ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

another problem......front top mounts

Just fitted my koni dampers and eibach sportlines to the front of my 182, flew in a treat, but when i dropped the car off the jacks I noticed that the top mounts although tight, were 3mm clear of the top of the turret.

When I move the steering wheel the top mounts move around all by themselves, not good. And I cant get the top mounts any tighter.

Anyone had a similar problem or know how to fix it?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Seems quite common on some Cars with certain Suspension Setups..... I've got some of those Washers with I've never got around to fitting which wouold probably fill and help with that

172 ph1 2.4 transit
Sounds like you have either missed the spacers out or put them together the wrong way unless your top mounts are knackered anyway before hand !!

I could be missing something, as I bought them second hand from on here. I'm pritty sure I haven't fitted them wrong and the top mounts dont seem knackered, they seem really good.

Its the top mount that screws into the "top hat" section underneath before the whole thing is tight, sounds like a spacer could be missing as clio-coby said.

Clio-coby, your from my neck of the woods, any chance of me getting a couple of these spacers from you? You could even have a cheeky look for yourself and maybe shed some light on it for me?

Mk1 1.2
definatly sounds like spacers to be honest and like you said your sure youve set it up right apart from that not to sure

Yeah defo set it up right, had them out before when I changed my springs, I think the guy that sold them to me may have left something out,

Have you seen these spacers? I've never seen them and wondered what they look like and exactly where they go, any links?

Ah I see, will check out Yozza then. My mate has the same car and same setup, so a bit of comparison tomorrow I think is in order, cheers anyway pal.

yeah, seems different, I know it will seem different because I have different dampers fitted but it kind of "hunts" when driving over little bumps, like its trying to follow the road or something, and when I turn full lock it goes all light and funny right at the end of the lock, I think this is where the struts are moving around the turrets. However I did take it out this morning with my dad, had a little drive, then went for a proper blast and seemed awsome. I just dont like the fact that the top mounts are wobbling around of their own accord really, must be some random camber going on!!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Get yourself to Autotest and get them to Check/Set it all up for you,

I'll be around Norwich tomorrow Night as the GF lives in Spixworth

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Airport Industrial Estate - http://www.autotest.org.uk/

I got them to fit and allign my camber Bolts and they do digital printouts of all the Geo and will be able to tell you if you have any issues with top mounts etc.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
No worries..... They are very good and about the only place local that does Full Geo AFAIK

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Umm..... My Bill was £150ish but that was with them fitting my Camber Bolts aswell which I think brought the Bill upi fairly, Give them a call in the morning as they are helpful and know there stuff so will be able to help you straight away.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
This is normal on all Clios that I have seen/worked on.

Those washers are pointless, make no difference to the knocking.

cheers JME, you have the exact same problem as me, solid top mounts FTW. I'm not sure why they sit up higher, seems very odd.

Problem sorted!!! Spoke to Saun from K-tec and he explained all. The gap in the top mount is normal, I even compared mine to a 172 and a 182 at work, the 172 was worse than mine. As for the diferent feeling in the steering, Saun says its called 'white lining' and is very common when you change all your suspension around, same for the funny thing it does on full lock.
The thing to do to sort the problem is as clio-coby said (and Saun), a full wheel alignement once I have fitted all my bits.

So no problems at all really, thank fook, as I was a little worried.

cheers everyone

No worries, speaking to Saun put my mind to rest and gave me my confidence back in my car again, was a little worried.

Looking forward to fitting my poly bushes and then getting the car all aligned properly, should be ready for Marham track day!

TTRS & V50
Good to see its got sorted.

I also spoke to someone from k-tec for advise when fitting springs on my car, put my mind at rest too.