ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another newbie to detailing

Clio 182
Hi

Have never really done anything to my cars apart from washed and poshished them so after reading the sticky and some other posts, thought it is time to have a go.

I have felt the paint work after washing and it isn’t very smooth so I am going to buy the meguires clay kit to get it all off. I was next going to try and correct the paint. I have a buffer which can be used but really have no idea how to use it and what with?

Also, I have a bottle of Autoglym Super Resin Polish but want to give the paint work a better shine. Could someone recommend a decent wax/sealent for me for a reasonable price?

Cheers

Clio 182
Sealent; Chemical Guys Blitz spray;
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/chemical-guys-blitz-spray-sealant/prod_227.html

Wax; Massive range, price roughly?

What buffer do you have Jon?

So when cleaning, when will the sealend be applied? before or after waxing or polishing? I thought the wax was also a sealent?

Is this any good for wax:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_199281_langId_-1_categoryId_165527

Or can you recomend a decent paste one? Prices between £20-30

The buffer, I think, was from Motomania and was £25 so I dont think it will be the best. It came with 2 pads. Hopefully It will be good enough to correct my paint?

Cheers

Jon

The Moto what ever it is will do nothing for the paint mate, I assure you.

Simple method is wash, clay, wash, polish, seal, wax.

The wax is not good. A decent wax for your car is R222 available from online car detailing websites.

Polishing wise, I would suggest some simple Auto Glym Super Resin Polish by hand. UNless you want to pay someone to get rid of the swirl marks.

Clio 182
Ok, So just apply the Super resin polish by had all over the car and buff of by hand? Could I not apply it with the buffer?

The paint work looks ok, there is a minor scratch on the front wing which I have tried t cutting out but failed. What would you sugest doing on the plastic wing?

What make is the R222 wax so I can find it?

What about this for wax:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=424278

Cheers

Last edited:
  Porsche Boxster987S
Ok, So just apply the Super resin polish by had all over the car and buff of by hand? Could I not apply it with the buffer?

The paint work looks ok, there is a minor scratch on the front wing which I have tried t cutting out but failed. What would you sugest doing on the plastic wing?

What make is the R222 wax so I can find it?

What about this for wax:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=424278

Cheers
:quiet:

ignore jamie , dodo juice wax is a superb product :)ox). SRP wont remove swirl marks by hand and wont do a whole lot better if used by machine. It just masks the swirls rather than removing them. Some Menz IP would be a good choice by machine followed by a finishing polish , then sealed , then waxed. Take your time on the wing with the machine and work with different pads. Start of with say a finishing pad (soft) and a light polish and work your way up to a more aggressive combo if it needs it until you find a pad and polish which gives a good correction.

Porsche Boxster987S
im about start writing one with pics from the forum. If anybody wants to add anythin i miss please do

Last edited:
Yeah I had thought about this but haven't had the time.

I will be doing my car over the next couple of evenings and intend to do a full write up as well.

edit; thinking about it, if we were to take sections, i.e. Ali, Paul, me, Stephen (Chemguy) and any others that want to help out. Re-write it, discuss editing it . . . ?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Rich has covered the guide on how it's done. Maybe worth while just detailing products, whats best/preferred for certain applications. Pics to support.

Clio 182
Sounds like a good idea for us newbies to read rather than have to ask all the time. I think I have decided what I will do now. I am not 100% it is the best thing but here goes:

1) Wash the car using the 2 bucket technique
2) Clay the car using meguires clay kit
3) was the car again
4) Use my not so good buffer with some polish to get rid of swirls focusing mainly on the wing with the scratch. Can anyone recomend what polish I use?
5) Go over with Autoglym Super Resin Polish.
6) Seal with Chemical Guys Blitz spray.
7) Finally, wax with some sort of paste wax which will last quite along time. Dont know yet which one to buy as there are so many to choose from. I was looking at either the dodo juice or Valet PRO Artemis Wax Seal 100ml tub or something around that price just to start off?

If anyone could give me any pointers or recomentations for the wax and the polish I get.

With my buffer, it was only supplied with one mop for applying and one for removing the polish. Would it be worth buying another mop for applying and where do I find one?

Thanks for the help

Jon

Porsche Boxster987S
get some pads for it. polish i would say menz ip or chemical guys ultra buff. wax - dodojuice

Clio 182
Small list so far:

Chemical Guys - Blitz Spray Sealant CHEE3 £10.39 £10.39
Chemical Guys - Scratch & Swirl Buff Polish ONEV16 £8.65 £8.65
Clay Magic Perfect Finish Kit (100g clay) AWC-88256 £13.00 £13.00
Was looking at r222 wax or dodo juice for a wax. Which one would be better and which dodo juice is the best?

Have I chose the right polish for the job?

What polishing pad should I get aswell? I cant tell the difference between them all.

Want to get them all from the same site which is so far cleanyourcar.co.uk

Cheers

Porsche Boxster987S
Small list so far:

Chemical Guys - Blitz Spray Sealant CHEE3 £10.39 £10.39
Chemical Guys - Scratch & Swirl Buff Polish ONEV16 £8.65 £8.65
Clay Magic Perfect Finish Kit (100g clay) AWC-88256 £13.00 £13.00
Was looking at r222 wax or dodo juice for a wax. Which one would be better and which dodo juice is the best?

Have I chose the right polish for the job?

What polishing pad should I get chemaswell? I cant tell the difference between them all.

Want to get them all from the same site which is so far cleanyourcar.co.uk

Cheers

the polish youve chose will remove the swirls but you should go over the car again with a finishing polish using something like chemical guys pro polish on a softer pad (eg black lake country).

Dodo juice for your car would be blue velvet or purple haze

Clio 182
I have had a look and the swirls arnt that bad on my car. I just want to get one polish for it. which would you recomend from the cleanyourcar website? Or will I always need to use a second polish?

With my buffer, the foam pad cannot be removed and you put and elastic mop with a cloth surface on to apply the polish. Will this website sell any thing like this?

Also, i4d seems to be abit cheaper than cleanyour car. I can find the wax and clay but cant find the sealent or polish. Which from that site would you recomend?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, I just want to get it ordered for this weekend so I can give it a good clean.

Cheers

Jon

Would rather you ask than cause your car damage Jon.

You should do a two stage polish if you are machine polishing mate. It is almost a waste of product and your time to just do one. You need to cut then buff to a finish as most cutting compounds are quite harsh and do not leave a glossy finish.

Standard for me would be Menz Intensive Polish then Final Finish on different pads.

What polishes have people said to use Jon?

Jamie

Clio 182
Ok,

I want to buy all the products from the same site so dont have to do 2 orders and save on postage. cleanyourcar.co.uk has most the products but the menz ip is out of stock. I am definatly going to go for the dodo juice and the clay which both sites have. If i was to order from cleanyourcar, i would also get the sealent you first said.

I was planning on using my buffer as it would seem a waste to not use it. Basically, I need to know what polishes to get and what mops would be best. Im after a decent finish but I dont want all these products to add up to loads. Looking to spend a maximum of £80 for the lot and the wax and clay adds up to about £45.

I havent been told to use anything spacific, i have just been reading people thoughts on here and on products.

If you could give me links to what I would need all from the same site that would be supper.

Cheers for the help

Jon

Porsche Boxster987S
ok , for a one step finish your best bet would be menz power finish. Id always follow up with a second polish though before sealing. Try i4d , polishedbliss , carwashnwax

Clio 182
Hi

I have rang up i2d about what they have recomended for me which i have listed bellow. It is abit more than I was willing to pay but im sure I will be ok. Just want to know what you think? They said that it wouldnt be worth buying any polishes with out a decent machine polisher and that my car hasnt got that bad swirls so i have left that for now. I was going to clay it, then use SRP or prime lite (dont no which way round to use them?) then wax, then wax again then use the mist to top up the wax. What do you pros think:

Cheers

CMPSK Clay Magic Perfect Shine Kit £11.26 £11.26 DJLPL250 Dodo Juice 'Lime Prime Lite' Cleanser Glaze 250ml £11.52 £11.52 DJBV250 Dodo Juice 'Blue Velvet' Carnauba Hard Wax £27.78 £27.78 DJRM250 Dodo Juice Red Mist Spray Detailer 250ml £8.65 £8.65 AGSRP-EXTRA Autoglym Super Resin Polish (SRP) Special Offer £6.91 £6.91

Clio 182
Ok, I have pritty much decided what to order. Just one last question. I have the scratch on my front plastic wing, sume minnor scratches on one of the side skirts and one on the rear quater. What would be the best thing to buy to remove them? I have tried t cut and it hasnt worked.

StevieG-09 - I also looked at that deal and am still not sure if it is ok so am not bothering with it.

CHeers

Stevie, yes that looks to be a decent deal. I am not a fan of Dodo products (because I need to get with the times according to Paul ;) x).

Application can be with your hands for minimal loss of product from transfer onto applicators, or a megs applicator pad.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/foam-wax-applicator/prod_89.html

Jon. SCratch X by Meguirars is your best bet for that. Hand application as well, do not try and do it with a machine!!

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polish/meguiars-scratch-x-v2-0/prod_48.html

Clio 182
Hi

Could I use autoglym SRP then EGP then ultra deep shine then wax over the top? Are all the autoglym products worth getting because I was going to do the 3 for 2 at halfords.

Cheers

Porsche Boxster987S
Hi

Could I use autoglym SRP then EGP then ultra deep shine then wax over the top? Are all the autoglym products worth getting because I was going to do the 3 for 2 at halfords.

Cheers

no , if your going for a 3 for 2 on them get srp , egp and intensive tar remover. Use tar remover before any of the above then clay , then use srp blah blah blah:)

Clio 182
Ok, bought my stuff the other day and gave it a good clean this weekend. Clayed, SRP, EGP then a layer of colinites wax and the finish is looking good. I will get some photos up soon. Would it be worth putting another layer of wax on in 24 hours then spray the dodo juice red mist over the top or is there no need for the red mist?

Cheers

Bus w**ker
Yes, layering will add to the protection and gloss. The QD will give some extra gloss too.

Clio 182
Ok, I will do another layer of wax later today. I noticed after going on a drive that when I feel the paintwork now, that it is not smooth any more. It is as if there are bits of sand on the paintwork when I feel it with the back of my hand. What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Also, what is QD?

Cheers

Porsche Boxster987S
Ok, I will do another layer of wax later today. I noticed after going on a drive that when I feel the paintwork now, that it is not smooth any more. It is as if there are bits of sand on the paintwork when I feel it with the back of my hand. What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Also, what is QD?

Cheers

thats probably just dust from the road you can feel surely?? QD is a quick detailer

Clio 182
It should be, It was very smooth after a wax and then after a half hour drive, I felt the gritty texture. I will give it another coat of wax later then and then a coat of QD spray.

Cheers for the advice

Jon