ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

any1 gone from a 172 to a 197?

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
theirs a few that have made that move and don't regret it.

Clio 197 cup pack
had a lok at the poll going at the min,and seems the mk 2 is favorite. Is that b cos theres more on here then the 197?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
172, Trophy & 197 Cup.

The 197 loves to rev it's tits off.

Also down my private test track it's quicker than the trophy due to the awesome brakes;)

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
I had 182, 172, 197 and now another 172. but it was a good move, the 197 is improved in all areas except straight line punch. defo nice all round step up.

Titanium 182
I voted 197 in the poll despite having a 182. I test drove a R27 before the 182 and it was amazing, I just couldn't afford it :eek:

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I had 182, 172, 197 and now another 172. but it was a good move, the 197 is improved in all areas except straight line punch. defo nice all round step up.

Exactly & where is the fun in straight lines.
Keeping your foot in, down craner curves is where it's at;)

clio rs
when i bought my cup, its was beening sold as the seller was upgrading to a 197, but few months later, he told me he perfred the cup

Clio 182
i have a 182ff and drove my friends new f1 r27 and you know what? dissapointed. just doesnt seem to pull anywhere near as fast as my 182, feels like it just doesnt want to release the power! i really wanted to like it but just couldnt. very accurate steering but feels heavy and sluggish, dont rate it at all over 1*2's.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Feels, but aint ;)

Its called refinemant. The things you hate about the 182, you know, the stiff long throw gear change, the grrrrrrrrrrrrr from the engine/drive train, the RATTLES, spindley thin hard melting steering wheel. Gone in the 197. It oozes win tbh ;)

I've gone from 182 to V6 255 to 197, and honestly out of those the 197 ticks more boxes than the 182 and V6.

Performance apart the 197 is such a lovely place to be in.

Nimbus 197
I know I have more confidence in the handling of a 197 than any previous clio. Only the over long 1st to 3rd annoys me a touch, but once ran in the 197 is NICE, the difference between the 5-10k cars I drove and the 21K car I bought is amazing.

VRS, 200CUP, S1
my172 cup was faster and better in corners (only due to coilovers) until it went bang. have just picked up a 197 and it is far more comfortable to drive, mainly due to it being 200kg heavier! but if you have to accommodate any kind of passengers then 197. totally up to you and your needs for the car......

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Well,

I've went from a 172, to a 182, to a 197.

All I can say is wow ! I will try to be objective about this when comparing the 197 to the 172/182 but this is all just IMO

Pro's
More comfortable
Seats that actually hold you in the corners (Recaro's)
Superb build quality.
Epic handling.. absolutely pisses over my 172 and my cup pack'd 182 (and I 100% mean pisses !)
Brilliant driving position mainly due to decents seats and height/reach adjustment on steering.
Brilliant 6 speed gearbox with close ratio's and short shift changes. I no longer feel like i'm stirring porridge (and no there was nothing wrong the gearbox in my 172/182)!!
Keyless entry and engine start/stop button.
Looks brilliant, parking one of them next to a 172/182 really shows just how dated they are.
Just rev's and the power delivery is so smooth. I can see when people think they are not as quick as the 172/182 but look a quick look at the speedo proves otherwise !
Engine makes a great noise, the 172/182 sounded terrible in comparison.

Con's
Fuel economy - the 172/182 definitely gave better mpg.
Slightly higher rpm's at motorway speeds.

I would say with the 197's extra weight straight line it would be very close indeed, but could see the older models edging ahead. As said previously, handling wise there is no comparison, the older models would be embarrassed plain and simple.

Ultimately, would I ever consider going back to a 172/182 ? not a chance in hell ! Renault have made massive leaps and bounds in the jump to the 197 I cannot stress just how good a car it is.