ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another New PC Build...

Bumder With A Buffer
Managed to get up-to 4.6ghz and its stable.

Cannot get it anymore then that currently. Up at 4.8 the pc just freezes and doesn't even post the bios, just gets stuck on the bios pop-up screen. I have to turn it off for a few minutes, quickly get into the bios and change things before it freezes again. I assume more voltage is required so what is "safe" voltage to go upto?

Think I had it at 1.3v for 4.8ghz (edit..) but didn't dare go up any higher. TBH its stable at 4.6 so might leave it there. Temps are a maximum of 71 degrees running prime 95 for 10 hours, mainly sat at around 66.

Last edited:
Sounds good, 4.6Ghz is about right and you don't really need anymore for every day use. It's recommended not to go over 1.3v on daily use anyway so sounds good! :)

Wish I could get my older i7 950 @ 4.6 stable, @ 4.2 and still chucks out a load of heat.

edit: And tbh wouldn't want to go over 4.6Ghz on air anyway! What's your temps in prime95 when testing stability? It must reach pretty high @ that clock?

Bumder With A Buffer
Yeah thats my thinking too. My next play tonight will be to see how much I can back off the voltage and it stays stable.

Edit im reaching 72 degrees peak with prime 95 (core temp records max temp reached)

Bumder With A Buffer
Water is already on the cards. I dont intend to run it at this clock all the time until I get my watercool set-up. I also have a load of other things I want to sort out inside like my cable routings and having matching blue/white connectors on things. Bit sad/gay to some people but I like it.

Bumder With A Buffer
I will probably give up after a while...I get bored quite easily doing things like that so may end up just tidying things up and leaving it at that.

Bumder With A Buffer
Picked up some sleeving from KustomPC's and some Sata Connectors and there respective caps, normal straight through ones in pic 2 and end cap type in last pic.

Plan is to sleeve and sort out the Sata power cables from the Antec as the spacing of the connectors is crap!

IMAG1579.jpg

IMAG1580.jpg

IMAG1581.jpg

After that I have a load of sleeved cables from Bitfenix on the way to me to help tidy up things a bit more.

F82 M4
I met Graeme who owns KustomPC's at the last LAN I went to, really sound guy. Proper Scottish though. He brought with him a sick racing seat/PC set up for us all to try out, was immense :cool:

Bumder With A Buffer
So decided to make a start in tidying things up. First off putting the SSD into a 3.5" adaptor and moving it down under the HDD so to free up the space it was using for future "water plans" :)

First off a check on the dust situation after a month and a half...

Little bit on the fan blades and on top of the Antec but nothing major. The capton tape you see is just holding the temp monitor probes in place and is temporary.

IMAG1583.jpg

IMAG1585.jpg

IMAG1582.jpg

So SSD mounted into bracket and put into position..

IMAG1586.jpg

IMAG1587.jpg

Onto the sleeving process...

Tools for the job

IMAG1591.jpg

Marked the old cable where I needed to move the connector too (marked with capton tape)

IMAG1589.jpg

Ran a knife down the heatshrink and then heat blasted. Little trick there it makes it easier to remove and as this is glued heatshrink.

IMAG1592.jpg

IMAG1593.jpg

All the old sleeving is off..

IMAG1595.jpg

Made a note of the pinout just incase :eek:

IMAG1596.jpg

First connector on and heatshrinked etc

IMAG1598.jpg

Got bored taking photos of it so finished it off quick

IMAG1597.jpg

Put in place to show colour difference

IMAG1603.jpg

Then moved onto the next bit which was sorting out as best I could the IO and USB front panel wires.

This was it before...

IMAG1583.jpg

IMAG1604.jpg

Sleeved

IMAG1606.jpg

IMAG1607.jpg

IMAG1608.jpg

Bit neater but not perfect but it'l do

Finsihed (ish) for now. Want to route the SATA power slightly so it goes behind the rom drive instead of coming back down but need to wait till the other bits below turn up.

IMAG1612.jpg

IMAG1613.jpg

IMAG1610.jpg

Lighting is s**t as I cant lay the PC down to get the light on it so relying on flash. Looks a lot better then shown in the pics.

Cant do the other black cable up there as its the annoying USB 3.0 cable that cannot be split at all so will stay as it is. Thats as far as thing are so far. Have a package waiting at the PO with all the individually sleeved BITFENIX cables I bought. So next job is to fit those and start sleeving all the other mess of cables for all the fan control bits, when I put those in I just chucked them in and made them as neat as possible and it was far from "neat" just wanted to get things working. Probably not worth doing all this for some people but it keeps me busy whilst the weather is crap and I can't go running or play footy.

Doesn't make it go faster but its fun to whazz around with. The sleeving is also UV reactive.

Bumder With A Buffer
Question regarding water cooling and radiators.

I have vents etc on the top of the case that can hold a radiator. I'm thinking of getting a double one for future cooling of the graphics card/cards. Do I "need" a large radiator?

My fear with the 240mm one is that it will not fit due to the CD ROM drive. I suppose my option is to get rid of the internal CD ROM drive if need be.

What are you watercooling, just the GPU?

I have 1x 360 and 1x 140 for a CPU+GPU - I'd not go less than a 120 for CPU (assuming you have a decent fan with high static pressure - otherwise a 240 for nice temps), and possibly the same for GPU.

Tbh it all depends how cold you want it to run, obviously the cooler the better.

Alternatively - do you even use the CD Rom drive? They're kinda being phased out now so if you can do without then you may as well. Or how about moving it further down? You'll need room for a radiator + fans.

Bumder With A Buffer
For now I dont think il be cooling the GPU.

Mainly because I would want to do that if i went crossfire and I dont think my mobo (GA-Z77-D3H) supports crossfire x16. So that will be upgraded in the future.

If I go down that route then I would also get a new slightly larger case to accommodate and have some space to work in nicely. So for now I suppose just CPU will be cooled, but I wanted to fit the biggest possible so I could use that radiator in the future.

I dont use the cd rom drive much no. I did think about getting rid actually, its just some of the games I have are on CD's, but worst case if I wanted to install them I suppose I could use one of those external ones that hook up externally.

Last edited:
I'd get a 240 then - most cases will fit a 240 and if you're getting a new case, you can get one which will fit 2 of them, or even more!

I really want the Corsair 900D, my 800D just seems so limited compared to it :(.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Rich going serious with some water now?! :D I love my custom setup but cba with it anymore tbh, hassle come GPU upgrade time and another £100 I have to spend on a decent GPU block and back plate, saying that im waiting for Nvidea to release something better than the 670 in the same price range, my OC'd 580 is only scoring slightly below it so for a £400 upgrade plus having to redo my loop, its a waste of money.

Glad you're enjoying yours, PC's are awesome :) Dunno if I have a pic of mine up somewhere but I won't spam your thread with it! Good choice on the Samsung SSD btw, is it an 830 I assume?

Bumder With A Buffer
Yeah its the 830 seems pretty rapid for boot ups...I initially thought my boot up was slow but from the windows logo popping up to being in desktop is around 10 seconds I think. Total time from pressing on button to desktop is around 25 seconds so 15 seconds is waiting for the bios to post all its crap.

The more time I spend looking at the insides the more the cables have been annoying me. Cable neatness on the top side has always been a bit of an OC'd thing of mine...I may end up making my own looms at somepoint! :eek:

I have wanted to do a full pc build for years, just got lazy with playing on the piss3 and sexbox's. I spent an hour or so last night untangling a load of wires and the missus walked in and said "what are you doing" ...I said "tidying/sorting out my cables they are a mess"...she just said "god your gay" :(

Edit oh I have also overclocked my 7850 (it was the OC version anyway https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-154-MS) and it seems pretty stable.

One more wuestion though, my RAM appears to be running at 1333mhz rather then 1600mhz I assume I can change that in bios? Why is it defaulting to 1333mhz??

Yeah its the 830 seems pretty rapid for boot ups...I initially thought my boot up was slow but from the windows logo popping up to being in desktop is around 10 seconds I think. Total time from pressing on button to desktop is around 25 seconds so 15 seconds is waiting for the bios to post all its crap.

The more time I spend looking at the insides the more the cables have been annoying me. Cable neatness on the top side has always been a bit of an OC'd thing of mine...I may end up making my own looms at somepoint! :eek:

I have wanted to do a full pc build for years, just got lazy with playing on the piss3 and sexbox's. I spent an hour or so last night untangling a load of wires and the missus walked in and said "what are you doing" ...I said "tidying/sorting out my cables they are a mess"...she just said "god your gay" :(

Edit oh I have also overclocked my 7850 (it was the OC version anyway https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-154-MS) and it seems pretty stable.

One more wuestion though, my RAM appears to be running at 1333mhz rather then 1600mhz I assume I can change that in bios? Why is it defaulting to 1333mhz??

Get a new case with cable management, then all you need is the sleeving and it will look tidy :)

Then of course with that, you can then do a full watercooling jobby :p

I also have an 830 - probably one of the best drives out - check in the BIOS to ensure the SATA ports are running in AHCI mode rather than IDE, also there should be "fastboot" options to get past bios quicker!

Bumder With A Buffer
I cannot and will not spend anymore excessive amounts on myself in the next few months! Spent over £900 so far on this build and I want a new vehicle...Il wait until my next bonus before going balls out again on the spending on the PC.

I cannot see an option for fastboot in the Bios. I did read about AHCI last night actually so will check that once I power the thing back up. God thats a worry I hope it works once I have finished messing around!

Bumder With A Buffer
I added one to my basket last night and took it back out. !90 odd quid now! I only paid !39.99.

I might wait to see if they drop again.

Bumder With A Buffer
Package of shiny things..

IMAG1618.jpg

IMAG1619.jpg

Comparison of the Bitfenix sleeved cables and the ones I did

IMAG1621.jpg

IMAG1620.jpg

Pretty good.

Bumder With A Buffer
Finished for now...

Sleeved all the fan controller wires as best I could and put in the sleeved ATX, PCI and 24v wires. Also sleeved the front panel connections as best I could, ran out of sleeving for now and i wasn't going to buy anymore as I have plans to spend some monies on a newer case soon to make way for watercooling plans.

IMAG1632.jpg

IMAG1634.jpg

IMAG1636.jpg

IMAG1646.jpg

The only thing that lets this all down is the lack of cable management and the visible temp probes and capton tape. But thats due to having temperature sensors for my fan controller. Also the connections at the bottom of the MB could be nicer but as said ran out of sleeving to do what I wanted. Was a good practice for next time anyway. The flash brings out the temp sensors more then what you notice them normally but overall looks a bit nicer.

IMAG1637.jpg

So went from this..

IMAG1582.jpg

To this in a few hours on and off..

IMAG1635.jpg

Bring on the next stage...

Bumder With A Buffer
Right to get things started I have been looking at the watercooling kits they do on OC.uk.

Am I missing something here??

This is the single radiator XSPC kit..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-040-OE&groupid=962&catid=1532&subcat=

And this is the double radiator XSPC kit..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-041-OE&groupid=962&catid=1532&subcat=

Only difference being the XSPC dual radiator.

Its cheaper to buy the single radiator kit and buy the radiator seperately and it still works out cheaper then the dual radiator kit :S

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-084-XS&groupid=962&catid=1523&subcat=1525

Am I having a blonde moment???!

Edit yes I forgot the additional fan :eek:

Still works out "cheaper" buying those separately.....by 4 p :eek: :)