ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another question about AST coilovers

lol!

the ast sportline 2 on the clio 182 set is an inverted damper, rears are the same as the sportline 1 kit, im pivking up some ast's on sunday and will fit them next weekend so there will be some pics and my thoughts in my project thread

rear coilover unit isnt the be all and end all i just fancy having it if its available. There are v3s. Then there are ast for the same price but with proper rear unit. Then for a bit more there is the ast inverted version. Then for a little bit more there is the kw comp spec. There is 600 quid between the kw comp spec and the kw v3. Now that could get me 2piece discs or a recaro but if its worth spending the extra on the comp spec then why not. I am more than open to suggestions.

What i havent heard anything about on this thread is the benefits of inverted damper vs non inverted. Benefit of rear coilover vs non. Benefit of oil filled vs nitrogen filled etc etc. Would be nice to get some proper tech information.

182cup & 172 racecar
I was just wondering what good standard shocks with slightly stiffer and lower(25mm)springs would actually handle like.Probably good enough for most people,what do you think?

And don't forget caster shim's etc.

ITB'd MK1
I was just wondering what good standard shocks with slightly stiffer and lower(25mm)springs would actually handle like.Probably good enough for most people,what do you think?

And don't forget caster shim's etc.

I think you're right tbh, I'd love it if KYB made some AGX (adjustable damping) shocks. I've used them on other cars for years

182cup & 172 racecar
Just thought it would save a lot of faffing about,most(not all)people haven't got a clue what they are doing when trying to set up suspension and just make things worse, then they say "I've got so and so and they are s**t"

500 Twinair
Trouble with anything is too much choice.
There are lots of coilovers out there, but is it really worth spending over a grand, at least for the ast, when you could get beistein, kw or h&r, which are supposed to be great, or even the cheaper coilovers, ktec and vmax. All depends what you use your clio for, i believe you get what you pay for but sometimes you can pay too much.

DB.

BMW 440i
Thread revival!

What are the average prices for

KW
H&R
Vmaxx

Ive searched but seem to get very varied figures!

Obviously the Ktec one is on their site.

TTRS & V50
Thread revival!

What are the average prices for

KW
H&R
Vmaxx

Ive searched but seem to get very varied figures!

Obviously the Ktec one is on their site.

kw v2-9-1k

h&r 7-8 'dred

v-maxx 350-4 'dred.

Second hand Kw, good luck finding, H&r rare but go for about 4-500. V-maxx 2-300.

Mk2 172
lol!

the ast sportline 2 on the clio 182 set is an inverted damper, rears are the same as the sportline 1 kit, im pivking up some ast's on sunday and will fit them next weekend so there will be some pics and my thoughts in my project thread

The new damper settings on the new kit is massively improved if you have the softer spring rates too. Its what i finally settled on just before i sold the car.
Since october curtis has only sold 2 kits using the new damper rates etc and using softer springs.
I can assure you that these will be much more to peoples liking and do ride alot better on the road.

Mk2 172
rear coilover unit isnt the be all and end all i just fancy having it if its available. There are v3s. Then there are ast for the same price but with proper rear unit. Then for a bit more there is the ast inverted version. Then for a little bit more there is the kw comp spec. There is 600 quid between the kw comp spec and the kw v3. Now that could get me 2piece discs or a recaro but if its worth spending the extra on the comp spec then why not. I am more than open to suggestions.

What i havent heard anything about on this thread is the benefits of inverted damper vs non inverted. Benefit of rear coilover vs non. Benefit of oil filled vs nitrogen filled etc etc. Would be nice to get some proper tech information.

AST's are mono tube and KW is twin tube. You only get monotube on the KW race stuff. Thats one benefit to the AST's.