ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ar Ar Arrr from the mighty shark

clio cup 172
HI all

Just bought a 172 cup in the usual blue. The main reason for buying it is to enter sprints. I bought a 6 point bolt-in rollcage from KTec which arrived last week, which I intend to fit tomorrow. If anyone has fitted one and has some tips for installing please let me know as I am expecting it to be a bit of a nightmere! I also bought a 6 point harness and an OMP raceseat. Again any tips for fitting, please let me know.

The past cars I've owned with any decent power have been rear wheel drive. When I had my first oppotunity to stretch the Cup's legs I found that I had loads of torque steer which gave the feeling of the steering being slightly vague. Is this normal, is it just something I'm going to have to get used to?

I'm impressed with the forum and you guys seem to be a friendly bunch.

Regards
Jonathan aka mighty shark

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Dont normally torque steer a great deal, and the steering normally would feel very sharp.

Maybe check your tyres and have your tracking set up

welcome tho

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
torque steer is quite normal, wel i think it is, as for steering check the obvious things.

don't think they torque steer much at all for what they are, although they do hunt cambers keenly. i've recently run over something in mine and it does (now) seem to wander a little more than it did - only mentioned as it may be worth getting yours checked out (or comparing it with another), incase it's had a similar problem in the past?

whereabouts in the country are you sprinting?

clio cup 172
I am sprinting in the Liverpool & Chester Speedchampionship and the Lancs and Cheshire Championship, not yet decided on which venues but most likely Anglesey Circuit, 3 sisters, Thoresby Park and others to follow.

I am begining to get used to the Torque Steer, it does appear to do it worst on country roads with alternating cambers and the tyres need swapping as the guy I bought it off had put 'Bravious' and 'Millenium' tyres on. Sound like budget tyres to me. I am thinking of putting Toyo TR1 on as they are 2nd in your poll and they are £200 for 4. They are a soft compound but would suit sprinting anyway.

Think I also need to upgrade the brakes as they were smoking heavily after a run out this morning and the brakes were fading badly. Any suggestions on discs and pads? and are the discs and pads easy to swap for a novice mech?

Well spotted on the rubadubbers!!

wp-finbar-800x600.jpg

lush - are you going to blog your championship? be really interesting to read as there don't appear to be many sprinters on here

discs and pads are straightforward and there's quite a bit of opinion about
pads on here

clio cup 172
happy to blog it, are you suggesting to put it on the forum as a new thread? and would it be of interest to report on how to go about it and/or report on my progress/experience?

There was two brothers at a sprint last year at Thoresby Park, Nottingham both running 172 cups. Did quite well!

whatever format takes your fancy i guess:)

personally would be interested to read post event reports (planning on a season in mine once funds allow; would be really interesting to hear how you feel it copes, and how it fares against the competition)

i'm sure there'd be people who would be interested in info on how to get started - really is a great, cheap way to get into motorsport and there don't seem many who partake on here

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've only ever found torque steer to be an issue with well worn tyres, apart from that most of the time it's not an issue.

As far as brakes go, try the search as there's so many different opinions.

I've tried most and settled on Carbon Lorraines with plain Brembo HC discs + lines and a fresh bleed.

Like that, fade is not an issue. Ever.

Noise is though. Always.

I'm interested in how you get on, as I ultimately want to do exactly the same with mine :approve: