ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any Auto-Electricians On Here?? Strange Interior Wiring, Gauge Problem..

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Having some really strange issues in my old civic. Removed my old boost/oil temp/oil press gauges to fit some different ones. New ones dont work...Now old ones dont work. All they have is a small wiring harness...12v constant, 12v switched and an earth. I have tested all with a multimeter and they all produce what they should. WTAF?! How can 3 new gauges not work plus 3 old ones. wtf is going on?! So weird.

Are the gauges wired in series? If so, are all the connections unbroken?

'tis strange that both sets don't work, though, and that the wires have power!

Is the earth correctly earthed? Could you wire up the power and then earth to another point, to see if that fixes it?

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Are the gauges wired in series? If so, are all the connections unbroken?

'tis strange that both sets don't work, though, and that the wires have power!

Is the earth correctly earthed? Could you wire up the power and then earth to another point, to see if that fixes it?

Tried that. Tried 3 different earths. The wires can be in series but I’m literally trying 1 at a time. I just don’t get it.

So each gauge doesn't work individually?

Off different earths?

And the power wires have power?

Have you fried all the dials?? lol

If you wire the dials up to the battery directly or another 12v source, could that test if they are working?

(NOTE: I am not an electrician... lol)

Last edited:

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
So each gauge doesn't work individually?

Off different earths?

And the power wires have power?

Have you fried all the dials?? lol

If you wire the dials up to the battery directly or another 12v source, could that test if they are working?
Well this is what im thinking, but how the f**k can i do that with only 12volts ffs ?

I guess the next question would be something along the lines of 'why has it fried all the gauges?' - there's no point buying some more new ones if they'll just die as well because there's an underlying problem... lol

Is the fuse correctly rated?

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I guess the next question would be something along the lines of 'why has it fried all the gauges?' - there's no point buying some more new ones if they'll just die as well because there's an underlying problem... lol

Is the fuse correctly rated?
Yeah there must be a problem somewhere but i cant understand it. I may run new power and earth leads straight from the battery.