ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are dCi's really this good on fuel??

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
As well as that, I'm browsing the internet now, looking for 106bhp compatible parts to make some more power...
Turbo will bolt on with a nice decatt ;)
think pumps are the same anyway, injectors might be slightly different and obvs mapping

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
I was told in another thread, that the injectors and fuel pump were different, but can't find anything to back up the fuel pump.

Is the turbo different too then?

And yeah, remapping would be a must.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
106 turbo is bigger yep, 86/88 turbo spools up mega quick though no lag like the 106 has, but the reward of the 106 is more puff higher up the revs, if you just blast about town id probably keep the 86/88 turbo and just map that!
I had a 88 when my 106 was in under warranty and I didn't find it that much slower!, infact if anything I was surprized how responsive it was compaired to the laggy 106, benefit of the 106 was the 6 speed box though

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Just mapp it then JP, decat will help spool up aswell. Will be surprised how much better they can be from just a map. Standard factory maps are just generic to save time

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah, that's the plan. My poor bike build budget looks to be heading towards the car at present.

Remap, Decat, bucket seat, harness...

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Get a proper decat made, the standard one bashed out isn't brilliant for power tuning.
Got mine made out of stainasteel (sp) with two new flanges for around 80-100£

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Haha, yeah, I won't be bashing the standard one out.

​Haven't actually seen where the cat is on my MK3.

Did you get a backbox as well fella?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Haha, yeah, I won't be bashing the standard one out.

​Haven't actually seen where the cat is on my MK3.

Did you get a backbox as well fella?

Mines straight through, no cat no boxes . Altho you might need some sort of silencer as they do sound loud lol

Think your cat is in the same place as mine, back of engine under the turbo

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
It does lol, fuel pump and injectors. Plus half the dci's that get driven to complete empty on the tank loads of times are more often to have fuel system failure. I've fixed to many dci fuel systems now to realise they're built s**t.

The engine itself will be fine tho

Just filled mine with £50 worth of Diesel, didnt quite brim it though.

Doing a big road trip this weekend Kent > Bristol > Chester > Blackpool > Bristol > Kent, and will see how far I get until I need to refuel ;)

Many.
It does lol, fuel pump and injectors. Plus half the dci's that get driven to complete empty on the tank loads of times are more often to have fuel system failure. I've fixed to many dci fuel systems now to realise they're built s**t.

The engine itself will be fine tho

You've never seen one go at 70k then? I've seen two (albeit on non-clios, other renaults) at similar mileage.

Its not just the Renault group DCi engines that suffer the same problems. Mileage is irrevlent, if its been looked after, it will be fine.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I've seen one go at 30k lucky enough the woman had a clio 3 so warranty was still on it.

Regardless unless its be cherished most of the higher millage mk2s are going to have the problem sooner or later.

Just like fords 1.8tdci using almost the same fuel system

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My driver did 200 odd miles in my dci (65) today and it showed average 67.9mpg on the trip when she got back!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
thats impressive dan! the 65's seem to do better on fuel that the others for some odd reason.

well my tank is nearly in the red , i refuse to actaully run it til the fuel light for many reasons but the millage reading is 557 miles in a tank :)

no complaints about that.

Ph1 track car, Dci
Just used a full £60 tank in the DCI, its done.... 625 miles. Could have manybe done abit more but dont like to run it on fuel light.

Thats with a drive around wales so up and down hills, and mostly outside lane motorway. Plus a few short journeys, so a mixed drive.

66 mpg

:D

Last edited:

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Impressive :D I would like to hit the magical 700 but no way am I running the tank into red or doing constant motorway miles

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
mine just seems to get worse the more tunning parts I add to it. I fucked the c220 merc turbo off as that was making it drink fuel.

standard 80 turbo now. might change the cooler for a more cubic volume one

Ph1 track car, Dci
This thread makes me want a DCI ... Brill mpg :)

Mate if you do alot of miles, just go for it. i went from £80 a week in fuel to just under £40. My journey times wernt any slower, ok so not as fun but epic mpg you soon get over it. That and i have a 172 at home, you should run one along side your 182. It will probably still be cheaper than most people pay to finace a new car!

Just look for a good one as said, in 6 months mines cost me nothing other than two tyres and servicing. I put a sport interior and plastics in to make a nicer and comfier place, and its perfect.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Bit different, but I love my Mk3. Comfy, pretty refined (it's now on coilovers), and does stupid mpg. My record is about 760 miles from a tank.

Usually with normal commuter driving and the odd spirited run, I'm getting about 56mpg.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Cus you have a Bosch revised fuel system JP ;) not like us hero's running Delphi-destroy-completely-itself system

would of loved a mk3 at the time I was looking but this one was cheap enough to warrant all the crap I've done to it

Clio 197
Mate if you do alot of miles, just go for it. i went from £80 a week in fuel to just under £40. My journey times wernt any slower, ok so not as fun but epic mpg you soon get over it. That and i have a 172 at home, you should run one along side your 182. It will probably still be cheaper than most people pay to finace a new car!

Just look for a good one as said, in 6 months mines cost me nothing other than two tyres and servicing. I put a sport interior and plastics in to make a nicer and comfier place, and its perfect.

Thing is I don't do a lot of miles , so no need for the DCI over my 182. I would seriously consider one if my mileage drastically increased though :)

Many.
While out on track yesterday at Castle Combe I averaged 29MPG, ragging the f**k out of it, redlining etc.

On the way home, Filled up at Shell just off the M4, and got home 130miles later (M25/M11), after doing 55mph all the way, with the display showing 99.9mpg, I'd love to know how high it actually got, Ruined it going out afterwards, although took about 20miles of pure ragging to get it down to 90mpg.

Love it.