I have swapped the h/u these two wires are bypassed.

The only amp is the one in the h/u.

Like you say Flatto, I'm going to have to try to eliminate certain elements to determine the problem, trial and error really.