ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Kangoo 172 build

Kangoo
Hi All

So i Have taken the plunge and started to build a 172 Kangoo,

This originally came from driving around treating my current car more as a van than a car and a van probably being more useful to me day to day....started looking at vw caddy's and similar couldn't believe how little my budget would actually stretch too with vans in general (200k mile snotters was very much the theme) went to players classic a couple of months ago and saw a little white kangoo...seems odd to be here...looked under the bonnet, started chuckling to myself this is the solution to my problem, got home straight on google looking for info on the said conversion, ended up looking at some of the build threads here, the hunt for suitable donors started....

a few weeks later found and bought this, bit of an oddball in that its a 1.6 petrol auto, but most importantly had A/C and as a bonus the plastic flap in the roof for carrying longer things (or rudimentary aero device)

348EA15D-CC50-45F0-9D28-1DFC275C7B0B.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

Also a non runner due to an immobiliser fault, overall no rot but in need of a bit of bodywork on the drivers side but nothing major.

The hunt then turned to a clio, a couple of weeks later picked this up
IMG_2676.jpg

drove it home, what a thing! a mate had a 182 trophy a few years back, and another mate had a ff, i don't remember them being this fun though! this one has some trick bits (coilers, sports cat and exhaust) which will come in handy, the car itself is unfortunately good and rotten
b452c304-f4f0-4931-b4be-19fc87ac4454.jpg

when two become one and all that jazz

started on monday stripping the kangoo out first,
IMG_2685.jpg

face off
IMG_2686.jpg

Dash out
IMG_2691.jpg

guts out
6444D6C9-5ED8-42E4-AF1B-857F2080B413.jpg

Took the opportunity to valet the engine bay whilst it was empty
IMG_2698.jpg

The van back in situe, have since removed the medal box and exhaust, this is progress up until now, next up to break the clio, i presume i am using all the bits that would be of use to anyone on here but if anyone spies any bits that might be of use to them let me know!

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
You can probably sell the wings, bumpers and side skirts off the clio quite easily.

Good luck. A mate of mine done the conversion a few years back using my old clio as the donor. They are a surprisingly easy conversion, the elective are the biggest problem but not that difficult.

You have one less issue with the petrol tank being ready to go vs a diesel van. Although I’m not sure how much of a direct swap the clio pedals are.

Kangoo
Thanks, yes hoping having a petrol van means a couple less jobs! I believe the pedal box moves across, but only from what I have read on here previously, we shall see!

Anyway I actually had a weekend off for once so no progress over the weekend, managed to make a start stripping the clio on friday though

IMG_2704[1].JPG

On the hillbilly car lift
IMG_2705[1].JPG

With its face removed and drained of fluids

Managed to get the dash out too, looks like previous owners have been in there has a (what was probably expensive back in the day) aftermarket alarm which i need to work out how to remove! and also the red and black wires in the steering wheel (anyone know what these do?) have been cut. will try and carry on with the teardown after work tonight!

Kangoo
Managed to move it along a little more in the last couple of days, the square hole for the main electrical connector has been transplanted from the clio to the kangoo, interior loom has been moved across too, this has thrown up a couple of bits, the two door plugs are different so i guess the pins need swapping from the clio type door plugs to the kangoo door plugs (I'm sure I read somewhere these were plug and play but oh well!) and then the main loom that runs down the passenger sill has male pins on the clio dash loom and the kangoo loom that goes to the rear of the car, is the norm to make up an adapter plug or just re pin one of the plugs with female pins?

Also managed to get the alarm system out of the loom (hopefully!!) what a lot of faff for what was ultimately a system that re joined two wires via a control box! well at least hopefully anyway!

clio now has the engine basically ready to be removed, pulled all of the front hubs struts and driveshafts so i guess that's the next job as the lack of pedal box is what's stopping the dash in the kangoo going back in

Kangoo
So managed to get on a little over the weekend,

IMG_2730.JPG

now has the correct number of pedals. abs pump and servo from the clio installed
IMG_2729.JPG

The clio loom is now all in and behind the kangoo dash, went to rebuild the clio clocks to use the kangoo mounting positions, looks like i need a ph1 or early kangoo clock set to have the correct dial surrounds
IMG_2734.JPG

clio now looking pretty sorry for itself, need to strip the rear hubs at some point then its ready to go to the scrappy, foolishly cut the loom to the rear (the correct side of the plug without realising the clio uses the same colour for a few different things, does anyone have the pin outs for the black connector that is at the front of the passenger side sill? and even better if anyone has the pinouts for the kangoo loom to make a patch lead from?

Next job is get the engine and box cleaned up and find someone who will do the cambelt on a loose engine any recommendations in the portsmouth/southampton area?

cheers

clio
Amazing work looking forward to seeing it finished. Fancied one of these myself. I did see one for sale but was snapped up quick and is going to be given to a members son I believe.

Kangoo
so somewhat delayed update, been getting on with it when i have a few minutes at the expense of adding updates...

IMG_2736[1].JPG

Nice pile of cambelt goodies, loaded up the land rover with the engine and took it over to the clio man, as per recommendations. Gary was great and has built a few of these vans himself too!
IMG_2751[1].JPG

came back, and with some new found enthusiasm started putting it all back together
OGCJ4378[1].JPG

Engine in, started going through the wiring between the clio and kangoo looms, something of a headache but i had expected that!

Finally put some power to it nothing especially untoward, go to turn the key...nothing...

looked around everywhere and found an earth on top of the gearbox not attached, attached that and it fired straight up! excellent! cooling system all needs to go in next, then the main big jobs to do are tidy up the wiring rear brakes and make up an exhaust.

clio
so somewhat delayed update, been getting on with it when i have a few minutes at the expense of adding updates...

View attachment 1559528
Nice pile of cambelt goodies, loaded up the land rover with the engine and took it over to the clio man, as per recommendations. Gary was great and has built a few of these vans himself too!
View attachment 1559530
came back, and with some new found enthusiasm started putting it all back together
View attachment 1559531
Engine in, started going through the wiring between the clio and kangoo looms, something of a headache but i had expected that!

Finally put some power to it nothing especially untoward, go to turn the key...nothing...

looked around everywhere and found an earth on top of the gearbox not attached, attached that and it fired straight up! excellent! cooling system all needs to go in next, then the main big jobs to do are tidy up the wiring rear brakes and make up an exhaust.
Well done look forward to seeing the progress I really fancy one of these myself

Kangoo
Do it!

I have high hopes for it, if its anything like as good as the clio donor it should be great, and also be more useful to me than a car! also been pleasantly surprised by how straightforward a swap it has been so far!

Kangoo
So did some more bits on it last night, went to put the coilovers that were on the clio on it, they appear to be for a 182 trophy or similar as the bolt spacing is not right, and also the holes appear to be for 12mm bolts, more worryingly the previous owner seems to have "made" them fit by modifying the bolts (read gashing one of them down until it fitted) so i think i may revert back to stock suspension struts, annoyingly i was hoping to not spend too much more on this project straight away, will bits like spring retainers, nuts and bump stops from the kangoo struts fit some new 1*2 struts or is it all completely different, sounds tight but bits like that add best part of another £100 on top of struts and springs, if not i guess i will hunt for a good used set for now to get the thing moving!

Mickb

ClioSport Club Member
  van low and 1.6 16v
Got a rare van there with the roof pop up part. The conversions are straight forward enough. You're doing well.

Kangoo
Got a rare van there with the roof pop up part. The conversions are straight forward enough. You're doing well.
Thanks, it seems a bit of an odd spec generally! its not a million miles away from being done now the standard waiting doing bits in between waiting for more parts to turn up, main jobs left to do are :

sort out the wiring for the a/c and blower
mounting of window switches
finding and fitting some front struts
exhaust
seat mounting (might just use the kangoo ones for the time being)

the rest are all little fettling jobs really!

Kangoo
got on with the exhaust last night, a few cuts and some welding and the purchase of one bend (handily had some 2.5" stainless pipe left over from doing the land rovers exhaust) and the Ktec 172 exhaust now fits!

IMG_2831.JPG
IMG_2832.JPG

clio
I was reading the spec on a 172 van that was for sale back in August that I had missed and the guy who had it seemed to do have done a lot more work on it after he had bought it from previous owner. maybe he has some tip s and advice that may be of use to you even though you are doing a great job and the exhaust looks awesome!!!! Hope you managed to solve the front suspension issue out

Kangoo
Despite the lack of updates on the van i have been working away on it around other bits, managed to get it ready for an mot just before Christmas although with the Christmas break it has yet to make it for a test

so to carry on from where i left off, found some second hand front struts, came with lowering springs, great i thought...

Maybe too low... gave up and bought some new 172 cup shocks and springs. whilst waiting for these fitted the 172 seats and started messing around with the blower wiring, spent half a day trying to get this right, at one point the blower speed switch was affecting the wiper operation lots of swearing ensues, give up for the day, go back the following day, put an earth on the wiper rack and boom blower and wipers working as they should...

Next headache, windows, drivers window works fine passenger completely dead, try new switches earths, spend a few more hours looking at wiring diagrams no clue... remember that i had cut up the original clio door loom before i had realised that the clio switches are retained, had bought another loom from a breaker and fitted that instead... so it turns out clios have 2 different types of door loom... stuck the old cut up one back together, windows all work perfectly, cue more swearing...between the window switches and the blower motor i have probably wasted 10-12 hours chasing faults that weren't there

next up decided the oz f1's looked a bit flashy for what i want from the van, ended up buying 4 new 15" scenic steelies and painting them silver

Got a set of new pilot sports on a black friday deal, just over £200 for a set of 4

went to fit the wheels up, fronts bolted straight on, rears foul on the rear shocks, doh! fortunately had some spacers left over from the clio, picked one up and nearly fell over...

Having pulled this clio apart the way it had been "modded" by the PO was shocking in places, hacking down bolts to make front struts that shouldn't fit fit was pretty low, also seems part of his weight reduction strategy was either not replacing bolts or just not doing them up, but these wheel spacers took the cake, clearly didn't fit on the rear hubs about 3mm between the flat face of the spacer and the hub so i guess just make them fit with the kwik fit torque wrench, nice. found the two spacers that must have been on the front put them on the lathe and turned some clearance into the back of them so they fit.

Now its down on its wheels pretty happy with the overall look! just waiting for its mot new week and should be good to go!

Kangoo
*next week!

Also the clio has gone to the great scrapyard in the sky. that combined with the cat from the van and it paid for the wheels and tyres!

clio
Wow!! , you certainly have had a busy time of things and a lot of frustration especially electrics sounds like the windows were a right pane in the ass ( sorry about the pun lol!!) Anyway well done ad i hope you have a Happier and easier New Year and good luck with the MOT

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Spacers are pretty common to do that, I believe it's when people put 15mm ones in the rear when you need 16/17mm minimum due to the protrusion of the disc spigot

Silver steels look mega, just a shame they wobble about like f**k when you get them hot😂

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
@minimental what width and offset are the scenic steels? I’ve got some et42 and 6,5” on my daily van and they sit well with 20mm spacers front and rear. Interested to hear if yours are different 👍🏻

Kangoo
@minimental what width and offset are the scenic steels? I’ve got some et42 and 6,5” on my daily van and they sit well with 20mm spacers front and rear. Interested to hear if yours are different 👍🏻
Et42 x 6.5” sounds about right, can’t remember off the top of my head I run 15mm on the back nothing on the front and I’m happy with how they sit

Kangoo MK2
Despite the lack of updates on the van i have been working away on it around other bits, managed to get it ready for an mot just before Christmas although with the Christmas break it has yet to make it for a test

so to carry on from where i left off, found some second hand front struts, came with lowering springs, great i thought...

Maybe too low... gave up and bought some new 172 cup shocks and springs. whilst waiting for these fitted the 172 seats and started messing around with the blower wiring, spent half a day trying to get this right, at one point the blower speed switch was affecting the wiper operation lots of swearing ensues, give up for the day, go back the following day, put an earth on the wiper rack and boom blower and wipers working as they should...

Next headache, windows, drivers window works fine passenger completely dead, try new switches earths, spend a few more hours looking at wiring diagrams no clue... remember that i had cut up the original clio door loom before i had realised that the clio switches are retained, had bought another loom from a breaker and fitted that instead... so it turns out clios have 2 different types of door loom... stuck the old cut up one back together, windows all work perfectly, cue more swearing...between the window switches and the blower motor i have probably wasted 10-12 hours chasing faults that weren't there

next up decided the oz f1's looked a bit flashy for what i want from the van, ended up buying 4 new 15" scenic steelies and painting them silver

Got a set of new pilot sports on a black friday deal, just over £200 for a set of 4

went to fit the wheels up, fronts bolted straight on, rears foul on the rear shocks, doh! fortunately had some spacers left over from the clio, picked one up and nearly fell over...

Having pulled this clio apart the way it had been "modded" by the PO was shocking in places, hacking down bolts to make front struts that shouldn't fit fit was pretty low, also seems part of his weight reduction strategy was either not replacing bolts or just not doing them up, but these wheel spacers took the cake, clearly didn't fit on the rear hubs about 3mm between the flat face of the spacer and the hub so i guess just make them fit with the kwik fit torque wrench, nice. found the two spacers that must have been on the front put them on the lathe and turned some clearance into the back of them so they fit.

Now its down on its wheels pretty happy with the overall look! just waiting for its mot new week and should be good to go!

Where did you manage to get 4x new steel weeks from ? Have you got a link please.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
  Kangoo
So I have been running the van for a little while, overall loving it so far great mountain bike/tat hauler and people are constantly surprised by how nippy the funny little french van is, didn't realize i hadn't posted an update of it passing its MOT! have since added an earlier grille (i just think they look better) been working through some niggles finally got all the interior courtesy lights to work as they should (i missed an earth! doh!)

things that have come up on the to do list
an abs sensor (right rear) has gone dud
lambda sensor also throwing a code
the brakes seem to have developed a weird feeling to them like a caliper is sticking or a disc is warped as there always seems to be more travel the first time you press the pedal
airbag light is now on, guess i need to go through it and double check the resistors I put in

other than that no major updates really!