ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Android Best Apps Thread

clio
aDyno - a fun dyno for the car, loads of features (no idea how accurate!)

battlesea - battleships game

fotmob - live score updates for every league you can think of...

londoncity - tube map and route planner

and loads of other stuff that i forget is there and never use!

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Apps on mine.
3G Watchdog - Amazing for keeping track of data usage.

Artfulbits aiMinesweeper - Great fun game.

Astro File Manager.

Barcode Scanner - ZYing team

Battery Indicator - Stays up in the top bar with a number. Mint.

Boobs! Butts! Babes! - Amazing pics :p

Compass

Google Sky Map

Layar

Mileage - Keeps track of my cars milage/fill ups.

Steel - THE BEST web browser i mean it.

Trap! - Fun wee game where you split the screen up to trap balls in the boxes.

WiFi Analyser - Shows me ranges, channels etc, encryption.

WiFinder - Similar, use both to check each other.

182FF with cup packs
No. Nexus One is the new Google handset which runs Android 2.0, though it's made by HTC, it is different hardware to the HTC Hero (Nexus has 1Ghz processor, Hero is 528Mhz).

But you could basically look at it as the HTC Hero 2 or something like that ;)

Ajh, I see what you were getting at. My work proxy cropped the picture :dapprove:

The nexus one is similar to that, you get a whole weeks forcast though and it's a little smaller

genie-widget-1.jpg

genie-widget-2.jpg

That's the full screen images though, can't fined a screenshot of just the widget though.

No. Nexus One is the new Google handset which runs Android 2.0, though it's made by HTC, it is different hardware to the HTC Hero (Nexus has 1Ghz processor, Hero is 528Mhz).

But you could basically look at it as the HTC Hero 2 or something like that ;)

My hero is running 2.1 :p apparently the official update is out in march. I got the nexus rom on my hero but tweaked a bit so theres no lag

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)
Just got a Hero, what sites are you guys using for info on updating/unlocking/ROM's etc. Anyone got a good starter thread for Android customisation?

Cheers,
Paul

koi

Audi S1
Finally got my hands on my Hero, managed to get the Orange crap off it and using my o2 sim :D

There's so many apps in the app store, is there an easy way to search through it?

Totally hooked on Robo Defense just now!!

182FF with cup packs
Sensorly - This is a wireless coverage map application. It's pretty cool, has downloadable maps for most providers. It gets your position via GPS, then has a search for open WiFi connections and GSM towers, records the strenght etc, then uploads it to their servers. Their servers process it all and the app downloads these overlays back and it gives you nice coverage maps for the provider you choose. http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/05/sensorly-aims-to-keep-coverage-maps-honest/

If you leave it running in the background though it chews the crap out off your battery life as it's always searching for wireless signals and uploading/downloading data and running the GPS. Nice for knowing if you'll get coverage somewhere you are going though.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Any recommend apps for taking screenshots on the phone not remotely..

White Sti Hatch
whats the latest modaco firmware release ??

havent looked as last one i used slowed my phone down to hell !!

Golf GTi Mk2
Any idea when Android 2.1 is coming to hero, thought it was supposed to be last month, seems like the internets best kept secret.

never tbh lol! keeps getting pushed back. nprussel is updating the villainrom this weekend and that is a american port of 2.1 (off the sprint hero) so that is pretty much as close to real 2.1 as it gets

Audi TT
are you guys all paying for copilot? I get orange maps free and that seems ok. I know google maps will do route planning but it's not turn by turn.

BMW 330ci Clubsport
are you guys all paying for copilot? I get orange maps free and that seems ok. I know google maps will do route planning but it's not turn by turn.
Turn-by-turn is supported by 2.0 isnt it?

I have been using MeeboIM recently. Works great for MSN and Facebook chat as you can be logged into both in the see all the contacts in the same window

Audi TT
no idea how to turn it on if it is?!? can do street view but can't work out how to move down the road like on a PC

BMW 330ci Clubsport
Press on the arrows? Unless you mean your location move as you move

If you just mean manually guarding the camera through the street that yeah, you can, I'm doing it on my G1 now. You might need to update Google Maps from the market

Audi TT
what about the turn by turn? you got that working? I just get an overview map and the blue arrow is where I am to follow the route

Mines just arrived. Beeb on order for nearly two weeks.

It's great but I remember why I got rid of my last touch screen. I'm typing on it now. It's there a better keyboard app? Not to keen on either normal or the mini..

Audi TT
The qwerty keyboard gets much much better with use. I've come from a blackberry so that was my main concern. I'm not pretty quick on the qwerty and I've had a play with the old style phone keypad as well because I used to be rapid on my old nokia's using predictive and sure enough it's well easy to use on the Desire. I'm sticking with the qwerty though. The compact qwerty is just plain gash.

I got the turn by turn directions working today. When I searched for direction before I was hitting the "view on map" button not the "navigate" one. Job done and it's pretty impressive. Going to download the text to speech for the voice instructions. I had a look at the navigation whilst using the satellite layer and it does look very, very impressive though I'm sure it must be rinsing the bandwidth to achieve it!

So far I'm loving Throttlecopter and the Abduction game, oh and the Trap game as well is pretty good albeit quite tough.

Mini Cooper S sport
I love pinball!

I'm slowly getting to grips with the qwerty keyboard, never had one before.

Took me a while to decide if I like the Xperia X10, but I do.

182FF with cup packs
I'm trialing a nice little app at the moment.

Wave Secure (www.wavesecure.com)

It runs in the background of your phone and 99% of the time sits there doing nothing, until you lose your phone or it's stolen.

Then you log onto the web portal and then you can do the following:

1) Remotely lock your phone so it cannot be used
2) Backup your contacts and SMS's
3) Get it to send you its current location :cool:
4) Wipe all your user data off it.

If someone replaces your sim card, it locks automatically, and displays a message of your choice (for instance telling them to phone your landline and return it).

It also can autobackup your data once a day when you plug it in to charge.

It's $20 a year for the service, but that's peanuts for the ability to track down your phone.

It actually comes as two apps. First is wavesecure itself then it comes with a watchdog process. If the watchdog is uninstalled it autolocks the phone, if the watchdog sees the Wavsecure app uninstalled, it autolocks the phone.