ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Optimax Topic.

Apologies for this, Im sure your all optimaxed to death. OK - Some people have posted comments relating to optimax and ultimate losing both their RON rating and their addatives when left standing in a car for a period of time. Is this the case?. The reason I ask is that I pretty much only use my car at the weekends, but fill up religously with these brands "optimax prefered" if the tank so much as gets near the 1/2 full notch. Cheers!

111s

^^ haha

Something to do with the lighter/smaller molecules which give it the higher ron value evapourating. Im not a chemist (no sh1t) but im pretty sure its something like that.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

I think Optimax IIRC is normal unleaded with additives, apperently it does have a shelf life which is very short, I can only assume that the additive is very volitile and goes off quickly if not used :confused:

[Edited by ChavyBoy on 03 July 2004 at 12:07pm]

it takes ages for it it to loose anything like huge amounts. It doesnt go into the pumps straight from the refinery does it.

Leon TDI

So in theory, the optimax could have lost all its umph if its been sitting in the garages tanks, long before it ever gets to your car?

Quote: Originally posted by Woof on 03 July 2004

So in theory, the optimax could have lost all its umph if its been sitting in the garages tanks, long before it ever gets to your car?
not really.it takes ages.

Nissan R35 GT-R

Nothing has been confirmed, but an automotive engineer I know of was conducting some tests and he found that the fuel would begin to deteriorate after around 40 days.

I dont think it could ever fall back to 95 ron though, it just has an unofficial best before date.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by 106GTi97 on 03 July 2004

Dont see the point unles having a turbocharged vehicle

Sorry mate but, if you have a car that has a knock sensor the fuels octane can be made use of, especially if the car has a high compression ratio, having said that you are right in the fact that cars like Scoobies will benefit from the higher octane value as it is less vulnerable to detonation IIRC.

Yeah and personally speakin, even if u dont notice any performance gains, its better the run the engine as it keeps it cleaner.

Iirc EVO done a test, on running two cars over 500 miles, one on Optimax and one on normal Unleaded.

The engine running the Optimax was alot cleaner...So that was good enuff for me. Its the only thing I run her on.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

I seem to remember as well but it might be an old wives tale that the old 4 star leaded petrol used to be 99 ron ? Is that the case or was that the old 5 star petrol ?