ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AP coilovers

Whats the general opinion on these?
Better than say prolines and cup shocks?

My car will never be an out and out track car. I would like to do at least 3 a year though but its going to spend most of its time on the road to be honest taking me from work and back and just me driving.

I know super stiff is the general consensus for track car but lets not forget the R26R had SOFTER springs than the R26 F1 team due to the weight loss.

Where's that from?

From searching I've done no one on cliosport actually seems to like any suspension thats available. I was debating on cup dampers and pro line springs the added advantage as it looks stofk to an insurance company.

Where's that from?

From searching I've done no one on cliosport actually seems to like any suspension thats available. I was debating on cup dampers and pro line springs the added advantage as it looks stofk to an insurance company.

on here and other forums about AP generally, not found a positive comment.
I know what you mean though about opinions on coilovers. I'm tempted to try the B14s myself as I'd like more control over the ride height and Don't want to spend a grand on suspension!
I'd recommend cooksports over Eibach springs if you're tracking it, not stupidly low either and imo better handling.

I think im going to go for b14's as im no pro driver and I spend more time on the road tbh.

That and I couldnt set a car up....if I did that the car would end up being a fwd drift car the way I like to drive lol

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Got them on my Mk3, and they've been really good. Harsh ride (but that doesn't help with 17's either), but they've been on nearly 3 years, done a good 22,000+ miles and 4 trackdays without any issues.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Not sure if I've replied to you on a different thread about them but I had AP's on my A3 and they were brilliant. Search for them on the VAG forums and you'll hardly hear a bad word said about them.

I'm undecided on what to get for my 182, either AP's of B14's. I think for the price of them direct from Germany, I'm going to go for B14's for a bit of a change.

Yeah im still undecided to be honest £400 is still cheaper than the B14's and im not looking for a pro racer setup just something thats more darty for the roads and nicer on track.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Getting something for £500 that people are paying £200-£300 more for is too good to resist. Plus, I had a ride in @dann2707 182 which had B14's and the ride was excellent.

End of the day, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I've had them for 3 months now.

Can't say I've driven the car though. They're made by KW.

dan's cast offs.
my 182 came with them on and they are an ok set up even on standard top mounts. if you can push your budget a bit then i'd say go for a set of bc coilovers, ok the rear isn't a coilover BUT you can set the preload on the front and then adjust the height whilst keeping the preload set.

SQ5
Done about 6000 miles, all free and can be moved. Still look new.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431554426.809552.jpg

SQ5
They will fit 172/172cup/non cup 182's I believe. 54mm I think that makes it.

Everything is still on the car at the moment as need to sell these to buy new FK Konigsports

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
They will fit 172/172cup/non cup 182's I believe. 54mm I think that makes it.

Everything is still on the car at the moment as need to sell these to buy new FK Konigsports

How come you're swapping to FK's out of interest?

I may be interested in the KW's, just need to measure my bolt spacing at the weekend.

Seems like its a tough choice in the clio world.

With saxo's you just boot on some b8's or grp n's unless you are a race driver in which case its GAZ or LEDA or something...

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
My advice would be get the billies. They have been faultless on mine.

I am swapping to ASTs but only because mine has become less road and more track, as opposed to vice versa.

Mine will be up for £350 in a month or so.

I stopped in at AMD a few weeks ago to enquire about some AP coilovers. They had them listed online but when I stopped in they told me they had stopped stocking, supplying and fitting them, when I asked why they told me that the quality of the AP coilovers had dropped and their manufacturing had moved to a different part of the world and because of such they had cut all ties with AP. The chap compared their quality since them changing manufacturer as "Similar to Ebay items".

I've used KW before on my EP3, Tein, Gaz, Spax, JIC, FK, and haven't had any real complaints, only ones I wouldn't use again are Avo. For me they would have to have dampening adjustability, and be somewhat affordable.