ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are clio 172 reliable cars?

Clio
Hi all im new to this forum but have been a Renault fan for a while now! Ive owned previously a brilliant mk1 clio and have fond memories and have recently bought a mk2 clio 1.2 for temporary run around. Its a great little car and hasn't gone wrong on me at all! and due to it being a temp car I haven't exactly given it an easy time! so the times come to get an upgrade... Clio 172 are they equally as reliable if I cherish it?

Astra (H) VXR
I've had mine 18 months now, never regretted it for a single moment. Engine is solid, on 99k it's due a service really but it's going strong. Gearbox is still great, clutch gives no signs of slipping and the has no history to say its been done so I assume its the original. Cam belt has been done a regular intervals. Only issues I've had with it was a worn bearing, a knocking ball joint and a cracked abs ring. All very minor. Easy to fix also!

Couldn't suggest buying one more to anyone.. Just make sure it has good service history, and cam belts done with proof unless your prepared to have it done after buying.

One thing that irritates me is the steering wheel being so crap and tatty.. But it's on a list of things to do over the next year..

Buy one, get a good one and I promise you won't regret it.

172, BMW 120 Msport.
Owned for 7 years. Had 15k on the clock and now has 48k.

Serviced regular and had the Cambelt changed. Apart from wear and tear I ain't spent a penny.

M2 Comp
I've only had my 182 for about six months and so far it has been very reliable. The only money I've spent on the car has been through choice really.

RB Clio 182
Owned 8 month now and not had one single problem, its the most reliable car i have ever owned FACT!

​I only got the car until i got back on my feet but its a keeper, why change when its so much fun, and reliable.

Rusty Cup
Out of warranty French car = Mechanical/Electrical time bomb!

i loved my 1*2 for 3 years but it was by far the most problematic car I have owned in 12 years of motoring.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
they are reliable if looked after, problem is only a handful of ones have been now, but once you fix all the common problems and faults then they are pretty bullet proof if you keep looking after it!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Out of warranty French car = Mechanical/Electrical time bomb!

i loved my 1*2 for 3 years but it was by far the most problematic car I have owned in 12 years of motoring.

With regards to 1*2's I'd say that's rubbish.

I had my 172 for over 5 years from 57k to 115k and never had issues of that nature. In fact other than wear and tear items it was near enough faultless! Touch wood my 182 will serve me just as well!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You do get 1 in 10 that seems a dog but I go as far to say that for such a big engine in such a little car both the 172/182 are reliable.

Had mine two years 51 plate only had 38k on the clock when I got it spent out for cambelt reg oil changes back box as it fell off rear discs and pads and tyres that's it . My mate who got a golf hit at same time has spent alot more on that

172 Cup
Mine has just crossed 100k too. I've heard of gearbox synchros going but that could be because a lot of people don't know what GL4 is and put GL5 in or it could just be they get abused.
Exhaust mounts go quickly but they're cheap.
Rear dampers again go quickly but are £35 each and easy enough to replace. But the dampers will go quickly on any car if you drive it hard.

So basically they're about as reliable as any other car.

Audi A5
They are very reliable and cheap cars but if neglected they can become costly.

Lots of little niggerly things with these, faulty tdc sensors, leaky rear shock, play in track rod ends, inner rack joints and top mounts, faulty coil packs etc.

My 182 has been faultless even with a 2mm gowge out of one of the cam runners, and scored to f**k cams the thing still ran well. That engine wason 117k miles. Engine is now out with a 59k one going in.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
The 172s are getting on now. But as per everyone else comments, they are not Jap...not German...but for the money...you will struggle to have as good a laugh. If the car is maintained properly and the belts are done, etc. Then you should have no issues. Niggles are with any car, I've done about 150k in 2 Clios over the years and had no major niggles apart from alternator failure on the 182. That is nothing in about 8 years of Clio 172/182 ownership apart from normal wear and tear issues.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
My 182 has done 37k since March 2013 and the only thing to go wrong has been an alternator which happened 3 days after I bought it so the garage sorted it for me. Other than that its been absolutely great and mine gets abused daily!

RB Clio 182
My 182 has done 37k since March 2013 and the only thing to go wrong has been an alternator which happened 3 days after I bought it so the garage sorted it for me. Other than that its been absolutely great and mine gets abused daily!

37k in 3 months??

Clio 182 Cup
Why are you all talking in kilometres and not miles? What unit does the mileage and trip measure in? My Clio is a Mark 2, 1.2, 2004 plate. Cheers!

And on topic, had mine a month and very pleased with it, hoping nothing will go wrong. Previous owner had it for 2 and a half years with no problem. Next door neighbour also had the same model etc. for 5 years with no problems.. Know there not 172s! ):

PB Clio 172
they are really great cars have had mine coming up to 3 years now with hardly any problems. My air con compressor went in the first year but that's the most expensive thing to have gone wrong, and that wasn't much to put right !

Ryan172

ClioSport Club Member
  Iceburg 172 ph2
I have owned my '02' 172 for a little over two years and apart from wear and tear (Tyres, rear brake pads oh and Aux&Timing belt) the only thing i have needed to replace was the gearbox earth strap as it rotted out. Best car ever owned and got no intentions on selling and its now on 94k.

04 Clio 172, Meg 250
Just done a 250 mile trip around the highlands the day. Didn't miss a beat and was pretty good on petrol aswell considering the roads. I've had it just over a year now and apart from the alternator and a track rod end going nothing has went wrong with it. Much better than my old car which was a vw.

i think as long as they are looked after they are !

You will get the odd person who has problems but every car has that , and as a rule most people that say they are unreliable don't look after them or spend any money on them at all IMO

Had mine about a year ish now, done all the wear and tear bits been good as gold (touch wood)

I bought my 172 off a mate a year ago. He looked after it impeccably in the several years that his missus used it as a daily driver, and it was perfectly reliable. Since I've got it I might as well have moved into my Renault parts department :lolup:

I bought my 172 off a mate a year ago. He looked after it impeccably in the several years that his missus used it as a daily driver, and it was perfectly reliable. Since I've got it I might as well have moved into my Renault parts department :lolup:

Your unlucky :( feel for you mate ! overall i think they are no less reliable than any other car you buy !

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My 172 broke everytime I drove, all huge problems, had 3 gearboxes lol.

​My 182 was awesome, did track days, very few things went wrong.

Your unlucky :( feel for you mate ! overall i think they are no less reliable than any other car you buy !

It's not that bad. *Touch wood* nothing major has gone wrong with it yet, and I get a nice discount from Renault ;).

I've had performance Renault's for 14 years, so I know what they can be like! I got it to use as a cheap runaround as my Evo is a bit too much to use every day. The thing is, the Evo is very reliable, but when it does break it costs a mortgage to fix. The Clio on the other hand, breaks every 2 minutes, but costs pennies to fix :lolup: