ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are K-tec spacers safe?

CLio 172
Hey guys, thinking of running some 19mm hubcentric ktec spacers front and rear on my clio 172.

I'm just wondering if its safe to use as I've heard people saying the extended bolts means more pressure on them? Thanks

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Absolutely fine, provided they are fitted properly by someone who knows what they’re doing. Go for it!

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
No real concerns with force on bolts, but big spacers can put more force on bearings. 19mm wont make a hug difference but depends on if thats combined with low offset wheels.

CLio 172
No real concerns with force on bolts, but big spacers can put more force on bearings. 19mm wont make a hug difference but depends on if thats combined with low offset wheels.
Thats good to know. THe wheels are stock ph1 wheels so I think et43 or et48? Thanks for your reply!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Some folk definitely get wound up spacers. So long as they're decent quality, fitted properly, and aren't ridiculously large, then they're fine.

Plenty of competition cars run them and they take way more abuse than road cars.

19mm hubcentric will be absolutely fine.

CLio 172
Some folk definitely get wound up spacers. So long as they're decent quality, fitted properly, and aren't ridiculously large, then they're fine.

Plenty of competition cars run them and they take way more abuse than road cars.

19mm hubcentric will be absolutely fine.
I've also heard the bolt to hub type are a lot safer than just slip on hubcentric ones like the Ktec 19mm ones? Do you think this is true?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
It's swings and roundabouts really in my view. Bolt-on ones are more convenient, as you don't have to faff about lining the spacer and wheels up with the bolt holes, but you could also argue that they're worse, as you effectively have twice as many wheel nuts/bolts that could potentially come undone.

In reality though, provided they are hubcentric, and have been fitted correctly, there isn't much to worry about. All you're really doing is effectively making your wheels a slightly wider offset. There are thousands of cars out there running spacers without issue. Loads of people in Clio world do it, so you will be fine.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Echoing others here hub-centric spacers with longer bolts + correct torque (120Nm) = no issues here, run 20mm on the front and 15mm on the back with 16" 182 wheels

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
I’ve had a H&R bolt to hub hubncentric spacer come loose on me once. They can’t come off as the bolts will wind out so far then hit the wheel. I could feel the vagueness in the rear end and sorted it straight away, obviously not ideal but a little fail safe.

CLio 172
I’ve had a H&R bolt to hub hubncentric spacer come loose on me once. They can’t come off as the bolts will wind out so far then hit the wheel. I could feel the vagueness in the rear end and sorted it straight away, obviously not ideal but a little fail safe.
Hmm thats pretty scary... Did you torque down the bolts to spec? I wonder how often this actually happens

CLio 172
Coatings on the mating faces for either the wheel to hub or nut/bolt angle.
Thats crazy how much of an impact that has. I've also heard its common for bolt to hub spacers to fail because the studs on the hub itself poke through the spacer and theres a space between the hub and spacer?