ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are 182,s that badly built?

clio 182 black /gold
As some of you know im having problems with my 182 been back 5 times for suspension knocking,they say strut top adjustments and now it has gone back for a drive shaft and CV joint and while it is in they say my rear shocks are leaking. Are these cars so poorly put together or have i got a white elephant? If there that rubbish im going to ask for my money back because i have no faith what so ever in this car. :( Sorry about the rant.

One with a few more
In terms of french cars - pretty well built. But comparitively to other marques? not so well built!! But thats to be expected tbh

Yaris Hybrid
Luck of the draw. Sounds like you just got unlucky.

My mate had a CTR that had a few things go wrong like the headlight and the head unit. He px'd it in the end but recently met up with the next owner who reported that the gearbox went and that was only at 45k miles. If that happens to a Honda what chance does a Renault owner have!

So far I've had to manually fix the knocking when you lift off by sticking rubber in the engine mount and I had an emissions light problem that was cured by avoiding short journeys.

Tangoed Works
I reckon some of you rag your car too much. My 182 is on 18k now without any rattles or problems.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
jayxx83 said:
I reckon some of you rag your car too much. My 182 is on 18k now without any rattles or problems.

Thats a good one! The 182 is designed for being pushed to the edge reguarly,thats why they built the thing. Some of us get lucky and some get unlucky,i'd say you were just unlucky with all your faults.

Clio Williams Rsi
French is French

Some are good some are bad some are downright awful

Chop it in try you luck and get another

Build quality isn't near the top of the list it's not on it

Tangoed Works
Of course its designed to get pushed, but some people take it the wrong way, thinking that because the car has good performance its somehow also indestructable.

Rag a Ferrari the same way and things will also go on that, I spoke to one 360 owner who gave it welly all the time and he had to spend 15k on an engine rebuild because of a hairline crack in 2 of the cylinders.

BMW Z4 3.0i
IMO the rattles simply come from trim becoming unsecure with all the shaking about you get from the firm suspension. Not too much to do with how you drive it.

182... again!
Sounds unlucky fella...I've just had minor hassles with mine! Not good enough but was expecting minor hassles. Would be pi**ed with major mechanical problems like yours...

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I test drove a p reg VR6 highline yesterday and was shocked at how solid and well plated it was compaired to my 182.It was 10 years old and felt really good

ian

Interesting point about the Golf. Totally agree about how well screwed together they are. Now that 182 is a discontinued model the knocking from 182 suspension, unfortunately, may have to be lived with. Has anyone without Cup suspension reported the same noises? The strut top elongation mod does cure the noise that sounds as though the suspension is going to collapse! The occasional click as you pull away though persists. I dare say that through communicating through these forums we may wel cure these faults ourselves!

The suspension was questionable on the 172 it replaced.
Just goes to show how much development went into it...

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
i dont particularly rate french cars. nothin ever straight forward on em. however i think renault are million times better than pugs or citroens. i've had 4 205 gti and a 106 rallye - pain in R-se - and a 16v clio in between em and now 172 and are much better built.
my bmw 328 was better built as in it felt more solid and less rattles, but still needed bushes, clutch and bits doin as much as my renault.
reckon £ for £ clios are pretty well put together.