ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another New PC Build...

Bumder With A Buffer
Decided im wanting to build myself a new PC for gaming. What I have so far is below..

pc1.jpg

pc2.jpg

Can't decide what RAM to get though...any recommendations??

Bumder With A Buffer
Roughly what is in these 2 baskets shown below. Maybe a little bit more.

PC for gaming and some PCB cading design and or chief architect design.

pc1_new.jpg

pc2_new.jpg

Bumder With A Buffer
But im not "that bothered" about overclocking.

Plus the K doesnt have a few of the features like vt-d

F82 M4
You may not be bothered about overclocking now mate but in the future it could be a great help. You wouldn't have to upgrade your CPU, just overclock the little b*****d and it'll be straight up there with the new big boys :cool:

Bumder With A Buffer
I think I'm sorted with what im going to buy now.

Just over 700 and still need to buy a decent monitor!

What I noticed is how the prices on ebuyer changes so randomly. The k series i5 was down at 170 earlier now its jumped upto 277 (not a huge difference i know) and then in the last half hour or so my basket has increased by 6 quid with the same bits in :S

2.2 bar shed.
No SSD? I'm literally sat here laughing at you spending £700 and not buying a cheap SSD even for cacheing.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
you need SSD in your life chap, only definite spec in any pc I consider tbh, makes a massive massive performance difference for booting and day to day tasks :)

F82 M4
+1 for SSD.You won't be disspointed with the 212 Evo mate, I have it and it's awesome. My i7 now idles at 22-24c :cool: Bear in mind it's quite big by the way, not sure how big that case is...

Bumder With A Buffer
Kind of weird choices if you ask me, you can get another Corsair psu thats suitable for about £15 less, and you would definitely be better off with an SSD

RAM: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-068-PA&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1517
PSU : http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-048-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1084

That's a decent amount saved, put some more into an SSD and jobs a good 'un ;)

I already have an SSD that I can use.

I went for the slightly more expensive psu as it had better wattage...I didn't want to get a PSU that wasn't capable of any future upgrades I might do. For the sake of £10 it was worth it.

Re the SSD, I havent noticed much improvement in terms of speed playing "certain" games.

Unless I had things configured wrong. I was installing OS to SSD and games on HDD and the only things that I noticed were quick were boot times and the occasional opening of chrome/firefox (although id argue that windows was cahing that into RAM)

I already have an SSD that I can use.

I went for the slightly more expensive psu as it had better wattage...I didn't want to get a PSU that wasn't capable of any future upgrades I might do. For the sake of £10 it was worth it.

Re the SSD, I havent noticed much improvement in terms of speed playing "certain" games.

Unless I had things configured wrong. I was installing OS to SSD and games on HDD and the only things that I noticed were quick were boot times and the occasional opening of chrome/firefox (although id argue that windows was cahing that into RAM)

There's the problem then, you could do with the games on the SSD too :)

If you honestly don't see a difference from your SDD to your HDD then I'd say something isn't right, when I moved over it was night & day!

Evo 5 RS
Sata 6gb/s cables are a gimmick. They don't really properly test the bus limitations. I get 560mb/s throughput on sata 6gb/s with sata 3gb/s cables.

Bumder With A Buffer
My only concern about ans SSD was also the fact the storage space is quite small. I had quite lot (20+) of games installed on my hdd. Some of them are like 14gb.

F82 M4
Just put your most used programs on a SSD and everything else on a HDD. I have 1 x 60GB SSD for Windows, 1 x 60GB SSD for Steam, 1 x 2TB HDD for other programs/games and 1 x 2TB for Storage of photos/music etc. Steam now allows you to select where you want to install games to, you don't have to keep it in the same folder anymore.

Bumder With A Buffer
Okay noted.

Did a bit more reading up on SSD stuff yesterday afternoon and got abit more understanding of what the benefits were so added one as well.

Ordered all the bits yesterday at 4pm and shiny things turned up about 2 hours ago.

Although bit of a fail as I bought a windowed side panel for an ASGARD case but it doesn't fit the ASGARD PRO cases I have since found out. Balls. Oh well only £9 and suppose I should of checked on the Xigmatek site beforehand. Although one would think that with a £450 order to OC that they might say "hey you bought this case and side panel but the sidepanel don't fit these cases".

Now im stuck at work with all these shiny things staring at me...I want to play.

Bumder With A Buffer
Yeah to be honest I'm just gonna take the 9 quid hit for the side panel...it would cost me money to send it back so not worth it. Plus I could make the current side panel into a windowed one quite easily at work. Xigmatek list a window version on their site but from what o can see don't sell one yet.

Bumder With A Buffer
Shiny things..

IMAG1402.gif

Random question here too but where do people like to put the Rom drive? I have 3 slots available and am thinking I should put it up the top, but then part of me thinks the bottom bay might be better.

Shiny things..

Random question here too but where do people like to put the Rom drive? I have 3 slots available and am thinking I should put it up the top, but then part of me thinks the bottom bay might be better.

Go nuts and put it in the middle? Live life on the wild side.